Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

Heater core leaking?

3K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  dave1950 
#1 ·
I have a 1999 Astro and I think the heater core is leaking . I am getting a smell like hot antifreeze and my windshield keeps fogging up. This just started yesterday. Is it the heater core and is there a fix besides replacing it? The engine temp has been running a little high and the radiator was low yesterday.

#3 ·
Fortunately, the later model Astro's are easier to fix. GM did this part right.

You can pickup a heater core from Rockauto.com, or try a nearby Napa auto parts store, usually from $40 to $80.

Remove the heater core hoses in the passenger side of the engine compartment. You may want to replace the compression ring spring clamps with regular hose clamps. You'll know why after you take them off.

Place a large old towel over a large plastic bag that completely covers the passenger footwell. We don't want a mess.
Remove the (I believe six, possibly eight) Torx head screws in the large flat smooth cover under the dash on the passenger side. There may be an additional bracket that you will have to remove the Torx screws from to loosen everything up.

Watch out for antifreeze to come out when you remove the cover and core.
Slide the heater core towards you (from the passenger seat point of view) and down at the same time to remove. That's it.

Reverse the procedure, refill with antifreeze, drive, and top off after it cools down.

Enjoy the heat.

#5 ·
Might be a good time to have your husband give the radiator a flush while he is changing out the heater core. If the coolant was old it might have caused the heater core to go out. :think:

#6 ·
Hello I have a 2000 astro and just replaced the vacuum hoses last week. This morning I was heading out and noticed antifreeze pouring out of dash where the heater core is. I followed the instructions on this post but I cannot get the plastic cover to budge and i'm afraid I might break it trying to pry it off. I removed 6 screws that I can see. Is there something that I'm missing here or is there a secret to getting this cover off?
thx dave

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.