Blower Motor replacement help

Blower Motor replacement help

Postby 2002astrovan [OP] » July 27th 2011, 7:18pm

Hello,

I am needing to replace the blower motor for my 02 astro. I have loacted it and I am sure that is the problem, but is there an easier way to remove the blower with out removing the whole plactic cover that it has? The plastic cover is big and it covers what looks like the whole AC system. I know I will have to remove the resivour tanks, but do I have to remove that cover? If someone can help please do so. Thanks!
Original Poster [OP]
2002astrovan
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Years of Membership: 2002astrovan has been a member for 3 full years2002astrovan has been a member for 3 full years2002astrovan has been a member for 3 full years
Topics: 1
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author

Re: Blower Motor replacement help

Postby Phantom » July 27th 2011, 11:54pm

After you remove the coolant bottle , to the far left is the blower motor , after you have unplugged in from the blower resistor , remove 5-6 small 9/32 or 7mm screws and it will come right out ,
Item 17 is the blower , it comes out with the cage blower blade #16
Attachments
2002 AC blower .png
2002 AC blower .png (15.57 KiB) Viewed 4326 times
Phantom
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L4)
Years of Membership: Phantom has been a member for 4 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 4 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 4 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 15

Postby rev_les » July 28th 2011, 4:38am

Follow the instructions molded into the blower motor housing, you have to carefully take a razor knife, and cut along the molded lines to allow access to the motor. I don't remember exactly, but i do remember it was a bit of a pain at first.
Figure out the problem before buying parts
NRA Lifetime Member
2'nd amendment supporter
'13 Jeep Patriot
'01 Safari 150K 4.3 "W" 3.42's
'87 Monte Carlo SS
'79 Avco 32' RV
rev_les
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L3)
Years of Membership: rev_les has been a member for 5 full yearsrev_les has been a member for 5 full yearsrev_les has been a member for 5 full yearsrev_les has been a member for 5 full yearsrev_les has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 38
Alias (AKA): Les
Extra Info: LS 4.3 RWD

Postby Phantom » July 28th 2011, 3:37pm

Using the knife applies to the blower resistor , to enlarge the cavity the resistor fits in. The aftermarket resistors are shaped differently , using the original GM/Ac Delco resistor I did not have to do any cutting , I just test fit it and it was perfect , The resistor came with a paper template and instructions on where to put the knife , I have not yet seen a Gen2 that needed cutting only heard about it and have the template .
Let us know if you had to do any cutting .
under the blower mounting hole in the housing, and to the right you can see the slot where the resistor goes .
Phantom
Years of Membership: Phantom has been a member for 4 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 4 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 4 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 4 full years

Postby 2002astrovan [OP] » July 28th 2011, 5:44pm

Thanks for the replies! I am going to start on it now. I will let you guys know what I had to do once I am done. Check back in about 2hr or so, hopefully I will be done and have posted something by then.
Original Poster [OP]
2002astrovan
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Years of Membership: 2002astrovan has been a member for 3 full years2002astrovan has been a member for 3 full years2002astrovan has been a member for 3 full years

Postby 2002astrovan [OP] » July 28th 2011, 10:02pm

Ok this is what I did: I first removed the headlight(to give clerance for the coolant bottle to come out), then removed the coolant bottle, then you take a utility knife and cut along the mold lines. Once you have cut the all along the mold line the blower motor will be exposed. There is a screw holding the newly cut out cover, so you have to remove the scew. It is located at the far left (hardest screw to get to). After you take that screw off the cover will come off. There after, you will have 4 other screws to take off and the blower motor will come out. Reverse all steps to reinstall. So it did require cutting and I used a 7/32 socket for the screws of the blower, a knife, and a screw driver. This was for 2002 Chevy Astro Van. Hope this helpful to someone and again thanks for the replies.
Original Poster [OP]
2002astrovan
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)

Postby Phantom » July 29th 2011, 5:00am

Thanks , interesting those extra steps :)
Phantom

Postby rev_les » July 30th 2011, 6:32am

Yepper, sounds like the same procedure as on my '99.
Figure out the problem before buying parts
NRA Lifetime Member
2'nd amendment supporter
'13 Jeep Patriot
'01 Safari 150K 4.3 "W" 3.42's
'87 Monte Carlo SS
'79 Avco 32' RV
rev_les
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Years of Membership: rev_les has been a member for 5 full yearsrev_les has been a member for 5 full yearsrev_les has been a member for 5 full yearsrev_les has been a member for 5 full yearsrev_les has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 38
Alias (AKA): Les
Extra Info: LS 4.3 RWD

Postby banner1124 » August 2nd 2011, 12:11pm

So what's the point of that cover that's around things? This is the first vehicle I've had where there was a cover to remove to get at the blower motor.
banner1124
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Years of Membership: banner1124 has been a member for 3 full yearsbanner1124 has been a member for 3 full yearsbanner1124 has been a member for 3 full years
Topics: 5
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari

Postby drmmhmd » August 2nd 2011, 4:12pm

2002astrovan wrote:Ok this is what I did: I first removed the headlight(to give clerance for the coolant bottle to come out), then removed the coolant bottle, then you take a utility knife and cut along the mold lines. Once you have cut the all along the mold line the blower motor will be exposed. There is a screw holding the newly cut out cover, so you have to remove the scew. It is located at the far left (hardest screw to get to). After you take that screw off the cover will come off. There after, you will have 4 other screws to take off and the blower motor will come out. Reverse all steps to reinstall. So it did require cutting and I used a 7/32 socket for the screws of the blower, a knife, and a screw driver. This was for 2002 Chevy Astro Van. Hope this helpful to someone and again thanks for the replies.

Was that the problem? did you check the relay in the neighbourhood,
drmmhmd
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L1)
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L1)
Years of Membership: drmmhmd has been a member for 3 full yearsdrmmhmd has been a member for 3 full yearsdrmmhmd has been a member for 3 full years
Extra Info: AWD 400 CID

Postby banner1124 » August 3rd 2011, 1:13pm

Also, once you take that cover off, does it go back on? Seems like a silly question but because there's cutting involved I wasn't sure
banner1124
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Years of Membership: banner1124 has been a member for 3 full yearsbanner1124 has been a member for 3 full yearsbanner1124 has been a member for 3 full years
Topics: 5