Air shocks?

Air shocks?

Postby Mr_Bowtie [OP] » January 1st 2010, 10:10pm

Anyone running air shocks? I wanna put air shocks out back of my Astro Van AWD and get my back end sitting above the front end(fiberglass springs look good out back...maybe slightly weak though?). My ride already sucks cause all my shocks look to be orginal/rusted to crap. I was going to do Monroe shocks up front and Monroe Air Shocks out back. They are $22 a piece up front and $75 for a pair of air shocks out back. Any advice or feedback would be awesome! :bow:
(I have a $75 gift card to O'reilly's :mrgreen: )
'96 Astro AWD 206K miles!
31" tires LIFTED 4" total with tires! SOLD! :(
Original Poster [OP]
Mr_Bowtie
250k+ Miles
250k+ Miles
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: Mr_Bowtie has been a member for 5 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 5 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 5 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 5 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 69
Alias (AKA): Nick
Year: 1996
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: Lifted AWD

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author

Re: Air shocks?

Postby Jasen » January 2nd 2010, 12:05am

Everyone gave me crap about putting air shocks in the back of my hot rod wagon. Said it would destroy the handling. I needed a push bumper on that car to push all the lowered coffee can mufflered Hondas outa my way. That wagon handled like it was on rails.

My :2:
I'm a Journeyman woodworker,
Every projects a journey man.

Ultra gauge

Being a mad scientist IS NOT as easy as it look's on TV

Jasen
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Years of Membership: Jasen has been a member for 5 full yearsJasen has been a member for 5 full yearsJasen has been a member for 5 full yearsJasen has been a member for 5 full yearsJasen has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 261
Year: 1997
Extra Info: AWD cargo Dutch door

Postby Mr_Bowtie [OP] » January 2nd 2010, 3:10am

Anything has to be better then my worn out shocks. I really want them just lift the Van slightly more in the rear, but just checking as I have never had a pair of air shocks. :shrug:
Good to know they worked fine for you. Thanks for responding man!
Original Poster [OP]
Mr_Bowtie
250k+ Miles
250k+ Miles
Years of Membership: Mr_Bowtie has been a member for 5 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 5 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 5 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 5 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 5 full years

Postby Jasen » January 2nd 2010, 3:30am

You might also think about valve steam placement. You probably don't want to get down on your hands and knees to change your ride height especially in foul weather.
In that car, I put them in the fuel door.

Ultra gauge

Jasen
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Years of Membership: Jasen has been a member for 5 full yearsJasen has been a member for 5 full yearsJasen has been a member for 5 full yearsJasen has been a member for 5 full yearsJasen has been a member for 5 full years

Postby Mr_Bowtie [OP] » January 2nd 2010, 4:47am

Jasen wrote:You might also think about valve steam placement. You probably don't want to get down on your hands and knees to change your ride height especially in foul weather.
In that car, I put them in the fuel door.

Thanks for the tip! Or maybe the inner fender wells? :shrug:
Original Poster [OP]
Mr_Bowtie
250k+ Miles
250k+ Miles

Postby astroturf » January 2nd 2010, 5:52am

Shouldn't springs be used for ride height and shocks used for balancing the ride?
My Cup is neither half empty nor half full... But has a hole in it. Holy Cup Holders Batman. LOLz, Jim
astroturf
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Years of Membership: astroturf has been a member for 4 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 4 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 4 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 112
Extra Info: 2wd Passenger

Postby Jasen » January 2nd 2010, 6:35am

Air shocks serve kind of a double duty. They aren't as good as a set of quality gas shocks, but I don't think Mr. Bowtie is going for high performance.
The other option is a add a leaf, those aren't all there cracked up to be and it doesn't sound like that will really help here seeing those are more of an over load helper spring. Then theres air bags, which aren't cheap.
Correct me if I'm wrong Bowtie, but it sounds like were going for a budget job here.

Ultra gauge

Jasen
Site Contributor
Site Contributor

Postby GaryZ » January 2nd 2010, 5:16pm

First let me comment that I think the multi-leaf rear springs in my '98 Astro ride way better than the single composite spring that I had on my previous vans. My '91 Safari needed extra help when towing my loaded trailer and I put air shocks on it. It did really well when loaded, but, unloaded I hated it. The unloaded ride was choppy and undamped.

