does my thermostat need replaced

does my thermostat need replaced

Postby and3008 [OP] » February 15th 2017, 1:58am

My check engine light came on in my 2001 Astro. I had Advance Auto do a diagnostic and they came up with a faulty thermostat. I bought a new thermostat, but it's taken me several days to get around to replacing and then today my check engine light has gone out. I've not been having any heater problems, that I've noticed. Is it possible that it was stuck open and now it has come "unstuck"?
Original Poster [OP]
and3008
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Years of Membership: and3008 has been a member for 4 full yearsand3008 has been a member for 4 full yearsand3008 has been a member for 4 full yearsand3008 has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 4
Year: 2001
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • Ground wires on thermostat housing?
    by JohnK4321 » November 23rd 2016, 6:35pm in Climate Control
    3 Replies
    Last post by AstroWill View the latest post
    November 23rd 2016, 8:46pm
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    May 23rd 2017, 11:55am

Re: does my thermostat need replaced

Postby chevymaherchevymaher is online! » February 15th 2017, 2:06am

They do that. But if it is what is wrong it will happen again. Just replace it and see what the old one looks like,
chevymaherchevymaher is online!
Team Leader
Team Leader
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: chevymaher has been a member for 6 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 6 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 6 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 6 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 6 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 83
Alias (AKA): chevymaher
Year: 1994
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: SLE RWD Mercruiser

Postby AstroWill » February 15th 2017, 2:34am

I agree with Randy, it is most likely going to happen again. It's cheap and easy insurance.
AstroWill
Team Leader
Team Leader
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L6)
Years of Membership: AstroWill has been a member for 8 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 8 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 8 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 8 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 8 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 8 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 8 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 8 full years
Topics: 66
Extra Info: 90TigerGTv8 03AWD

Postby dramey » February 15th 2017, 3:44am

You can test a thermostat by putting it in a pot of water and turning on the heat. Use a thermometer and see what temperature the thermostat opens. If it doesn't open and the water is boiling or the thermostat opens at the wrong temperature, it is defective.
dramey
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L1)
Topics: 7
Year: 1997
Extra Info: AWD Cargo Van

Postby AstroWill » February 15th 2017, 4:09am

thermostatdiagnosis.pdf
(36.66 KiB) Downloaded 5 times
AstroWill
Team Leader
Team Leader
Years of Membership: AstroWill has been a member for 8 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 8 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 8 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 8 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 8 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 8 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 8 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 8 full years

Postby ccookie66 » February 15th 2017, 8:03am

Does your temp gauge do anything funny? Mine jumps around a lot, the highest it got was a little over half, then it just plummets back down to a quarter. I gotta replace mine too. But like others said, you might as well replace it. You never know, it could get stuck closed and leave your stranded or worse. Plus it is easy to change, unless you break the bolt off in the head. :animals-deadhorse:
ImageImage
The Astro is always a turn key away from adventure.
ccookie66
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L2)
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L2)
Years of Membership: ccookie66 has been a member for 5 full yearsccookie66 has been a member for 5 full yearsccookie66 has been a member for 5 full yearsccookie66 has been a member for 5 full yearsccookie66 has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 134
Alias (AKA): Cameron
Year: 1992
Extra Info: 4.3L V6 TBI Shorty

Postby MI_Ghost » February 15th 2017, 10:31am

ccookie66 wrote:Plus it is easy to change, unless you break the bolt off in the head. :animals-deadhorse:

Maybe!
That all depends on the ground wire on the rear housing bolt. The complete stud and nut has a nasty habit of breaking loose before the ground wire is removed. You have to hold the stud with a (15mm??) angle wrench to get the nut off it to remove the wire before you can remove the stud. And the housing is on the front of the intake manifold.

I have not heard of any problems with the housing bolts breaking on the 4.3. That is more common on the 2.8 and 3.1 engines.
~Ghost
Ast' Cargo: 2001 Astro Cargo
MI_Ghost
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: MI_Ghost has been a member for 1 full year
Topics: 2
Alias (AKA): Ghost
Extra Info: Big White RWD Box

Postby chevymaherchevymaher is online! » February 15th 2017, 12:49pm

MI_Ghost wrote:I have not heard of any problems with the housing bolts breaking on the 4.3. That is more common on the 2.8 and 3.1 engines.

