Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

Electric heat with van turned off?

3K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Big_kid 
#1 ·
Im converting mine to sort of a camper van and may do some winter camps.
I was wondering what sort of options there are to run heat for 1-3 nights without running the engine?

#2 ·
Propane.

Electric heat requires a LOT of energy, I don't see batteries holding up at all. Check around camper message boards, I know it's been discussed a bit in the past on the popup portal. You'd need a propane setup and a deep cycle battery (isolated from the starting battery) to power the blower fan. I sold the one I had, and haven't ever tried to use the one in our current camper.

#3 ·
Cheap propane option is a Mr. Buddy heater. The downside is a fair bit of moisture is put off and there is an open heat element in your van (keep away kids/dogs/sleeping bags etc. Also, it will only run about 6 hours on one can, so you have to wake up in the middle of the night to keep the heat going. Sucks to use up so many cans. I think there is a way to hook it up to a bigger tank, but you also need to store that in the van somewhere. It is a nice option if you have a great sleeping bag and only need heat in the evening for a while and in the morning to take the edge off.

Expensive option is an Espar gasoline heater that taps into your gas tank... I just installed one and its amazing, but $$$$$$$$$.

Either way a smoke/CO monitor is a good idea.

#5 ·
The only real option for me would be a fuel burning and vented RV style furnace. Most commonly running propane which is the cheapest and least amount of maintenance, but also requires a propane tank. There are also diesel($$$) and gasoline($$$$) heaters/furnaces but they tend to be more expensive and will require more maintenance. They all have thermostats which I wouldn't want to do without.

I have also used the Big Buddy style catalytic heater once, but that for me is definitely a no-go. No thermostat, turn it on, turn it off. Way too much moisture and by-product released into the inside of the vehicle. I would only consider something like that in an emergency. Mine sits on a shelf with a bulk tank adapter, just in case of an emergency.

#6 ·
I love these ideas and the co detector is a great idea!
Ive used the buddy in the past and I agree with the moisture and changing bottles.

The RV style gas furnace idea might be the way to go. My thoughts about it are... will it be small enough for a van... I dont want to be cooked lol.
Also moisture is a concern I like it fairly dry. Do these put out mich moisture?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.