Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

AC blowing warm air and compressor not kicking on...

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  thegreenmachine 
#1 ·
Okay, so after all the work I did on the radiator replacement I find out today my AC only blows warm air. :x

It was working fine last summer so I was thinking a R-134a recharge might be what I need but I started trouble shooting I became concerned that my compressor is no longer working.

The van is a 2000 Astro AWD, when I turn the AC on max and set the fan on high I just get warm air. I parked the car and popped the hood and I noticed that the compressor clutch is not turning at all. From what I know the compressor should kick on and off as needed. With the car off I can spin the compressor clutch easily by hand it does not feel like it's binding on anything. I also checked the AC compressor fuse and it looks okay with no break.

Is it still possible that the compressor is just not working because the refrigerant level is too low? Is it worth getting a refrigerant kit and charging it to see if the compressor will start working once it's fully charged?

What else can I do to verify if the compressor is still in working condition or if it need to be replaced?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.