1999 Astro, Blower how to replace

1999 Astro, Blower how to replace

Postby turnipfish [OP] » August 3rd 2009, 2:49am

My blower on my 99 goes out completely. When I tap on the plastic cover with a hard object it blows again. I am thinking I have a weak blower motor that is going out. After reading my Haynes repair manual it appears that the removal of this motor should be a "piece of cake", well my findings are a bit different. The cover seems to be one piece that covers the fan as well as part of the air conditioner condensor. If anyone knows how I should remove this cover please post instructions, lead me to a source of information, or show me some pictures.
On the other hand, if I am missing something that I should be looking at please let me know. I'd like to end this by saying thanks to all that contribute to these forums. In some cases I have helped my mechanic to diagnose problems in other vehicles, or become to feel confident with my mechanic's opinion because of other's experiences.
Original Poster [OP]
turnipfish
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Years of Membership: turnipfish has been a member for 5 full yearsturnipfish has been a member for 5 full yearsturnipfish has been a member for 5 full yearsturnipfish has been a member for 5 full yearsturnipfish has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 1
Alias (AKA): JTD
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author

Re: 1999 Astro, Blower how to replace

Postby 'cudapaul » August 3rd 2009, 3:16am

You can cut the plastic cover that surrounds the fan. If you look at it carefully, I believe that it is marked on the cover.
Overall, it is pretty easy. Obviously, the coolant and windshield tank needs to come out and then cut the cover, disconnect the wire, unbolt the fan and lift it out. You will probably have to swap the squirrel cage over to the new motor, and then reverse the steps.

If you prefer to work on your van, I would recommend that you purchase a factory service manual, typically on ebay or other websites. For example, the plastic cutout shape and method is clearly shown in the service manual.
'cudapaul
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: 'cudapaul has been a member for 6 full years'cudapaul has been a member for 6 full years'cudapaul has been a member for 6 full years'cudapaul has been a member for 6 full years'cudapaul has been a member for 6 full years'cudapaul has been a member for 6 full years
Alias (AKA): 'cudapaul
Extra Info: LT AWD

Postby turnipfish [OP] » August 3rd 2009, 4:32am

Ok, Now that I look at it again I do see the outline to follow for cutting. I was looking for a remove and replace option. I will get the motor first then I will cut it as instructed. Thanks for your help.
Original Poster [OP]
turnipfish
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Years of Membership: turnipfish has been a member for 5 full yearsturnipfish has been a member for 5 full yearsturnipfish has been a member for 5 full yearsturnipfish has been a member for 5 full yearsturnipfish has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 1
Alias (AKA): JTD

Postby fungus2k » August 3rd 2009, 12:25pm

before you change all that i'd suggest checking the blower motor resistor, it is installed in the air box, turn on the fan and put a meter between the pin in the connector and the negative battery terminal, i thought my blower motor was going so i replaced it, as well as my control module in the van, when it turns out it was just this dang resistor
fungus2k
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L1)
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L1)
Years of Membership: fungus2k has been a member for 6 full yearsfungus2k has been a member for 6 full yearsfungus2k has been a member for 6 full yearsfungus2k has been a member for 6 full yearsfungus2k has been a member for 6 full yearsfungus2k has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 14
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: 4.3L V6 RWD