Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

Suspension upgrade

3K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  AstroWill 
#1 ·
Hi all, new to the forum, though I have been reading for a few months now and have enjoyed people's contributions.

I am the second owner of a 1999 Astro LS AWD. I purchased it in April 2006, the previous owners having logged about 108,000 miles using it as a traveling vehicle, mostly highway. I had to put in a new engine within six months due to a faulty head gasket leaking coolant into the oil. There is now 155,xxx on the van, mechanically sound but definitely showing its age and its time spent in the North. (It is now in Mississippi.)

I am fairly certain the suspension needs attention, both by looking at it (rotting bushings, corrosion) and by its rather yacht-like driving characteristics. I do not believe it has ever had any work done on any suspension component, certainly not in the ten years I have owned it.

Does anybody have any ideas on suspension upgrades (maybe suspension packages) that would allow for better driving dynamics, comfortable use as a touring vehicle (while carrying maybe 1000lbs of stuff and people) and maintain usability? It does not have running boards, though I have thought about installing them. I have also thought about airbags to lower the van at highway speeds.

Thoughts? It is not a daily driver and I have the garage space, so long term jobs/repairs are acceptable.

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

See less See more
#2 ·
I would start with a decent set of shocks and go from there. Shocks dampen the springs. If it's squatting too much when you add weight, you can upgrade/replace springs, or add overload springs/timbrens.

You are going to have to get under there and look/see what is needed. It's a process, or take it to a reputable shop.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.