Sure ya did ccookie just said his broke and he was teased immercifully for years.
chevymaherchevymaher is online!
Team Leader
Team Leader
Years of Membership: chevymaher has been a member for 6 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 6 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 6 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 6 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 6 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 83
Alias (AKA): chevymaher
Year: 1994
Extra Info: SLE RWD Mercruiser

Postby AstroWill » February 15th 2017, 3:06pm

There was only one instance I recall that ever happening...
AstroWill
Team Leader
Team Leader

Postby Mmusicman » February 15th 2017, 3:36pm

DO NOT DRIVE IF ENGINE LIGHT/OVERHEATING!

Avoid seriously OVERHEATING the 4.3!
They are notorious for blowing head gaskets as a result.
A simple $5 part can turn into a nightmare!

They can stick or go bad at any time without notice!
It's happened to me.

You got a warning!
2000 Chevy Astro LS AWD | 31" LT265/70R17 Tires | 8" LIFT | 10" TOTAL
92 Chevy Astro Shorty | V8-350
http://www.CruisinSouthFlorida.com
Mmusicman
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L2)
Years of Membership: Mmusicman has been a member for 3 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 3 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 3 full years
Topics: 35
Year: 2000
Extra Info: 2000 AWD 92 V8-350

Postby Lumpy » February 15th 2017, 3:53pm

See what Maher and MM said there?

Symptoms are starting to appear. Change it now, while you're home, in the driveway, your choice of weather and light/dark etc. Alternative is change it while you're parked in the ghetto at 1am because the thing blew while you were buying crack.

While you're there, change the hoses and belt. Unless you've ever changed them the parts are at least 16 years old. Over three times their life design-expectancy.

Discover your DexCool status and treat accordingly.

Lump
Lumpy
250k+ Miles
250k+ Miles
Years of Membership: Lumpy has been a member for 7 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 7 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 7 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 7 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 7 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 7 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 7 full years
Topics: 261
Year: 1989
Extra Info: 11 in. lift Camo

Postby sixsix » February 15th 2017, 5:11pm

Lumpy wrote:Alternative is change it while you're parked in the ghetto at 1am because the thing blew while you were buying crack.

In some circles... speaking of something like this is tantamount to bold faced insult and an embarrassment. Not to mention downright Slander.
The OP probably won't threaten you as you have done to others in the past. And w/o PM - there's no way for a private conversation with you.
You never said " LOL " or a simple... "just joking".

You dish this stuff out, but let someone joke around about you ( as I regrettably did back in July 2015 ) and... well, it is just not right or fair.
I learned my lesson and will only answer you from a straight-up question - no more Banter or Jokes since that date.

I joke around a lot and am overtly sarcastic also , but have learned my lesson ( because of you ) as I NOW include a disclaimer of some sorts so the receiver does not consider me a threat, just looking for a laugh, a grin, a funny response.

And... I have tried real hard to not be Overtly Mean. Others... not so much.

Sincerely, Mike
The Van's Build: viewtopic.php?f=127&t=59385

"Though the hippopotamus has no sting, the wise man would prefer to be sat upon by the bee."
- Banacek

sixsix
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L2)
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L2)
Years of Membership: sixsix has been a member for 3 full yearssixsix has been a member for 3 full yearssixsix has been a member for 3 full years
Topics: 21
Alias (AKA): Mike
Year: 1992
Extra Info: LT W-CPI Motor 200K

Postby TurnNburn » February 15th 2017, 5:58pm

What was the code they pulled that led them to believe it was a thermostat? I didn't think Astros had a "thermostatic efficiency" code.

