4'x8' Plywood fit ?

Forum rules
Please do not post support requests in the new members lounge! This forum is for new member introductions and assistance only. Please post other topics in their appropriate areas so they stay categorized.

4'x8' Plywood fit ?

Postby signman [OP] » February 28th 2009, 3:18am

Will a 4'x8' sheet of plywood fit in the back of a short Astro/Safari ? I paint signs, I normaly used a fullsize Dodge Maxi-van but with gas being expensive now, I want an Astro/Safari. All help is appreciated. I don't have a van now. Thanks, Signman
Original Poster [OP]
signman
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Years of Membership: signman has been a member for 5 full yearssignman has been a member for 5 full yearssignman has been a member for 5 full yearssignman has been a member for 5 full yearssignman has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 2
Alias (AKA): Duane

Re: 4'x8' Plywood fit ?

Postby spongebob218 » February 28th 2009, 3:50am

A 4x8 sheet fits from the front seats to the rear doors in my 95, and its about 1 foot longer than a shorty. Maybe if you could angle them somehow? If you can get an 1st gen EXT or a 2nd gen they will fit, but you will have problems with a shorty.
You ain't nothin' unless you have green plugs.
spongebob218
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L1)
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L1)
Years of Membership: spongebob218 has been a member for 6 full yearsspongebob218 has been a member for 6 full yearsspongebob218 has been a member for 6 full yearsspongebob218 has been a member for 6 full yearsspongebob218 has been a member for 6 full yearsspongebob218 has been a member for 6 full years

Postby nielswheels » February 28th 2009, 5:08am

I buy 4 X 8 sheets from Home Depot all the time.....its amazing how much you can fit in a full size Astro/safari !!! I think they are better than trucks! They are the BEST :dance:
2000 Astro RWD
2000 Astro RWD Cargo
nielswheels
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Fueling (3/4 tank)
Fueling (3/4 tank)
Years of Membership: nielswheels has been a member for 5 full yearsnielswheels has been a member for 5 full yearsnielswheels has been a member for 5 full yearsnielswheels has been a member for 5 full yearsnielswheels has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 24
Alias (AKA): nielswheels
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: RWD Cargo

Postby signman [OP] » February 28th 2009, 5:17am

Thanks ya'll, Since I want the 2nd gen I guess I won't have any problems. The 2nd gen are '95 and newer, long nosed right ? When I find the right one and get it lettered I'll post pics. Again Thank ya'll, Signman
Original Poster [OP]
signman
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Years of Membership: signman has been a member for 5 full yearssignman has been a member for 5 full yearssignman has been a member for 5 full yearssignman has been a member for 5 full yearssignman has been a member for 5 full years

Postby Matrixx » February 28th 2009, 6:24am

Hi signman
96 or newer would be my suggestion if you are looking around. The 96s had all the updates than the 95s. 95 is an odd ball year for these vans. Just a suggestion.:)
96-GMC Safari - Rwd - Original Transmission - Exhaust - Air Cared - 3.73 Limited Slip Rear End - Motor Replaced - 91 octane (Chevron) for the last 14 years - MFI Upgrade - 640,000 Kilometers.
Matrixx
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L3)
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L3)
Years of Membership: Matrixx has been a member for 6 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 6 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 6 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 6 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 6 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 14

Postby astro355 » February 28th 2009, 9:11am

Yeah, I can't fit 4 x 8 sheets of drywall into my shorty. wah wah wahhh :shrug:
Diagnose 1st, never be a parts changer!

355 small block chevy w/ modified 700R4

astro355
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L6)
Years of Membership: astro355 has been a member for 6 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 6 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 6 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 6 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 6 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 57
Year: 1989
Extra Info: 355 V8 700R4

Postby signman [OP] » March 1st 2009, 2:32am

Hi All, Thanks for the info. Matrix, I was thinking 96 or 97, 95 seemed to be an odd year, there seem to be alot of all wheel drives available, and I read 98 was when they switched away from viscouis coupling for front drive, don't like too many electronics for front drive. I drive a 93 Cherokee now, hate to give it up, will keep for weekend 4 wheelin', rather have a rwd safari. I had a 93 astro a few years back, loved it, never tried a 4x8 in it, (wifes van for her daycare, lost it when I got rid of her :wave: , hated to see the astro go ! ) :( If the best deal I find is awd, can an s-10 transfer case be swapped in, And what's the scoop on lift amount (min.) for a straight axle swap for front ? If I find a rwd I'll probably lower it, what's reasonable for daily driver? Had an s-10 on air, layed frame, air systems too much trouble for daily driver shop van, would consider air asist to carry load though.
Original Poster [OP]
signman
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)

