Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

Blower Resister

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  rev_les 
#1 ·
One day out of nowhere my fan blower quit working on all settings. I read where it is fairly common for resistors to go out and seeing it only costs $10 at AutoZone, I figure it would be worth trying. I looked in my Haynes book and it only discusses the fan blower. I assume the resistor is a part of that whole assembly. Its on a 1990, so its the old "primitive" style. Does anyone know where it is or how to get to it?

#3 ·
I'm kind of thinking that you have a bad blower motor. The high setting for the fan does not going thru the resistor relay. If you had said that the only speed you have is high, then it would be the resistor.

But I would also say that before you change that motor, check the ground connection and also the hot wire. Sometimes you can get corrosion in those connectors and they will stop the motor from working.

#4 ·
Ok, tell me if this makes sense...when I pulled my fuse to check and see if it popped, I found a 20amp fuse (this spot calls for a 15 amp). The prong wasnt popped, but the plastic casing on the fuse was melted and deformed. Think the motor got fried?

#5 ·
Electric motors will draw higher amperage with use and age. The fan switch on the dash and connector should be checked for deformed/melted cavities and contacts. Check the high blower relay connector as well. The resistor is located under the hood on top of the evaporator case. Check that plug also. The cause is probably the motor itself, but you'll want to inspect the entire circuit.

#7 ·
X2 on BOTH previous posts...Check out the wiring and the motor....if the motor goes bad, it'll cause the connectors to fry, if the connectors get bad, the low voltage causes yet higher current pull and fries the motor.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.