Blower resistors, why do they keep failing?

Blower resistors, why do they keep failing?

Postby spectra871 [OP] » December 17th 2012, 1:36am

My 2003 Astro goes through around 2 blower resistors per year. I live in Lake Havasu City, Az, and it's very hot in the summer, but everyone seems to have the same issue. I always loose the high speed. Is there an actual fix, instead of just replacing the resistor? Appreciate any help.
Original Poster [OP]
spectra871
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Years of Membership: spectra871 has been a member for 4 full yearsspectra871 has been a member for 4 full yearsspectra871 has been a member for 4 full yearsspectra871 has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 1
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: 4.3 V6 RWD

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author

Re: Blower resistors, why do they keep failing?

Postby Big_kid » December 17th 2012, 4:14am

You might check the current draw of the motor, I don't know what it's rated for normally though. Contacts & grounds are all clean & tight I assume?

Welcome aboard!@

:chevy:
95 Astro Conversion of unknown lineage
We have enough youth. How about a fountain of smart?
Big_kid
Team Leader
Team Leader
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L4)
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L4)
Years of Membership: Big_kid has been a member for 6 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 6 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 6 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 6 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 6 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 74
Extra Info: 2WD conversion

Postby 4POINT3GMC » December 17th 2012, 7:04am

Check the plug for discoloration / overheating, this seems to be a problem.
You may have to get one from a boneyard if it is.
February 9th 2010, 6:17pm
4POINT3GMC
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Years of Membership: 4POINT3GMC has been a member for 4 full years4POINT3GMC has been a member for 4 full years4POINT3GMC has been a member for 4 full years4POINT3GMC has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 2
Alias (AKA): 4POINT3GMC
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: Explorer Convers

Postby RECox286 » December 17th 2012, 6:25pm

Yes, this is just one of those irritations that come with the truck. I would suggest that you replace the fan motor when you

have to replace the connector/resistor pack the next time it melts. You could try to make it a direct connect rather than a

plug-in type, but I doubt if that would help b/c the resistor pack still won't like the amperage draw that the motor is pulling

thru the circuit. Check the grey connector behind the battery, if yours is wired that way.

Good hunting...

Uncle Bob
Start a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm the rest of his life.

Sent using two Progresso soup cans and a string
RECox286
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L4)
Years of Membership: RECox286 has been a member for 4 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 4 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 4 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 31
Alias (AKA): Uncle Bob
Year: 1993
Extra Info: RWD V6 [325K mi]

Postby Thunderball » December 18th 2012, 5:04am

Yep....blower motor is most probably going bad, pulling too many amps. It'll just keep blowing resistor packs.

Good Luck.
_________________________________________________________________________________
2001 Astro LS - 4.3L V-6 - RWD - 260,000 miles
Thunderball
250k+ Miles
250k+ Miles
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L1)
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L1)
Years of Membership: Thunderball has been a member for 3 full yearsThunderball has been a member for 3 full yearsThunderball has been a member for 3 full years
Topics: 8
Year: 2001
Extra Info: LS 4.3L V6 RWD

Postby redfury » December 18th 2012, 5:16am

along the same thought process, you are blowing the resistors because they are just holding out for soooo long and finally conk out after too many heat cycles. They engineer these vans to run in all climates, so there is something going on due to age/wear and tear and I'd agree with the blower motor being the culprit. Beyond that, you are looking at ground problems causing a higher resistance in the circuit.
A temporary fix usually becomes a permanent solution, therefore it does not exist.
doghouse removal by me!http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIJ0kuROlbU
redfury
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Red Status (L3)
Red Status (L3)
Years of Membership: redfury has been a member for 3 full yearsredfury has been a member for 3 full yearsredfury has been a member for 3 full years
Topics: 39
Alias (AKA): Mike
Year: 1998
Extra Info: LT 5.7L 4wd

Postby chevymaherchevymaher is online! » December 18th 2012, 9:37am

I would look and test for a bad ground Or low supply voltage. A circuit if there is high resistance in the ground or poor voltage supply.The electric motor going to draw what it needs. Which means amperage goes up and heat when it does.
Poor contact at that plug in will also cause that.

As an example of bad contact causing a heat problem on a larger scale. My house the main breaker was bad I replaced it. Next day I get a call at work my wife smelled burning wires. I get home the breaker was hot and frying again. The bus bar where the breaker plugs in had corrosion on it. High resistance. It was producing welder spark after it heated up and literally melted the breaker. I unhooked my service out side. Cleaned the pits and corrosion off the bus bar till it was shiny metal again instead of dull white.That solved it. Been cool as cucumber every since.

On My antiquated van there a contact that bolts on the blower motor. Where the vans ground plugs in. If that blower motor ever been replaced then there is paint under the contact.Or maybe there is just corrosion under it on yours. I had problems with a new blower motor. Took it back out and sanded the paint off the bower motor where the ground contact bolted on cleaned the metal on the back of the contact and bolted it back together. For mine that has solved it.

I hope this long winded explanation sparks a train of thought that helps you get er done.

Randy.
chevymaherchevymaher is online!
Team Leader
Team Leader
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: chevymaher has been a member for 3 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 3 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 3 full years
Topics: 58
Alias (AKA): chevymaher
Year: 1994
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: SLE RWD cam ported

Postby RECox286 » December 18th 2012, 3:53pm

^^^^ Hey Randy (MC),

How come youse can say it better'n I can ? T'ain't fair... Youse should write a book ! (Seriously)

Uncle Bob
Start a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm the rest of his life.

Sent using two Progresso soup cans and a string
RECox286
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Years of Membership: RECox286 has been a member for 4 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 4 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 4 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 31
Alias (AKA): Uncle Bob
Year: 1993
Extra Info: RWD V6 [325K mi]