Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

Hi I'm new

828 views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  Leeann_93 
#1 ·
Hey everyone, I recently bought a 98 Astro with running boards. It's a conversion. It was in dreadful shape under the hood but that's mostly sorted out, the interior is somewhat shabby and doused with Febreze, and has a mystery spill in one spot, and I'm turning it into a camper so I can camp at shooting events (I teach rifle marksmanship) and also on vacations. I took out the captains chairs in the middle and left the bench seat. There is a broken spring under there and I can't lay the seat down. I think I might take it out too, but for now it's supporting a plywood bed platform on one side. When I do take it out, I'm going to put in a little kitchen just behind the sliding door.

A secondary stereo behind the drivers seat in the wall doesn't appear to even be getting power. I want to remove it and put a solar controller and inverter there, and put solar panels on the roof. Or, since it snows here, perhaps just charge the deep-cycles from the alternator, and have solar panels as an optional set-out for boondocking. (then there is the question of where to store them).

For now the bed is over the mystery spill. My cheap solution will be to put a piece of corrugated plastic under the bed so that the spill doesn't dirty up whatever I put under the bed. Eventually I'll want to replace the carpeting, probably with Pergo or something like that.

See less See more
#2 ·
Hey and welcome! Ambitious plans...we LIKE ambitious plans around here. Mystery spill? Call Grissom and the C.S.I. guys...you never know LoL. Why not mount the P.V. cells permanently? Or do you need the roof rack for gear? Broken seat springs aren't that big of a deal but it sounds like your seat is kinda "buried" LoL. Good luck with the upgrades!
-Mike-

#4 ·
astroadastrum - Welcome to the Greatest Astro / Safari forum on the Internet.

There are a few Ladies ( Leeann, in particular ) and lots of guys with an enormous amount of help and willingness ready to "Spring into Action". Searching for answers is a great start - almost too many responses - hard to choose.

And to think - it will only cost you PHOTOS. Post as many as you like. Everybody loves em', cuz if we don't see Photos - it never happened... ( to quote a wise sage here )

Again, Welcome and ask away!!

Mike

#6 ·
Bien venu to the forum. Unfortunately you missed being the 1 billionth new member by only 1.

Please don't get all depressed and decide to put a round thru the truck's radiator to "put it out of

its' misery." You can still hang around for some good ideas, lots of information, and some silly

stuff as well.

Keep on truck'n

Uncle Bob

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.