Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

Ice cold heat!!

1K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  kennysmoke 
#1 ·
I have a 1997 Safari AWD.It seemed that the blower motor stopped working.I had replaced 2 of these in the 10 years I've had the van, but this time I had my mechanic do it.This was a 'game day' decision,and I got it back literally hours before the blizzard.Never tried it until I was on my way home from work.Now it blows ice cold air out of the defroster, the dash, the floor ducts, wherever.It never had working A/C! The temp gauge reads normal and there's plenty of coolant in the radiator.I had excellent heat/defrost in this van before the blower motor stopped working. I am guessing that a vacuum line isin't hooked up or something equally as silly.The shop's quite a ways from my house and I really need the van for at least another week before I can part with it.
Is there anything I can look for or check?This has got to be a simple dumb fix, but I don't know WTH I'm looking for.Any advise would be awesome.Thanks.

#4 ·
Shouldn't be the vacuum line, unless it was installed the wrong way...no vacuum to the valve means heat. Vacuum to the valve means no heat. I'd check to make sure the blend door is opening. You can see it up under the passenger side of the doghouse, there is a round metal piece with a slot on the outside of it that you can see move when you operate the heat control from cold to hot. Make sure that is moving when you do..it's electrical, not vacuum operated.

#6 ·
^ this.

The gears inside it are plastic and eventually one - or more - cracks.

Froze my a$$ off on the way home from my brother's place in Buffalo to Maryland when the stupid thing failed. T-shirt, denim shirt, fleece jacket, coat = still damned cold. Was 25° outside. Replaced the actuator, had blasting hot heat.

#11 ·
@redfury, you get the moneyvango prize (a big box with no bottom)! You were correct in determining that it was the blend door motor/actuator.It's been colder than a bat's *** here, so I let my mechanic take care of it.The part was about $90 and with the labor it came to about $250.My van is toasty and all is well until something else decides to take a dump in this beast,lol!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.