Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

New members, please include some pictures of your van...

131K views 942 replies 377 participants last post by  WoodButcher 
#1 ·
Just as the title says. Its great that new members are signing up everyday. And it would be nice to put a van to that member name. So please, if you can, post some pics. And if you have any questions about uploading pics or such, please, ask away.

Jim

#558 ·
Hello!

Found this site which is good since I just purchased a Previously Owned 2001 Astro LS awd (V6) and know nothing about all the bells and whistles on it. The owners manual got soaked and most of the pages are stuck together. Needs a little tLC and I'll get to that in other forum areas. I had a 93 Safari conversion van quite a long time ago and I liked it. Now I need the room for the kids and grandchild.

I know it needs a bath, just after I got it home...

#559 ·
jimvw57 said:
Hello!

Found this site which is good since I just purchased a Previously Owned 2001 Astro LS awd (V6) and know nothing about all the bells and whistles on it. The owners manual got soaked and most of the pages are stuck together...
There is a 2001 Owner's Manual PDF in the "Owner's Manuals" section of this forum. Scroll down toward the bottom of the "Home" page.

Lump

#563 ·
Greetings from the UK (or what is left of it...).

I acquired my '95 Astro CL last month. It has a mere 52K miles on it and is in pretty good shape.

It has been lowered, with a rear axle flip-kit and shorter springs at the front, there's a set of 'period' 16" Boyds alloy wheels fitted and the rear bumper has been removed and a fibre glass roll pan has been installed (together with a particularly nasty DIY tow bar).

As well as being colour coded, it also features some airbrushed tricolour stripes, which appear to have been added by a crew called All Star in Long Beach, CA.

I will apply some TLC and sort a couple of minor nicks and scrapes to the body, remove the roll pan and tow bar and fit a chrome rear bumper I have acquired.

Its intended uses are for one or two night camping excursions and general hauling of 'stuff'. But given that I am located very near to the England/Scotland border, with the inevitable enmity from the forthcoming independence vote, it might have a future role running guns across the border for whichever side loses...

#567 ·
New member and proud owner of my second Astro. We're moving to Mexico for one year where we'll be building a shipping container house on our property in Sayulita. We'll be using Sayulita as our home base but exploring much of the area in the Astro Van. I choose the Astro for many reasons; AWD, ground clearance, comfort, cargo capacity, seating capacity, and most importantly, availability of parts. There are Astros all over Mexico. We're not leaving until June so I'll spend the next several months going over everything with a fine tooth comb. Thanks in advance, I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions along the way.

1996 Astro, AWD, 174,000 miles. Running and driving great.

Attachments

#573 ·
The Drummer said:
Hi shortydoowoop, do you know who makes the cladding/kit on your van ?, looks kinda like the ones on the express/savana , very nice .
That body kit is made by the conversion van company. Explorer.

#574 ·
SilverBullet1997 said:
The Drummer said:
Hi shortydoowoop, do you know who makes the cladding/kit on your van ?, looks kinda like the ones on the express/savana , very nice .
That body kit is made by the conversion van company. Explorer.
Yea, SilverBullet1997, it's an Explorer conversion. I love it. Needs a few bugs fixed but overall it's a good & solid van. My only real issue is the jack or lack thereof. I've checked every nook & cranny on this thing to no avail. Guess I'll go buy 1 to toss in the back, under the bed.

#576 ·
Drummer,

Carid.com & Andysautosport.com both sell body kits for Astro/Safari. I like the look that my kit gives me but due to the valance/air dam, I can't lower it or it'll scrap going into driveways & over speed bumps. I might go with a bigger rim & do a 2" drop to balance it out. But that won't happen until after I move.