DIY Help w Recharge purged a/c system

DIY Help w Recharge purged a/c system

Postby jomarche [OP] » June 11th 2010, 2:20pm

98 2wd LS front n rear a/c

Need some confirmation help if possible. I have looked all over here to no avail. I replaced the a/c compressor (new) & evapertaor (new). 3 rd time in this van for the compressor. System is purged and evacuated with vacum.

1. Anyway specs say 11 oz of PAG 150 ? How do I introduce the PAG 150 via pressurized freon cans, or pour it into something, how? compressor has 1.5 oz of PAG from factory.

2. AND 3lbs of freon, ? Do I count the weight of the PAG freon if I use PAG freon?

3. ? In using the 12oz freon cans is that 12oz liquid or weight?

4. ?How many 12oz cans equals 3lbs?

Usually I just put 4 cans and am good to go...but 3 compressor in 4 years i want to be a bit more precise.

Thanks appreciate it.
'98 Astro
Original Poster [OP]
jomarche
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Years of Membership: jomarche has been a member for 5 full yearsjomarche has been a member for 5 full yearsjomarche has been a member for 5 full yearsjomarche has been a member for 5 full yearsjomarche has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 3
Alias (AKA): Joe Marche
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: LS

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author

Re: DIY Help w Recharge purged a/c system

Postby remark123 » June 11th 2010, 3:47pm

16oz in a pound...
Mark, Simpsonville, KY
remark123
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer
Fueling (3/4 tank)
Fueling (3/4 tank)
Years of Membership: remark123 has been a member for 6 full yearsremark123 has been a member for 6 full yearsremark123 has been a member for 6 full yearsremark123 has been a member for 6 full yearsremark123 has been a member for 6 full yearsremark123 has been a member for 6 full years
Extra Info: Conversion Van

Postby jomarche [OP] » June 11th 2010, 3:55pm

liquid or dry????
'98 Astro
Original Poster [OP]
jomarche
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Years of Membership: jomarche has been a member for 5 full yearsjomarche has been a member for 5 full yearsjomarche has been a member for 5 full yearsjomarche has been a member for 5 full yearsjomarche has been a member for 5 full years

Postby GaryZ » June 11th 2010, 5:00pm

I have been DIY auto air conditioning for a number of years now. I have replaced the compressor/condenser/in-line filter a few times. The first time I had the parts dealer load the oil in the new compressor (for a fee). The last time I simply poured the oil into the compressor myself. And I mean pour it in the compressor before sealing the system and evacuating. I usually put enough freon in to get cold air. This is normally three cans on the Astro. Recently I bought a cute low-side adapter with a pressure gauge and now I put enough freon in to get cold air and hit within the pressure range. I hope this helps . . .
'98 Astro AWD, white with gray interior,
3.42:1 diffs, 235/70 x 15 tires,
195,000 miles on original engine and trans
'99 Kawasaki ZX11D
'85 Yamaha Venture Royale with 1300 engine & Vmax cams
GaryZ
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: GaryZ has been a member for 5 full yearsGaryZ has been a member for 5 full yearsGaryZ has been a member for 5 full yearsGaryZ has been a member for 5 full yearsGaryZ has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 6
Extra Info: AWD

Postby LEVE » June 11th 2010, 5:15pm

Harbor Freight has the gauges and a pump that can let you DIY.

Using the Manifold Set
LEVE
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L2)
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L2)
Years of Membership: LEVE has been a member for 4 full yearsLEVE has been a member for 4 full yearsLEVE has been a member for 4 full yearsLEVE has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 18
Extra Info: AWD 4.3L-W

Postby jomarche [OP] » June 11th 2010, 8:10pm

I have everything. I want info.....in 2 hours I will be done whether I have info or not.....Thanks anyway....
'98 Astro
Original Poster [OP]
jomarche
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Fueling (1/8 tank)

Postby remark123 » June 11th 2010, 8:50pm

36 ounces is 3 lbs. that means that 3 cans of 12 ounces equals =36 ounces! The liquid is the weight in ounces of the can's content.
Mark, Simpsonville, KY
remark123
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer
Fueling (3/4 tank)
Fueling (3/4 tank)
Years of Membership: remark123 has been a member for 6 full yearsremark123 has been a member for 6 full yearsremark123 has been a member for 6 full yearsremark123 has been a member for 6 full yearsremark123 has been a member for 6 full yearsremark123 has been a member for 6 full years
Extra Info: Conversion Van