I bought the '98 and again needed the extra help towing. Moved the air shocks to '98. At first the unloaded ride was OK. It got worse as the miles piled up. I now do most of my towing with my C1500 and recently bought a set of Monroe Sensa-Trac shocks for the '98 Astro. I highly recommend them!

All of this is FYI because it doesn't solve your problem. If I were still doing a lot of towing with the Astro, I would install the Sensa-Trac with load adjusting . . . http://www.monroe.com/products/sensatra ... shocks.asp

If I had the money to spend I would buy the standard Sensa-Trac and add air springs for towing (got 'em on my C1500 and love 'em)

My 2 cents . . .
'98 Astro AWD, white with gray interior,
3.42:1 diffs, 235/70 x 15 tires,
195,000 miles on original engine and trans
'99 Kawasaki ZX11D
'85 Yamaha Venture Royale with 1300 engine & Vmax cams
GaryZ
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: GaryZ has been a member for 5 full yearsGaryZ has been a member for 5 full yearsGaryZ has been a member for 5 full yearsGaryZ has been a member for 5 full yearsGaryZ has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 6
Extra Info: AWD

Postby astroturf » January 2nd 2010, 5:26pm

GaryZ wrote:First let me comment that I think the multi-leaf rear springs in my '98 Astro ride way better than the single composite spring that I had on my previous vans. My '91 Safari needed extra help when towing my loaded trailer and I put air shocks on it. It did really well when loaded, but, unloaded I hated it. The unloaded ride was choppy and undamped.

I bought the '98 and again needed the extra help towing. Moved the air shocks to '98. At first the unloaded ride was OK. It got worse as the miles piled up. I now do most of my towing with my C1500 and recently bought a set of Monroe Sensa-Trac shocks for the '98 Astro. I highly recommend them!

All of this is FYI because it doesn't solve your problem. If I were still doing a lot of towing with the Astro, I would install the Sensa-Trac with load adjusting . . . http://www.monroe.com/products/sensatra ... shocks.asp

If I had the money to spend I would buy the standard Sensa-Trac and add air springs for towing (got 'em on my C1500 and love 'em)

My 2 cents . . .

Would a set of Timbrens have helped?
My Cup is neither half empty nor half full... But has a hole in it. Holy Cup Holders Batman. LOLz, Jim
astroturf
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Years of Membership: astroturf has been a member for 4 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 4 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 4 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 112
Extra Info: 2wd Passenger

Postby rev_les » January 2nd 2010, 5:28pm

I have air shocks on the rear of the '99,and Gabriel Pro Riders on the front.The air shocks make the ride a bit choppier, but I prefer to feel what a vehicle's doing anyway. I tried one of those add a leaf kits, it sucked,and eventually one side broke, so I tossed them and put on the air shocks. I have the valve stem mounted in the cargo area inside the van. I'm not sure what springs my '95 has, I never looked when I was under it, but it rides considerably smoother than the '99 does, even before I added the air shocks.
Figure out the problem before buying parts
NRA Lifetime Member
2'nd amendment supporter
'13 Jeep Patriot
'01 Safari 150K 4.3 "W" 3.42's
'87 Monte Carlo SS
'79 Avco 32' RV
rev_les
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L3)
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L3)
Years of Membership: rev_les has been a member for 5 full yearsrev_les has been a member for 5 full yearsrev_les has been a member for 5 full yearsrev_les has been a member for 5 full yearsrev_les has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 37
Alias (AKA): Les
Extra Info: LS 4.3 RWD

Postby Mr_Bowtie [OP] » January 3rd 2010, 3:46am

Jasen wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong Bowtie, but it sounds like were going for a budget job here.