Postby handyvan » March 6th 2009, 5:06am

I just bought a 2000 astrovan and to my disgust i realized the astrovan can not comfortably fit a 4x8 sheet of ply. I'm sure of this. I had to round off the profile of the tail area 1 inch. If the van were only an inch and a half longer, i't be perfect. Don't get me wrong, if you pull the seats forward and tilt the backs straight up and watch out for the floor vents then your cool. Or... if you get the one with the hatch then you can easily just stack it on the dutch doors...and leave the top strapped down, wear a gas mask ok. other wise install a roof rack, i put a 12' on mine for sheet goods.
IMAGE_197.jpg
picture of da rack
new to me 2000 astro the handy van, reb. auto tranny, 105K, 16mpg. cruiser.
handyvan
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Years of Membership: handyvan has been a member for 5 full yearshandyvan has been a member for 5 full yearshandyvan has been a member for 5 full yearshandyvan has been a member for 5 full yearshandyvan has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 1
Alias (AKA): BiBi

Postby nielswheels » March 6th 2009, 8:47pm

I dont know where you buy your 4 X 8 sheets but all of mine fit. You just need to lay them on right up to the back of the seets ...over the end of the front carpet. Like a glove. Unless you have a shorty then they will not fit at all.
2000 Astro RWD
2000 Astro RWD Cargo
nielswheels
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Fueling (3/4 tank)
Fueling (3/4 tank)
Years of Membership: nielswheels has been a member for 5 full yearsnielswheels has been a member for 5 full yearsnielswheels has been a member for 5 full yearsnielswheels has been a member for 5 full yearsnielswheels has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 24
Alias (AKA): nielswheels
Extra Info: RWD Cargo

Postby astro355 » March 6th 2009, 11:49pm

I actually got 4x8 sheets of plywood to fit today in the shorty. Yes, I was bored. Well, no, I'm working on the house and need plywood and drywall so the great guys at home depot allowed me to try and see if it would fit (before I purchased it). With the bench seat left in and fully upright, we slid in one sheet. One end of the sheet was right by were my head was and the other end was in the corner created between the doors and the floor. I could only fit 6 sheets that way, luckily that's all I needed.
Diagnose 1st, never be a parts changer!

355 small block chevy w/ modified 700R4

astro355
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Years of Membership: astro355 has been a member for 6 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 6 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 6 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 6 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 6 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 57
Year: 1989
Extra Info: 355 V8 700R4

Postby astro-nomer » March 7th 2009, 4:05am

greetings,

new member here..

just wanted to add, that I moved a bunch of masonite in my shorty (that Im pretty sure was 4X8)
by standing the sheets on their sides running up between the seats.
I had to adjust my side view on the PS to still be able to use it leaned foreward,looking around the sheets.
94 RWD Astro "Z" shorty panel
astro-nomer
Fueling (3/8 tank)
Fueling (3/8 tank)
Years of Membership: astro-nomer has been a member for 5 full yearsastro-nomer has been a member for 5 full yearsastro-nomer has been a member for 5 full yearsastro-nomer has been a member for 5 full yearsastro-nomer has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 7

Postby signman [OP] » March 7th 2009, 5:24am

Thanks for your reply, I thought that would work. I don't have a van now, lookin', Have to cary signs on roof rack of my Jeep Cherokee, no fun. I like the 2nd gen long nose look, I'm lookin' for a 96 or 97 gmc safari, like the grill. Hope to find 2wd. Thanks !
Original Poster [OP]
signman
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)

Return to Member Introductions

It is currently October 31st 2014, 5:19pm

Member Introductions Forum
Member IntroductionsHello and welcome to the best and original home for Astro & Safari owners. Please introduce yourself to the community and make yourself at home. Tell us about yourself and post your introductions and welcome messages here.
To create a new topic in Member Introductions, click this button:
Previous topic Next topic
Recent Image Attachments
Views: 38308
Comments: 573
Date: Oct 24 '14
Time: 12:24am
» Read last comment
Views: 38308
Comments: 573
Date: Oct 21 '14
Time: 11:47pm