Postby rev_les » June 12th 2010, 12:13am

3 12oz cans is36 oz,or 2.25 Lbs. 3 Lbs would be 48oz......... 4 cans. The refrigerant is measured in weight, not fluid ounces.
Figure out the problem before buying parts
NRA Lifetime Member
2'nd amendment supporter
'13 Jeep Patriot
'01 Safari 150K 4.3 "W" 3.42's
'87 Monte Carlo SS
'79 Avco 32' RV
rev_les
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L3)
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L3)
Years of Membership: rev_les has been a member for 5 full yearsrev_les has been a member for 5 full yearsrev_les has been a member for 5 full yearsrev_les has been a member for 5 full yearsrev_les has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 38
Alias (AKA): Les
Extra Info: LS 4.3 RWD

Postby jomarche [OP] » June 12th 2010, 1:35am

Ok cool, thanks guys....

Any ideas on the PAG 150 which it calls for 11oz.......is that added into the 3lbs weight.....when the PAG is ia freon can?????
'98 Astro
Original Poster [OP]
jomarche
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Fueling (1/8 tank)

Postby Astroplane » June 12th 2010, 9:04am

jomarche wrote:3 rd time in this van for the compressor.

What is the history of your van/ A/C system? Have you replaced 2 compressors after the factory compressor failed? Have the failures been catastrophic (plugging the orifice tube), clutch failure, or just leaks from the compressor?
jomarche wrote:1. Anyway specs say 11 oz of PAG 150 ? How do I introduce the PAG 150 via pressurized freon cans, or pour it into something, how? compressor has 1.5 oz of PAG from factory.

Did you replace the accumulator? Did you drain the old accumulator and measure the oil amount? We need a starting point to determine the oil charge. There is oil throughout the system that needs to be accounted for.
jomarche wrote:2. AND 3lbs of freon, ? Do I count the weight of the PAG freon if I use PAG freon?

If the system spec is 11 ounces of PAG oil and 48 ounces of R134a, that is what the system requires. It is recommended to measure drained oil amounts from removed components and adjust the replacement oil charge accordingly.
jomarche wrote:3. ? In using the 12oz freon cans is that 12oz liquid or weight?

Weight.
jomarche wrote:but 3 compressor in 4 years i want to be a bit more precise.

Over the years, cans have received a bad name. According to the gurus, it is impossible to charge a system spec of 48 ounces with 4 12 ounce cans. I agree with their assessment, but in my experience, the final result is close enough. More important, have you installed a screen in the suction port of the manifold hose set? The manifold hose set has 'mufflers' on both hoses that will trap debris from a failed compressor. Have you ever replaced the condenser?
jomarche wrote:Any ideas on the PAG 150 which it calls for 11oz.......is that added into the 3lbs weight.....when the PAG is ia freon can?????

No. What is the net weight according to the labeling? 12 ounces refrigerant with 3 ounces of oil?
The price of paying attention is cheap considering the alternative.
Astroplane
Blue Status (L2)
Blue Status (L2)
Years of Membership: Astroplane has been a member for 4 full yearsAstroplane has been a member for 4 full yearsAstroplane has been a member for 4 full yearsAstroplane has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 4
Extra Info: LT RWD

Postby jomarche [OP] » June 12th 2010, 2:43pm

Astroplane wrote:
jomarche wrote:3 rd time in this van for the compressor.

What is the history of your van/ A/C system? Have you replaced 2 compressors after the factory compressor failed? Have the failures been catastrophic (plugging the orifice tube), clutch failure, or just leaks from the compressor?

A.... 2 after the factory , thought they were clutch (smoke an all),BUT this time found so much metal frag in orifice screen that i could not get it out.

jomarche wrote:1. Anyway specs say 11 oz of PAG 150 ? How do I introduce the PAG 150 via pressurized freon cans, or pour it into something, how? compressor has 1.5 oz of PAG from factory.

Did you replace the accumulator? Did you drain the old accumulator and measure the oil amount? We need a starting point to determine the oil charge. There is oil throughout the system that needs to be accounted for.

A.......replace accumulator, NO oil in it.

jomarche wrote:2. AND 3lbs of freon, ? Do I count the weight of the PAG freon if I use PAG freon?

