Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

No Rear Heat

15K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  speedy266 
#1 ·
Hi All,

The rear heat in my 98 Extended is down. The fan blows nice & hard, but there's no heat. There is heat in the front (although the fan is weak, likely a resistor issue) so no worries there!

Any advice?

Thanks,
Matt

#6 ·
you have 2 heater cores the second behind driver seat on wall behind plastic panels my friends just went bad. he had no heat wet carpet he said under 1 hour to have it fixed.
Danny

#8 ·
Hi Folks,

Thanks for the suggestions so far. I would like to check the vac lines first. Trouble is I don't know what to look for... Any pointers? Do I need to remove the doghouse or any covers? Once I'm in there, what am I looking for? Are they rubber? Anyone have any pics?

Thanks!

#9 ·
99 AWD. 175 kms.

Camping in the winter. Van at idle for 1 hour+. Made a popping noise. Van filled with smoke/electrical fire smell. Turned off. Looked for fire. No fire. Turned on and looked for abnormalities. No hot air coming out the rear heater!!! We need this back asap or we'll be a soggy mess.

Any ideas?

I'll check the switch and vacuum lines once the pics are posted. My confusion is why the burning smell?

I have access to a warm garage Tuesday night. Any parts I should be buying in the meantime? I can't really get under to take a look until after I visit a car wash. My van is covered with snow and mud everywhere!!!

#10 ·
*FIXED* sorta

On my 99 awd there is a vacum controlled water valve under the hood. It's just to the left of the alternator pulley.

The water valve also has a small vacum solenoid attached to it. My solenoid burnt up. THe solenoid switches vacuum to the water valve. I removed the solenoid and connected its two small vacuum lines togehter making a full-time vacuum to the valve.

Heat is back!

#14 ·
Hey I also have this prob. but i have additions to this prob. wen i turn on my rear AC only the top vents in the bak go on nice and cold, and wen i turn on my rear heat, only my bottom vent behind the drivers seat starts to blow COLD also, its sounds lik a really confusing prob.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.