Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

Which heater core?

1K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  greatjutt2 
#1 ·
I have a little girl due in December so I need to get my rear heat working asap. I have a 2000 Astro with factory rear heat and AC. Heat and air work great up front, AC works great in the rear, but heat does not work in the rear, it just blows cold. I am assuming that the heater core is a good place to start on fixing this problem. I went on Rock Auto and do not know which heater core to purchase. Does anyone know the part number or have a link? Or if you think it is something else, what do I need to check?

#2 ·
I would not think it to be the heater core. Not familair with rear heat in these astros. I would guess you have a valve in-line on the heater hose that probably went bad. My new heater core just came from rock auto- it was "main" heating core. It was of average quality. I would say call rock auto if unsure, they seem to know their stuff.

#4 ·
Plumbing to the rear heater coil is very simple and easy to understand, at least it is in my 89.
Suggest you get under your van and trace the route of the two hoses. They start from near the
passenger front, cross behind the engine, then continue rear, next to the fuel line, to the
rear heater area. Run your entine to temp, turn on the rear heater switch on the dash,
then shut down and get under there and feel to see if one hose is warm and the other cool.

If one hose is warm, suspect the rear core.

If it isn't, suspect something else like the dash switch (pretty likely).

Lumpy

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.