Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

Front AC warm and Rear AC Cold on 99 Astro

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  'cudapaul 
#1 ·
Front vents blow warm air and the rear vents blow cold on Max AC and HI rear settings. (99 Astro with 61000 miles)

I've added 1 can of R134 since it was low. My question is can the problem be the orifice tube being clogged or the front evaporator core be bad?

And if so, can I just replaced them along with the drier without missing up the rear AC (since it is working) - with the rear set to high and the front set to Max AC with low fan I do get enough cold air up front to keep me cool (it was 91 here yesterday) - it's the wife that likes it ice cold. She didn't like my idea of her riding in the back!!

#2 ·
There is an electrically operated motor that moves a door that controls the air temp. It is controlled by the middle temperature knob on the HVAC control panel. When you turn the knob to heat or cold, it moves the door by the amount you move the knob (servo controlled). The motor is located on the passenger side of the plastic duct work just above the dog house.

When you turn the knob you should hear the motor move. It is pretty quiet, so you may want to close the van doors and turn the ignition on to operate it. If you can hear it move then it probably is working OK. If it is not then that may be the reason for the warm air in the front.

In regards to the orifice tube, you can check the temperature of the aluminum tube that the orifice is in. Obviously, it should get pretty cold.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.