Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

Coolant Temp Gauge

2K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  Mr_Bowtie 
#1 ·
Hi Guys,

I was wondering where your coolant temp gauge normally stays once the engine is warmed up.

Mine stays around 70C (1/4 of the gauge) This seems too cool for me. The thermostat is rated at 195F or 91C. I was thinking the needled would stay close to 100C or (1/2 of the guage)

I have a 98 Astro.

Let me know what you guys make of this.

#6 ·
My Astro stays right on the 1/4 mark for the coolant temp and the heat in that Van is awesome! The temp gauge in my Safari though is closer to the half mark and about the same heat temp as my Astro. They both have a 195* thermo in them. The stock gauges can't be all that acccurate.

#8 ·
I have a second autometer temp gauge in my van so I can compare between the two. On the first mark on the stock gauge, the autometer hits 160*. I get luke warm heat. I don't get good heat in the cab until 180*. I do use the 180* thermostat also.

#10 ·
My Van was below the quarter mark today while doing 75mph on the highway & I was still getting really good heat. Actually had the heat off most the ride cause it blows so hot. :cool:

#11 ·
Hm I guess its not so unnormal to be around 1/4 then.

I just put a new thermostat in and the needle is sitting lower than it use too. I have ANOTHER thermostat im going to install, see how it goes.

The van runs fine, but ever since it got cooler, the gas mileage has gone to complete crap. Not happy about that. I took off the scoop at the end of the air filter so it draws less cool air into the engine. Hoping to help fuel mileage.

#12 ·
I would think if you got good heat then your thermostat is not affecting your gas mileage as the motor is getting warm enough....... :shrug:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.