Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

Blower resistors, why do they keep failing?

4K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  RECox286 
#1 ·
My 2003 Astro goes through around 2 blower resistors per year. I live in Lake Havasu City, Az, and it's very hot in the summer, but everyone seems to have the same issue. I always loose the high speed. Is there an actual fix, instead of just replacing the resistor? Appreciate any help.

#2 ·
You might check the current draw of the motor, I don't know what it's rated for normally though. Contacts & grounds are all clean & tight I assume?

Welcome aboard!@

:chevy:

#4 ·
Yes, this is just one of those irritations that come with the truck. I would suggest that you replace the fan motor when you

have to replace the connector/resistor pack the next time it melts. You could try to make it a direct connect rather than a

plug-in type, but I doubt if that would help b/c the resistor pack still won't like the amperage draw that the motor is pulling

thru the circuit. Check the grey connector behind the battery, if yours is wired that way.

Good hunting...

Uncle Bob

#6 ·
along the same thought process, you are blowing the resistors because they are just holding out for soooo long and finally conk out after too many heat cycles. They engineer these vans to run in all climates, so there is something going on due to age/wear and tear and I'd agree with the blower motor being the culprit. Beyond that, you are looking at ground problems causing a higher resistance in the circuit.

#7 ·
I would look and test for a bad ground Or low supply voltage. A circuit if there is high resistance in the ground or poor voltage supply.The electric motor going to draw what it needs. Which means amperage goes up and heat when it does.
Poor contact at that plug in will also cause that.

As an example of bad contact causing a heat problem on a larger scale. My house the main breaker was bad I replaced it. Next day I get a call at work my wife smelled burning wires. I get home the breaker was hot and frying again. The bus bar where the breaker plugs in had corrosion on it. High resistance. It was producing welder spark after it heated up and literally melted the breaker. I unhooked my service out side. Cleaned the pits and corrosion off the bus bar till it was shiny metal again instead of dull white.That solved it. Been cool as cucumber every since.

On My antiquated van there a contact that bolts on the blower motor. Where the vans ground plugs in. If that blower motor ever been replaced then there is paint under the contact.Or maybe there is just corrosion under it on yours. I had problems with a new blower motor. Took it back out and sanded the paint off the bower motor where the ground contact bolted on cleaned the metal on the back of the contact and bolted it back together. For mine that has solved it.

I hope this long winded explanation sparks a train of thought that helps you get er done.

Randy.

#8 ·
^^^^ Hey Randy (MC),

How come youse can say it better'n I can ? T'ain't fair... Youse should write a book ! (Seriously)

Uncle Bob

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.