^EXACTLY! My whole Van is budget. :rofl: I just wanted to get a little better stance out of the old girl for cheap. I figure she has served my for almost a year now its about time I do a couple little fun mods to her. :rockon:

I don't tow or anything, so they won't be under any added stress. As for ride they should be better then what I got as the shocks I have leaked their fluid out on my driveway this summer. Lets just say its no fun sitting in the back unless your 5 years old. :D
Original Poster [OP]
Mr_Bowtie
250k+ Miles
250k+ Miles

Postby Mr_Bowtie [OP] » January 13th 2010, 4:02am

OK.........so got my air shocks on and they won't pump up anymore then 55psi? WTF? They seem to be holding pressure steady at 55psi. The back end of my Van doesn't look like it even lifted at all...........air leak, but yet its still hold pressure........weird? Bad shocks.... :banghead:
Original Poster [OP]
Mr_Bowtie
250k+ Miles
250k+ Miles

Postby red98tj » January 13th 2010, 4:49am

I have airlift 1000 helpers on my Avalanche for towing, and they are great. The ride is unaffected when deflated. I put the valve in one of the rear liscense plate holes. They were fairly cheap to buy, I got a set for around $70 from JCWhitney. they fit inside the coil springs, the ones for leaf spring vehicles are alot more $ I would not hesitate to get some for my astro.
Vehicles:
2005 Chevy Avalanchesold
2000 Chevy Astro AWDsold
2003 Chrysler T&C AWD
2003 GMC Yukon XL 2500 Quadrasteer
2007 Chrysler Pacifica awd
2012 Keystone Outback 312bh
red98tj
Fueling (1/2 tank)
Fueling (1/2 tank)
Years of Membership: red98tj has been a member for 5 full yearsred98tj has been a member for 5 full yearsred98tj has been a member for 5 full yearsred98tj has been a member for 5 full yearsred98tj has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 10
Alias (AKA): kevin
Extra Info: LT AWD

Postby GaryZ » January 13th 2010, 6:55pm

Mr_Bowtie wrote:OK.........so got my air shocks on and they won't pump up anymore then 55psi? WTF? They seem to be holding pressure steady at 55psi. The back end of my Van doesn't look like it even lifted at all...........air leak, but yet its still hold pressure........weird? Bad shocks.... :banghead:

Something doesn't sound right. My air shocks would lift the rear end with only 20 PSI and I rarely ran more than 25 PSI with a load.

Did you remove the air inlet plugs on each shock before connecting the air lines?
Are the o-rings properly installed on each air fitting?
Could you have a pinched the air line?
Is the air supply valve working properly?
Is your pump operating properly?
'99 Kawasaki ZX11D
GaryZ
Years of Membership: GaryZ has been a member for 5 full yearsGaryZ has been a member for 5 full yearsGaryZ has been a member for 5 full yearsGaryZ has been a member for 5 full yearsGaryZ has been a member for 5 full years

Postby Mr_Bowtie [OP] » January 14th 2010, 3:02am

The rear did lift....just can't tell really. :lol:

My shocks are rated for 50psi to 190psi.........so....55psi is just hardly starting to lift I guess? :shrug:

I think whats going on is that the gas station air pump will only allow 55psi max pressure into anything for liability reasons. So, I think I need to take a trip over to my buddys house and use his higher rated air compressor. :shrug:
Original Poster [OP]
Mr_Bowtie
250k+ Miles
250k+ Miles

Postby GaryZ » January 14th 2010, 9:48pm

The limited air pressure makes sense . . .

What brand of air shocks?
'99 Kawasaki ZX11D
GaryZ

Postby Mr_Bowtie [OP] » January 14th 2010, 11:42pm

These are the ones I bought(if the link works for you?):
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detai ... &ppt=C0035

Monroe Air shocks for $75....not a bad deal for the pair.

My Van is tighter in the corners now, but my old shocks were orginal and almost non-existant back there. :lol:
Original Poster [OP]
Mr_Bowtie
250k+ Miles
250k+ Miles

Postby GaryZ » January 15th 2010, 9:53pm

Those are the same ones I had on my van.
As I said before, when the damping goes bad, they ride terrible.
Maybe even as bad as your wore-out originals! :rolling:
'99 Kawasaki ZX11D
GaryZ

Postby Mr_Bowtie [OP] » January 15th 2010, 10:30pm

They have a lifetime warranty.......I will take them in and exchange them if they start to ride crappy. You get what you pay for though...........$75 is pretty cheap. :banana:
Original Poster [OP]
Mr_Bowtie
250k+ Miles
250k+ Miles

Postby GaryZ » January 16th 2010, 6:22pm

You know, I had not thought of that . . . :roll:
'99 Kawasaki ZX11D
GaryZ

Next