Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

94 blower motor

3K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  Astroplane 
#1 ·
Hi all,
Wandering why the blower motor isn't working on the LOWER speed settings on my new 94 astro.......Exact oppisite problem that my 97 has...(97 only lower speeds work) Only the top two work on the 94......Is there a coralation in this problem or completely different issues?
Any help would be great,Thanks for looking at my post.
Carl

#4 ·
On the '97, open the hood and locate the blower motor on the passenger side. With the key ON, engine OFF, turn the switch to high speed and jiggle the 2 wire connector to the blower motor. If it turns on, check the connector for a burned/melted connector. If it still won't run, remove the coolant overflow/washer fluid reservoir and tap on the resistor pack which is located about halfway down under a ledge on the evaporator housing. The resistor pack contains the high speed relay and the lower speed resistor circuit board. Common failure. If none of this works, let us know. You'll need a test light or meter for further testing and we'll be happy to help.
On the '94, it sounds like the blower motor resistor has lost two speeds. Locate the resistor on top of the evaporator housing under the hood. Remove connector and two screws and carefully remove resistor from the case. Inspect resistor coils for breaks. Look down into the resistor hole in the case and inspect for leaves, hair, and lint.

#5 ·
Woodweasel said:
There is some dang resistor for the fan speed up under the dash on the passenger side I was told. I only have high, havent been frisky enough to dig into it. This will get you back up on top, someone out there knows what Im talkin about. :confused:
This is for you Wood... Jim

#7 ·
astroturf said:
Woodweasel said:
There is some dang resistor for the fan speed up under the dash on the passenger side I was told. I only have high, havent been frisky enough to dig into it. This will get you back up on top, someone out there knows what Im talkin about. :confused:
This is for you Wood... Jim

THANKS Jim! I have been looking for something like that! Heck, I might even replace it this weekend! :banana: Since its been a year!
:ty: You da Purple Powwa Man!

#10 ·
Astroplane said:
Mr_Bowtie said:
Check that resister and wiring.
What year van is shown? Am I looking at it upside down?
Your looking down on it from over the passenger side fender....... :D

I never wrote down which years that was I just figured it was a close enough pic to give the general idea. I found the pic on here though in one of the post along the way. :chevy:

#11 ·
I have a 94 & I CAN'T FIND THAT RESISTOR HARNESS ANYWHERE!!! TRied taking out the washer/overflow tanks even, but still don't see it/them!!! I've seen the 'pics' and 'sketches' in the posts, but guess my eyes aren't connected to my mind anymore???

My 94 has no HI speed on fan setting- just replaced entire panel from one from junkyard & still same problem. Would LOVE to try this resistor thing, but need help... HELP!!! PICS PLEASE!!!

#13 ·
RorryRastro said:
My 94 has no HI speed on fan setting
Check the high blower relay and relay connector which is located under the hood on the firewall above the blower motor. There should be 2 or 3 relays next to each other.

RorryRastro said:
I have a 94 & I CAN'T FIND THAT RESISTOR HARNESS ANYWHERE!
Disregard the pics and diagrams on this thread. Look on top of the evaporator case. If you are standing in front of the van, a little left and behind the aluminum canister (accumulator).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.