blower motor, switch or resistor?

blower motor, switch or resistor?

Postby maximus7001 [OP] » October 8th 2010, 12:57pm

Greetings. Had this van since new. I have been through 4 new replacement blower motors so far over 13 years and have a new spare still in the box. For the past two years there has only been high speed. When low and medium stopped working I would hit the dash above the heater switch and the blower would come back on. This got worse and the dash would have to be hit so hard that I stopped doing it fearing I would break something else. Ever since then there has only been high speed but worked fine otherwise.

Today while on max ac the blower just stopped. There was a faint electrical smell right after that. Somehow I don't think that it is the blower motor this time. All the other ones made noise before they died and could be restarted with a whack on the motor with a bar. One of them died a noisey death when it was 3 months old.
97 Safari SLT AWD
68 AMC Javelin SST
85 AMC Eagle wagon 4x4
97 Ford Contour
Original Poster [OP]
maximus7001
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L1)
Years of Membership: maximus7001 has been a member for 5 full yearsmaximus7001 has been a member for 5 full yearsmaximus7001 has been a member for 5 full yearsmaximus7001 has been a member for 5 full yearsmaximus7001 has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 7
Year: 1997
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: AWD 380000km

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author

Re: blower motor, switch or resistor?

Postby mkj54 » October 8th 2010, 1:21pm

What you descibed is almost always the resistor.
mkj54
Fueling (7/8 tank)
Fueling (7/8 tank)
Years of Membership: mkj54 has been a member for 3 full yearsmkj54 has been a member for 3 full yearsmkj54 has been a member for 3 full years

Postby Phantom » October 8th 2010, 4:01pm

Fan speed switch has likely worn out and running fan on High all the time can shorten the life of the motor , the resistor may be a contributing factor as well you should have all these tested
Phantom
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L4)
Years of Membership: Phantom has been a member for 3 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 3 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 3 full years
Topics: 15
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro

Postby GaryZ » October 8th 2010, 5:13pm

A classic failure mode of the old style blower resistor is high speed only. Your van likely has a blower circuit card;

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detai ... &ppt=C0039

You can test the blower motor at this circuit card (behind the coolant overflow tank). The red and black connector coming off this card goes directly to the blower motor. Use test leads and connect 12v straight to the blower motor to see if it runs. If it does, replace the circuit card.
'98 Astro AWD, white with gray interior,
3.42:1 diffs, 235/70 x 15 tires,
195,000 miles on original engine and trans
'99 Kawasaki ZX11D
'85 Yamaha Venture Royale with 1300 engine & Vmax cams
GaryZ
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: GaryZ has been a member for 5 full yearsGaryZ has been a member for 5 full yearsGaryZ has been a member for 5 full yearsGaryZ has been a member for 5 full yearsGaryZ has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 6
Extra Info: AWD

Postby fast68 » October 8th 2010, 5:55pm

electrical plug at the blower i have seen melted alot of times, also connector at the fan switch in the control panel on dash

they loose good connection and have reisstance and that means melting

seen it alot and had to repair for ppl

its pretty common issue especially in the full size trucks and s-10 trucks and also some cars like the grand prix and bonneville and such ive seen totally burnt smoking fire hazard at the blower motor connector
a buddy of mine has a 97 GP and his was burning i dont knwo how the car didnt burn down

so lucky and he had no clue and i happened to find it by accident and was able to repair it

the resistors and blower are fine im sure
1992 Astro EXT parting out! many new parts! new regulators, heater core, ECM, etc. text me 217 671 7792 parting: '91 S-10 2wd pickup , '70's chevy trucks, '54 ford truck dually, '69 fairlane, '80s toyota trucks,
fast68
Years of Membership: fast68 has been a member for 5 full yearsfast68 has been a member for 5 full yearsfast68 has been a member for 5 full yearsfast68 has been a member for 5 full yearsfast68 has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 12
Alias (AKA): fast
Extra Info: 4.3L Z EXT RWD

Postby RECox286 » October 8th 2010, 10:25pm

My first thought is that the resistor pack or its' connector is toast. However I have also had to replace the cockpit switch when it burnt up. I think a little looksee is in order on this one.

Bob
Start a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm the rest of his life.

