replacement oil cooler lines

replacement oil cooler lines

Postby jal [OP] » June 11th 2009, 6:31pm

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum.

The oil cooler lines on my 2001 Astro (55,000 miles) have been leaking for a long time and cause the accessory belt to squeak. I finally ordered one from gmpartsdirect, after independently getting the part number from a local dealer. The part number is 15764375. Overall the item I received looks correct including the fitting for the oil cooler and the bends in the metal portion of the lines. However, as you can see from the photos below, the fittings that go to the radiator appear to be much different. The first image is the upper fitting for the original line; the second image is for the new lower fitting. Anybody have a clue whether I really have the right part?

ImageImage
Original Poster [OP]
jal
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Years of Membership: jal has been a member for 5 full yearsjal has been a member for 5 full yearsjal has been a member for 5 full yearsjal has been a member for 5 full yearsjal has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 4

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author

Re: replacement oil cooler lines

Postby Matrixx » June 12th 2009, 5:39am

Hi jal

What someone has done is removed the threaded portion of that fitting in picture-1. It shouldn't have been done that way. As you can see a clip in picture-1 that was suppose to be removed, then the oil line fitting just slides out from their.

That's what your seeing in picture-2 when the lines are disconnected properly from the retaining clips. It looks the same. Please keep us updated, thanks. :)

PS: Don't loose the clips.:)
96-GMC Safari - Rwd - Original Transmission - Exhaust - Air Cared - 3.73 Limited Slip Rear End - Motor Replaced - 91 octane (Chevron) for the last 14 years - MFI Upgrade - 640,000 Kilometers.
Matrixx
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L3)
Years of Membership: Matrixx has been a member for 6 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 6 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 6 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 6 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 6 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 14

Postby Mr_Bowtie » June 12th 2009, 2:41pm

I was going to suggest that last night, but I wasn't 100% sure. Why in the world wouldn't new lines just come with the fittings on them? I may have to replace mine soon......ugh. :banghead:
'96 Astro AWD 206K miles!
31" tires LIFTED 4" total with tires! SOLD! :(
Mr_Bowtie
250k+ Miles
250k+ Miles
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: Mr_Bowtie has been a member for 4 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 4 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 4 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 69
Alias (AKA): Nick
Year: 1996
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: Lifted AWD

Postby jal [OP] » June 12th 2009, 5:36pm

I called the place I got them from, and they confirmed that everything was OK. The threaded fittings come off if you remove a small clip, and then they go onto the new lines. I changed it out this morning, and it took maybe 45 min (including oil+filter change and lube).
Original Poster [OP]
jal
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Years of Membership: jal has been a member for 5 full yearsjal has been a member for 5 full yearsjal has been a member for 5 full yearsjal has been a member for 5 full yearsjal has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 4

Postby Mr_Bowtie » June 12th 2009, 9:30pm

Good to know it was a straight forward swap. I will be doing this soon if my suspensions are correct. :(
'96 Astro AWD 206K miles!
31" tires LIFTED 4" total with tires! SOLD! :(
Mr_Bowtie
250k+ Miles
250k+ Miles
Years of Membership: Mr_Bowtie has been a member for 4 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 4 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 4 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 69
Alias (AKA): Nick
Year: 1996
Extra Info: Lifted AWD

Postby Leeann_93 » June 13th 2009, 4:35am

They are very different between the 2001 and 1992 motors. Yours will come with threaded nuts installed, no clips.
'02 Astro SL AWD vin X
'99 Safari XLE AWD vin W - broke
'93 AWD EXT vin W - real broke
Image Image
Leeann_93
250k+ Miles
250k+ Miles
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L6)
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L6)
Years of Membership: Leeann_93 has been a member for 5 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 5 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 5 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 5 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 18
Year: 2002
Extra Info: SL 4.3L AWD

Postby Matrixx » June 13th 2009, 8:22am

Actually folks, the correct way is to remove each clip with a small pointed pick and the line fittings just slide out. Their isn't any need to remove the threaded portion which adds more work if your just replacing the oil cooler lines. I have done it twice on my van, and it's the same style with jal's (from what I see in the above pictures). Just to clarify.:)
96-GMC Safari - Rwd - Original Transmission - Exhaust - Air Cared - 3.73 Limited Slip Rear End - Motor Replaced - 91 octane (Chevron) for the last 14 years - MFI Upgrade - 640,000 Kilometers.
Matrixx
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer
Years of Membership: Matrixx has been a member for 6 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 6 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 6 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 6 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 6 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 14