If the system spec is 11 ounces of PAG oil and 48 ounces of R134a, that is what the system requires. It is recommended to measure drained oil amounts from removed components and adjust the replacement oil charge accordingly.

a......NO measurement and blow 5-6 oz out i would guess.....

jomarche wrote:3. ? In using the 12oz freon cans is that 12oz liquid or weight?

Weight.
jomarche wrote:but 3 compressor in 4 years i want to be a bit more precise.

Over the years, cans have received a bad name. According to the gurus, it is impossible to charge a system spec of 48 ounces with 4 12 ounce cans. I agree with their assessment, but in my experience, the final result is close enough. More important, have you installed a screen in the suction port of the manifold hose set? The manifold hose set has 'mufflers' on both hoses that will trap debris from a failed compressor. Have you ever replaced the condenser?
jomarche wrote:Any ideas on the PAG 150 which it calls for 11oz.......is that added into the 3lbs weight.....when the PAG is ia freon can?????

No. What is the net weight according to the labeling? 12 ounces refrigerant with 3 ounces of oil?

A....there is 1oz oil in a 3 oz can...

As close to ball park figures as possible is all I can ask.......Thanksss
'98 Astro
Original Poster [OP]
jomarche
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Fueling (1/8 tank)

Postby Astroplane » June 13th 2010, 8:10am

First and most critical, are you sure the compressor tag said 1.5 ounces? Could it be 7.5 ounces? I have a made in china compressor that was just dropped off for tomorrows' repair on a Buick. The tag says 7.5 ounces of oil. It also states to add more oil if the vehicle has rear A/C.
If it is 1.5 ounces, assuming the rest of the system is dry due to an ongoing leak or after a complete flush, we would need to add 9.5 ounces of oil to achieve your spec of 11 ounces. Hopefully, this will not sound like a Total cereal commercial. You would need 9 cans of oil charge to equal the oil charge and that would introduce 18 ounces of refrigerant into the system. 48 minus 18 equals 30 ounces of refrigerant needed to reach spec. 2 and 1/2 12 ounce 'refrigerant only' cans would satisfy this.
Astroplane
Blue Status (L2)
Blue Status (L2)
Years of Membership: Astroplane has been a member for 4 full yearsAstroplane has been a member for 4 full yearsAstroplane has been a member for 4 full yearsAstroplane has been a member for 4 full years

Postby Matrixx » June 13th 2010, 11:51am

Hi jomarche

1998 Astro/Safari Refrigerant Specifications:

-2lbs. (us) R-134a refrigerant front A/C only.
-3lbs. (us) R-134a refrigerant front and rear A/C.

Refrigerant Oil Type Required:
-Polyalkylene Glycol (PAG) Synthetic Refrigerant Lubricant

Refrigerant Oil Capacity:
-8oz (us) Front A/C only.
-11oz (us) Front and Rear A/C.

Hope this helps.:)
96-GMC Safari - Rwd - Original Transmission - Exhaust - Air Cared - 3.73 Limited Slip Rear End - Motor Replaced - 91 octane (Chevron) for the last 14 years - MFI Upgrade - 640,000 Kilometers.
Matrixx
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L3)
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L3)
Years of Membership: Matrixx has been a member for 6 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 6 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 6 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 6 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 6 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 14

Postby jomarche [OP] » June 13th 2010, 5:50pm

Held vacum all night, charging it now.....Thanks
'98 Astro
Original Poster [OP]
jomarche
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Fueling (1/8 tank)

Postby jomarche [OP] » June 13th 2010, 7:48pm

DONE
'98 Astro
Original Poster [OP]
jomarche
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Fueling (1/8 tank)

Postby 94 Van Guy » June 13th 2010, 8:33pm

Well done Joe, this time of the year you need air.

Keith
'91 Chevy G30 Bus 39.3K Miles

Retired
Safari
87 Safari, 91 Astro
86 Astro, 85 Astro
88 Astro, 92 Astro
89 Astro, 88 Astro

94 Van Guy
250k+ Miles
250k+ Miles
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L3)
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L3)
Years of Membership: 94 Van Guy has been a member for 4 full years94 Van Guy has been a member for 4 full years94 Van Guy has been a member for 4 full years94 Van Guy has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 71
Alias (AKA): Keith
Year: 1991
Extra Info: G30 Bus

Postby Astroplane » June 14th 2010, 9:30am

jomarche wrote:DONE

Not much of a follow-up. Can you tell us what you did? The results of your experience can help others.
Astroplane
Blue Status (L2)
Blue Status (L2)