If you have DEX in there it would definitely not be unheard of your thermostat sticking. As a default, most thermostats default to open when stuck. Leading to longer warm up times, not coming up to operating temp and worse gas mileage.
2000 Astro- 7'' lift, NP233C 4x4 T-case, 31x10.5x15 A/T, ongoing camperization in progress
"If you wont drink a beer with me then we probably cant be friends"
Build thread- viewtopic.php?t=103066
TurnNburn
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: TurnNburn has been a member for 1 full year
Topics: 6
Alias (AKA): My friends call me fluffy
Extra Info: 4x4 Overlander

Postby zach914v8 » February 15th 2017, 6:17pm

Just a shot in the dark here, but my guess is a p0128.
My Rides:

1974 Porsche 914 powered by a 305 Chevy v8.

1994 GMC Safari TBI 4.3, Lifted 4"
zach914v8
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: zach914v8 has been a member for 7 full yearszach914v8 has been a member for 7 full yearszach914v8 has been a member for 7 full yearszach914v8 has been a member for 7 full yearszach914v8 has been a member for 7 full yearszach914v8 has been a member for 7 full yearszach914v8 has been a member for 7 full years
Topics: 12
Alias (AKA): ballzach
Extra Info: 4 inch lift

Postby and3008 [OP] » February 15th 2017, 6:35pm

Thanks for all the info - I will go ahead and have it replaced. :(
Original Poster [OP]
and3008
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Years of Membership: and3008 has been a member for 4 full yearsand3008 has been a member for 4 full yearsand3008 has been a member for 4 full yearsand3008 has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 4

Postby AstroWill » February 15th 2017, 6:37pm

It's a great beginners project :)
AstroWill
Team Leader
Team Leader

Postby Lumpy » February 17th 2017, 4:23am

sixsix wrote:
Lumpy wrote:Alternative is change it while you're parked in the ghetto at 1am because the thing blew while you were buying crack.

In some circles... speaking of something like this is tantamount to bold faced insult and an embarrassment. Not to mention downright Slander...

OK. Alternative is to change it while you're parked in the ghetto [Airport Extended Parking / Grandma's Summer home in upstate NY / 1 block away from your house] at 1am because the thing blew while you were buying crack [girl scout cookies / crankshaft position sensors / municipal bonds]...

Fill in whichever you feel doesn't offend the OP.

Lump
Lumpy
250k+ Miles
250k+ Miles
Years of Membership: Lumpy has been a member for 7 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 7 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 7 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 7 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 7 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 7 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 7 full years

Postby WoodButcherWoodButcher is online! » February 17th 2017, 6:07am

No need to be politically correct Lump, just don't go out of the way to abuse the newbs.
We all know that the "kits" for anything are a rip.
We all know that at least once a month some newb will ask for a lift / suspension "kit" or some other kit that is readily available for most other 4WD off roaders or anyone else gullible enough to pull out their gold card.
You don't need to answer...
WoodButcherWoodButcher is online!
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L5)
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L5)
Years of Membership: WoodButcher has been a member for 6 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 6 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 6 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 6 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 6 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 28
Alias (AKA): Bruce
Year: 1997
Extra Info: 4.3 RWD

Postby Lumpy » February 17th 2017, 8:13am

Bruce, Mike, if either of you feel personally offended by something I say, please tell me. I'm not here to offend anyone. I generally throw a big handful of darts and only some of them land in the cork.

OP never complained but if I offended you sir/ma'am in some way I apologize.

I have bananas in my ears. It's an occupational hazard.

Lump - Class Clown
Lumpy
250k+ Miles
250k+ Miles

Postby Mmusicman » February 17th 2017, 2:02pm

What ever happened to good ol fashioned comedy and sarcasm???
Everybody SO easily offended... although I don't think anyone actually was here.
Personally, I didn't "see a problem" and thought the "exaggerated" funny answers were fine... made for effect to make a valid point. I guess I missed something...
2000 Chevy Astro LS AWD | 31" LT265/70R17 Tires | 8" LIFT | 10" TOTAL
92 Chevy Astro Shorty | V8-350
http://www.CruisinSouthFlorida.com
Mmusicman
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Years of Membership: Mmusicman has been a member for 3 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 3 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 3 full years
Topics: 35
Extra Info: 2000 AWD 92 V8-350

Next