Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

Another member from Western Washington

1K views 12 replies 11 participants last post by  Christoph 
#1 ·
Hello fellow Astro/Safari enthusiasts.

I have owned two handicap modified Chrysler minivans for the past 17 years.

About a year ago it became necessary for us to look for a van that can pull a motorcycle trailer. All my research led to the choice of either an Astro or a Safari… the VW eurovan was also another possibility that was quickly dropped because of the cost of maintenance.

About nine months ago I discovered this wonderful website and my mind was made.

As things have a way of just working out, two weeks ago I found a 1997 AWD Astro conversion van only about 30 miles away. It has had two owners, great repair history, 110k miles, and a wheelchair lift already built in… I bought it for $3000.

I look forward to being a member of this group and hopefully making contributions to the discussions.

front.JPG

Attachments

See less See more
#7 ·
What a great score. That is a fantastic looking van.

I know a guy In Bellingham, that has a lifted Astro, but will sooner or later need a handicap van (Lou Gerhig's Disease). I know he is really partial to Astros and would prefer not to have a full size van, even for a wheelchair van.

I know he'll grin when he sees these pics.

Thanks for posting.

Edit: Moto trailer? Who the heck ever heard of a handicap van hauling a moto trailer? :thumbup: What's the story there?

#8 ·
Welcome to the forum from a fellow washingtonian. :D Sweet van!

#9 ·
Thank you for all your kind welcomes.

Christoph, the story behind a motorcycle trailer is that we have a daughter who has done the poker run in desert 100 two years in a row and is now ready for a bigger bike! Her Yamaha TTR125 actually fit inside my handicap modified minivan... you should have seen the astounded look on peoples faces when we showed up at the events :shock:

#13 ·
AstroGimp said:
Thank you for all your kind welcomes.

Christoph, the story behind a motorcycle trailer is that we have a daughter who has done the poker run in desert 100 two years in a row and is now ready for a bigger bike! Her Yamaha TTR125 actually fit inside my handicap modified minivan... you should have seen the astounded look on peoples faces when we showed up at the events :shock:
That is a great story. Thanks for the pm.

I used to ride enduro with a lifted Astro guy until he got ALS. His favorite rider was Laia Sanz, a great role model for his daughters.
( I left Gas Gas about the same time she did.)

I forwarded pics of your van and he may take you up or your very thoughtful offer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.