Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

removal of whole ac system

3K views 23 replies 7 participants last post by  coppermtn 
#1 ·
has any one done this!
i have removed the compressor and added the delete pully.
i am just wondering if i need to remove the bit on the heater blower box!
any help would be appreciated.

#4 ·
Phantom said:
Not sure why you want to go that far , yea the compressor gone is a weight savings but that is as far as you would need to go , maybe you could take a trip to the salvage yard and take a closer look a van that has been stripped down to see how it is all built.
:goodpost: when you buy a car new and you select air it's a package deal. it's incorperated with the heating system. adding a/c would be easier than totally removing i'm sure, i have yet to even try. where i live a/c isn't really needed.

#5 ·
cowboydan: Whatcha mean A/C isn't really needed in Calgary? I sure used my A/C this summer! Of course I'm not in Calgary, but I'm pretty much on the same level.

evo man: I agree with the other guys...I wouldn't bother removing the whole A/C system. Honestly the only reason I'd even remove the compressor would be if the bearing started to go for some reason, or the clutch was locked engaged.

#6 ·
thehermit said:
cowboydan: Whatcha mean A/C isn't really needed in Calgary? I sure used my A/C this summer! Of course I'm not in Calgary, but I'm pretty much on the same level.
you gotta live here to see what i mean. elevation and parallel mean nothing geography wise. think of calgary as the mountains left over garbage (weather). i might agree that it gets hot some days but most years we cry when it hits 28c. we don't even get heat waves over more than 2 days in a row. i dare anyone to try and predict what kind of weather calgary will get. you want the weather report?.... wait 5 minutes! calgarys' version of a drout is when we can see clouds and storms brewing over our heads all day most every day but it won't rain for a month... but it always has potential. winters here have been known to last 7-8 months out of the year. try living in a climate that when you wake up, it could be 15c, by breakfast, 21c and at lunch a large downpour, by 3:00pm it will be -30c with a -50c windchill and you get left with 240mm of ice everywhere you go! that's when you know you live in calgary! we could live in that deepfreeze for weeks.... or we might get lucky with a chinook within a few days, you just never know. that's why a/c isn't really needed.

#7 ·
well after much deliberation i left the heater box alone.
but i did remove the grill and removed the bit in front of the rad.
wow ! what a mess between them.
clutch on ac must have been bad because van is much more pepy now
and running much cooler as air now gets to more than half the rad.
thanks

oh yeah i dont need the ac as i have windows that open !!!
lol

#8 ·
evo man said:
thanks

lol
w00t w00t w00t...

Good News indeed.

Glad it worked out for you evo man.

Jim

#9 ·
evo man said:
thanks

lol
the pep is in not driving a pully, you just found 5 extra hp. but i'm curious, what did you do about the a/c charge?

#15 ·
evo man said:
we them put it on the fire pit
KABOOM !!!!
you must be part of the less than 25mpg club. now that's funny!

#17 ·
astroturf said:
cowboydan said:
you must be part of the less than 25mpg club. now that's funny!
:blah: :blah: :blah: :blah: :blah:
what, did i forget to sugar coat it????

#19 ·
evo man said:
lets just say !
no high tech here !
just ********
oh yeah and Rico ( KABOOM !!)
whatcha got. 454? 350? you a farmer? got a no2 can, can't be too ******* if ur usin a recovery can??

#20 ·
a real ******* would use bolt cutters! cause what's the point of collecting it if you just want BOOM. i'd light er up in a field and have some narly fireworks added..... if i were just a *******!

#21 ·
fireworks really !
if you were ******* you'd make an acetylene bomb

but sorry guy's
no recovery kit used ( truth ).
i dont give a poop about the environment .
i drive a safari !!!

There said ..
environment be damned i love fossil fuels
death to all prius's

#23 ·
helloall I twice in motor changes on astros removed the entire ac no discharge best way i could see to bring the motor out the front condencer ?in the way lines in both sides . two people picked it out and set it aside out of the way . worked great .ok heater wont work without the exchanger to fill the hole up.

#24 ·
i did the same thing..

my question is what year/model do i need to look for at the junkyard that has a heater only setup so i can replace the heat/ac box with a heat only box?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.