Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

How to add dye and purge lines???

5K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  timothy47130 
#1 ·
I want to add dye into my AC System to find a leak. I have manifold gauges on order, and I purchased a UV light and a small bottle of dye. As I am learning about how to work on AC-- it sees that I can add some dye to the yellow line, and then hook it to R134a, and gently bleed/purge the line. Will this work, or will I lose all my dye? The dye injectors cost $50 or more, and do not seem worth the money.

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

#3 ·
What dye did you get. The small can that takes the r134a refigerant can tap? Or the injection type dye that you have to shoot into the system?

#5 ·
I purchased 1 oz of injection dye. Today, at AutoZone, I purchased an "AC Pro" UV Dye injector for $12. It is just a low side adaptor, small filler for the dye, and then extends to a low side port. So I can just put this on, when I add freon, and I will be able to inject the dye. This is the kind of contraption I was looking for, vs. the expesive injectors. Hope this helps some other.

http://rechargeac.com/products/our-bran ... pair-tools

#6 ·
That type of dye with the injector works well but can be a bit of a mess. You can also buy a can of dye. They generally contain 2 ounces of dye and 2 oz of oil or refigerant. You can also buy a can of refigerant with dye already in it. They usually contain 2 oz of dye and 10 oz of refigerant. I usually pay about $6 for a small can of dye charge. And around $20 for the refigerant with dye. And don't forget that uv light will come in handy for leak detection on other things as well. Autozone sells coolant, trans, oil and power steering fluid dye as well.Good luck

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.