Sent using two Progresso soup cans and a string
RECox286
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L4)
Years of Membership: RECox286 has been a member for 3 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 3 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 3 full years
Topics: 31
Alias (AKA): Uncle Bob
Year: 1993
Extra Info: RWD V6 [325K mi]

Postby maximus7001 [OP] » October 13th 2010, 1:42am

Been so busy with the with work mostly and the rest of my time has been taken up with my amc eagle project, finally got around to looking at this issue. Took the voltmeter and tested the plug going to the blower and it reads .02v with the switch on high speed. Thats as far as I got. Tomorrow I will check out the switch and it's wires.
97 Safari SLT AWD
68 AMC Javelin SST
85 AMC Eagle wagon 4x4
97 Ford Contour
Original Poster [OP]
maximus7001
Years of Membership: maximus7001 has been a member for 5 full yearsmaximus7001 has been a member for 5 full yearsmaximus7001 has been a member for 5 full yearsmaximus7001 has been a member for 5 full yearsmaximus7001 has been a member for 5 full years

Postby rusty 1 » October 15th 2010, 2:52pm

hello; i removed the speed rist. cleaned the conector make sure all the windings are in tact .works great now ,Iput another ground on the motor helped also.
rusty 1
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Years of Membership: rusty 1 has been a member for 3 full yearsrusty 1 has been a member for 3 full yearsrusty 1 has been a member for 3 full years
Topics: 9
Extra Info: 4.3l

Postby RECox286 » October 15th 2010, 10:46pm

Nice to hear you got 'er working. Good deal. Hope the hints helped.

Bob
Start a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm the rest of his life.

Sent using two Progresso soup cans and a string
RECox286
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Years of Membership: RECox286 has been a member for 3 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 3 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 3 full years
Topics: 31
Alias (AKA): Uncle Bob
Year: 1993
Extra Info: RWD V6 [325K mi]

Postby maximus7001 [OP] » October 29th 2010, 3:51am

Finally got some time today to take it apart. The resistor pack was nasty and missing one horse shoe resistor and another one fell off when I touched it. Got on the phone with a few parts places as well as the stealer and the prices were about the same. The closest place was the stealership so I went there and got the crossover part #89018436 that replaces the original. It came with instructions and a template to modify the heater box for the newer design part. The wires and harness to the resistor all look good so I plugged it in and still nothing.

Plan B: Took the dash apart enough to get to the switch. And the first pin closest to the steering column in the row of three pins has evidence of burning but the pigtail that goes to it seems ok. I am going outside now to take it apart again and try jumping the pigtail connections to see if I can get the motor to spin.
97 Safari SLT AWD
68 AMC Javelin SST
85 AMC Eagle wagon 4x4
97 Ford Contour
Original Poster [OP]
maximus7001

Postby maximus7001 [OP] » October 29th 2010, 10:13pm

After a bit of digging around with better light here is what I found:

This fell out (piece of metal from the above pigtail):

A little burnt:

Most disturbing of all is that there are no pins here anymore:

Which is where this other pigtail is suposed to plug in, sure it plugs in but where did the pins go?:

Made a few calls about getting a new switch assembley and a 3 pin pigtail. The stealer wants $47.96 for the pigtail harness and $221.93 for the switch assembley. Time to hit the boneyard I guess. At least there is still vacuum function and rear heat since the temp is 2c right now.
97 Safari SLT AWD
68 AMC Javelin SST
85 AMC Eagle wagon 4x4
97 Ford Contour
Original Poster [OP]
maximus7001

Postby Lumpy » November 3rd 2010, 3:09am

Autozone has several huge, paper catalogs of replacement electrical connectors and pigtails.
I've gotten oddball stuff from them for my 89. Take the old one in and they will try and
match it with the pics/drawings in the catalog and even phone the vendors to see
if there's some kind of update.

Lump
Lumpy
250k+ Miles
250k+ Miles
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L4)
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L4)
Years of Membership: Lumpy has been a member for 3 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 3 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 3 full years
Topics: 125
Year: 1989
Extra Info: 9 in. lift Camo

Postby GaryZ » November 3rd 2010, 2:26pm

The switch panel of my Astro has a button for the rear window defroster (dutch-doors).
I have not found any in the salvage yards!
'98 Astro AWD, white with gray interior,
3.42:1 diffs, 235/70 x 15 tires,
195,000 miles on original engine and trans
'99 Kawasaki ZX11D
'85 Yamaha Venture Royale with 1300 engine & Vmax cams
GaryZ
Years of Membership: GaryZ has been a member for 5 full yearsGaryZ has been a member for 5 full yearsGaryZ has been a member for 5 full yearsGaryZ has been a member for 5 full yearsGaryZ has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 6
Extra Info: AWD

Postby Phantom » November 3rd 2010, 5:15pm

When I needed to replace the blower switch in my Lesabre I found the best one I could find at NAPA , the switches at other parts store did not look new or were used returns or came in beat up boxes , the NAPA switch was like $38 , Here is the switch for the astro:

http://www.napaonline.com/Search/Detail ... 4+2014004#

GaryZ wrote:The switch panel of my Astro has a button for the rear window defroster (dutch-doors).
I have not found any in the salvage yards!

