Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

blower motor resistor, and wires keeps on burning up.

17K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  five10freak 
#1 ·
Please help.....I have a 2001 Astro that I bought new, and up in till the last year has been trouble free. I started having problems with the front air blower motor working. I replaced the resistor, 3 times, AC/Delco, Napa, then Autozone. Within 2 months, it would burn again. Well two months ago, I bought a new blower motor, and another resistor. I even bought a new AC Delco pigtail, and rewired it. Finally everything worked, and I figured the blower motor was the culprit. Guess again.... Last night, to my surprise, and disgust, the new plug is burnt, (only on 1 connector, the left most pin) and my blower motor stopped working on all speeds but low. I also noticed that my rear air switch on the dash is burnt as well. Obviously, there is so resistance, but where.
I see so many posts with the same issue, and have been told this is a common problem with the Atros. I have heard of guys rewiring the wires all the back to the firewall, behind the battery.
Please help.....
Thanks, :screaming:

#2 ·
Well, that does pull some electricity. Since you went through so many parts, I'd start looking elsewhere. You may want to check the ground on the circuit and chassis. That can cause a voltage drop that then drives up the amps and heats everything on the circuit.

Good luck and keep us posted.

#3 ·
The common cause usually begins with the blower motor wear and it starts drawing too much current , which causes the red wire connection on the resistor plug to burn up and also burns up the resistor , usually both the blower and resistor are replaced at the same time, though sometimes just the blower needs replaced .
You may have a defective dash control module or a short on it causing problems , you can get a good one at a salvage yard for about 10 bucks if you remove it yourself. There is also a gray 5 wire connector behind the battery where the same red wire connection gets burned due to too much current flow and needs replaced , The Ac delco resistor is better quality and will last longer then the aftermarket ones , common for the aftermarket ones to go bad in a year or two, I believe the connectors are called c100 and c101 and the resistor plug , If it were mine i would start with examining the HVAC control panel where you say it is burnt and likely replace it , then inspect the connector behind the battery to see what condition it is in, then replace the resistor pigtail again , you can find a good used one , if you have a good salvage yard nearby where you can examine the parts before you get them , and use a test light on all connections in all the connectors and HVAC panel , I would even take the blower back and exchange it for a new one under the warranty, you may have gotten a bad one , and make sure that all of your ground connections are clean , remove them and clean them up for a good clean ground.

When replacing the resistor plug pigtail or the other connectors it is best to solder the connections and not use crimps because of the high current flow , the connection may be weak and add to the resistance of the circuit or just may come loose enough to halt power coming through .

#6 ·
I had no fan on hi speed last winter and had found that one of the wires had melted in plug. I replaced it with new plug, now new plug is melted at the large orange wire instead. I noticed on the wire diagram that there is a ground on that wire on radiator support near headlight. I cleaned the ground which was rusty and replaced the burned connector with a good one from old plug. It's working again but if it heats again I'll be adding a relay for sure, too cold up here all ready to be without heat.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.