If the yards are close enough to you try to keep looking , I see them often but have no use for them as i do not have rear defroster on my cargo doors, but i did find a nice switch panel that fits great from a conversion van , it has like 5 LED rocker switches with a relay all wired with spade plugs that I plan to install , but at the moment all I have to hook to it is aux driving lights . I'm sure I'll think of something else I need to hook up to that switch panel :D
Phantom
Years of Membership: Phantom has been a member for 3 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 3 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 3 full years

Postby maximus7001 [OP] » November 5th 2010, 4:33am

Everything is working now. Went to the wrecker in St Francis a few miles out of Winnipeg to pick up a switch, already pulled with a 90 day warranty $40. They don't usually let anyone in the yard but they sent me back there to get a 3 wire pigtail for the switch. Got two pigtails, resistor pack, two cup holder inserts, rear heater vent, and both metal panels that go below the headlights, don't know what they are called. Only $10 extra for all that stuff. I will be returning that rediculous "new design" resistor pack to the stealer.

Got back here and tore it apart. Found that the factory must have thought there were problems with the blower harness on this van and had properly spliced in several replacement/backup wires to the wires where I had to put the pigtail, very odd. Also put a new blower motor in while changing the resistor pack just for good measure.

While you got all this stuff underhood apart it is a good idea to change any vacuum hoses you can reach. Most importantly the 5/32 one that goes to the vacuum ball under the heater box. Now the heater vacuum controls function quickly and the van seems to run a bit smoother.

Got everything back together and all speeds work work now, even low. There has never been a low speed before on the front blower. When the van was a few weeks old I was told by the dealer that there is no low speed in these vans in the front and it was just a spot on the switch that meant "off" and that since the rear heat was a dealer install it only has two speeds (high has never worked). I fell for it until a I figured out a few years later that they were lying to me in both cases. The rear heat was put in wrong in the first place.

The splice job on the wires was probably done on the assembley line to try to correct the no low speed issue but after it changed nothing they just let it roll down the line. The low speed in the resistor pack never did work and it stumped them.
97 Safari SLT AWD
68 AMC Javelin SST
85 AMC Eagle wagon 4x4
97 Ford Contour
Original Poster [OP]
maximus7001

Postby Redleader » December 1st 2010, 10:29pm

Hi can you help me with my problem,I have same problem...no blower speeds at all on my safari 92..have checked fan and all ok..will run with jump from battery..found resistor and looks and tests ok...have voltage to my fan switch and to my fan leads..but when connected nothing...connections are good ...fuse is ok..I have no electrical diagram...I have ordered a resistor..via usautomobiles in uk...but is this the answer...any info would be good..thanks.
Redleader
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Years of Membership: Redleader has been a member for 3 full yearsRedleader has been a member for 3 full yearsRedleader has been a member for 3 full years
Extra Info: 4.3ltr V6 4WD

Postby chevy57bert » December 1st 2010, 10:40pm

Pull the blower resistor/relay and inspect it, if it's cracked, burnt, broken,
it will need to be replaced.
Pull the harness connector off the blower resistor.
Test for positive voltage from the blower switch at the following wires (ignition on):

yellow is fan speed low,
tan is fan speed 2,
light blue is fan speed 3,
orange is fan high. If those voltages check out,

your blower switch is okay.
There is a red wire to that connector that should be hot all the time,
it is the feed for high blower,
and is fed by a 30 amp fuse in the under hood fuse/relay center
The black wire in the connector is ground.
Plug the harness back into the blower resistor and unplug the 2 wire connector to the blower motor.
Test for voltage across the 2 wires in different fan settings. If any don't work,
the blower resistor is bad.

I have no Electrical diagram for you..
chevy57bert
Section Moderator
Section Moderator
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L3)
Years of Membership: chevy57bert has been a member for 4 full yearschevy57bert has been a member for 4 full yearschevy57bert has been a member for 4 full yearschevy57bert has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 66
Alias (AKA): Bertjuh
Extra Info: Ext 4.3L rwd

Postby Phantom » December 1st 2010, 10:46pm

I will get you a diagram later tonight , I just went through a problem myself , and found 2 burnt connectors , , burnt spot can only be seen after separating the connector to see the pins , I put in a new blower motor and new resistor and it worked only a couple minutes , then I found the second burnt connector , went to the salvage yard and got new , excellent condition used connectors and soldered them in , good as new :)
Phantom

Postby chevy57bert » December 1st 2010, 10:53pm

Phantom wrote:I will get you a diagram later tonight

Can I copy that? :whistle: I need one to. I don`t have any electric diagram for my 92 Astro..
(It`s time to buy a electric FSM )
chevy57bert
Section Moderator
Section Moderator
Years of Membership: chevy57bert has been a member for 4 full yearschevy57bert has been a member for 4 full yearschevy57bert has been a member for 4 full yearschevy57bert has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 66
Alias (AKA): Bertjuh
Extra Info: Ext 4.3L rwd

Postby Phantom » December 1st 2010, 11:00pm

chevy57bert wrote:
Phantom wrote:I will get you a diagram later tonight

Can I copy that? :whistle: I need one to. I don`t have any electric diagram for my 92 Astro..
(It`s time to buy a electric FSM )

Sure , you can it 'll be a couple hours or so
Phantom

Next