Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

Leaf Springs - Build Your Own Pack

107K views 253 replies 31 participants last post by  ADDvanced 
#1 ·
I've been PM'ing with WoodButcher about his spring pack that he assembled from various leaves
from more than one vehicle. Rather than keep the discussion in the dark,
here's a thread where all can contribute and benefit.

The concept -
Use various leaves out of various springs to built the height and load carrying spring that you want for your van.

My 89 has glass springs. They don't look frayed or broken at all but I want LIFT. So I'm
replacing them with steel leaves.

Here's the two springs I'm working with (I bought a complete pair of each, only showing one of each in these pics).
The shorter spring is from a 99 Astro.
The taller spring is from a 2001 S-10 pickup, 2WD, 4.3 V6.
It is exactly the same dimensions as Astro/Safari steel springs - 26x28 - 2.5" wide.

About 3 3/4 inch difference in the height of the springs at rest... :banana-parachute:

OK. Here's a question for the spring rebuilder experts.
In the photo below, the clamp thingies in YELLOW, those appear to be rivited on.
I had to bend the fingers away with a BFH to get the captive spring out.
Also, the nylon/plastic insulator thingies in RED. Those appear to be mounted with a
"one time only" push on connector. I had to destroy those to disassemble the sandwich.

The question, do you reuse those same clamp thingies (the YELLOW circles)? Or do you
use some kind of alternative that is bolt on?

AND

Surely you buy new nylon insulators (the RED circles). I've seen several types listed in catalogs.
Do you replace with the exact same style or is there a better, stronger, groovier style and do they
push into place with that same kind of "ladder lock - one time only" connection?

Here's the disassembled S10 leaves, wire brushed and primered with rust converter.

The +1 spring on this S10 pack is a real monster!... :character-cookiemonster:

Domestic animals always seem to enjoy hanging around while I'm working on any project....:animals-dogrun:
Circled behind the palm tree, Harley the horse.

Lump

See less See more
#202 ·
yea the measurement was 26on one side to center and 28 on other side to center. prob gonna just get s-10 ones just cause i know they will fit. i wonder how stiff they would be? if i can get them for litte to nothin i might try them just to see what its like. i couldnt tell from lumpys pics the exact amount of arch. quess i will see what happens. thanks for the insight though

#205 ·
Just wanted to say thanks for this awesome post. I am going to do this conversion on the Tiger and I'm hoping to get it just tall enough to match the front(after 2in body lift). Tons of great information in this post!

#206 ·
hey lumpy! im a new member but ive been reading this thread and your coil thread alot trying to figure out what i need to do to get my van up in the air, i pretty much have everything ordered and im basically doing the exact same lift as you on my 92 ext astro! hope you dont mind haha but a few quick questions, what size U bolts did you use for the new leaf spring plates?, did you have to extend brake lines? and would you happen to know what size bolts go in the new 95 and newer spring hangers? sorry to flood you with questions haha but thank you for youre time and experimentation, i cant tell you how much its helped me so far!

-shane

#209 ·
For u-bolts, axle is 2.75" diameter and springs/spring plates are 2.5" width so heavy-duty 5/8" u-bolts x 2.75" diameter x whatever length you want, 10" usually for heavy-duty spring packs.

Spring hangar bolt info can be found here:

http://www.gmpartseast.com/Page_Pro...ctionDate=&VehicleInfo=&CatalogCode=53M&Year=

M14X2X110 10.9 hangar / leaf bolts

M14X2X152 10.9 front hangar mount bolts

M14X2X155 10.9 frame / shackle bolts

#211 ·
okay not sure how to word this,
I was at the wrecker the other day. scoping out parts and hidden in a 99 safari i saw a set of brand new leaf springs. that appeared at first glance to be for the van and i was about to snag them as the were already out just not installed.. the length and width apeared to be the same as the van,,however i was reluctant to buy them as one of the eyelets were smaller in diameter than the opposite end..curious if these vans have a secondary collar over one of the eyelets? I was so tempted as they were inside the van brand new curious if the previous owner just didnt get around to installing...but the smaller eyelet scared me off.

#212 ·
astroman97 said:
I was at the wrecker the other day. scoping out parts and hidden in a 99 safari i saw a set of brand new leaf springs. that appeared at first glance to be for the van and i was about to snag them as the were already out just not installed.. the length and width apeared to be the same as the van,,however i was reluctant to buy them as one of the eyelets were smaller in diameter than the opposite end..curious if these vans have a secondary collar over one of the eyelets? I was so tempted as they were inside the van brand new curious if the previous owner just didnt get around to installing...but the smaller eyelet scared me off.
This junk yard have no return policy?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

#213 ·
thegreenmachine said:
astroman97 said:
This junk yard have no return policy?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
yes but only 30 days and don't think i would tackle the job till spring(no garage)

#214 ·
The eye diameter should be 1.5" Even if it were a bit smaller you could have a machine shop turn down a poly bushing to fit (or do it yourself on a drill press with some sandpaper etc.). I'd snag 'em and maybe even build a custom pack using an old strofari top spring if need be. If the eye is bigger than 1.5" I'm sure you could make a sleeve of some sort.

#215 ·
Here is what I did on my leafs today. Having read lots of these articles on converting a 95 mono leaf to steel springs. I bought a z83 pack from 98 s10. It only had 3 total leafs, 1 main, 1 intermediate (22-687), and the overload. I also bought complete hanger to hanger steel rear leafs from 98 Astro. This also gives me the front and rear hangers which are different on the mono setup. I pulled the intermediate from the astro pack and put in the intermediate from the s10, I then bolted in the leafs. I gained 2 in height mt and squatted only 1-3/4 inches with 400 lbs on the bumper, ride is still smooth as factory. :banana: :dance:

#217 ·
My language is Spanish, excuse the errors in English. I was reading that you had put a moog 650 coil in front. Had gained almost 4 inches, wanted to know if you use them yet and if you recommend me. to buy at autozone for $ 116.00 here in Puerto Rico. I would appreciate the help you can give me.

George

#218 ·
George1571 said:
My language is Spanish, excuse the errors in English. I was reading that you had put a moog 650 coil in front. Had gained almost 4 inches, wanted to know if you use them yet and if you recommend me...
No problemo George.

I've had the big front coils in now for a couple of years. It's a LOT of work to compress them enough to install. A big air compressor, impact gun and heavy spring compressor are required. They end up bent a little so it's hard to get large diameter shocks inside them. I recommend replacing the control arms and using ball joint spacers to keep the steering geometry intact.

Then I recommend replacing all the front steering links and arms with components that allow the geometry to be somewhat normal. They ride very, very rough. It took some experimenting for me to get my adjustable shocks DOWN to a level that's not bone jarring (they're set on ZERO on a zero to nine scale).

Then the U-joints.

Then the steering intermediate shaft (I still need to do that).

Then remove the engine driven fan and install an eFan from a Ford Taurus or similar.

And then...well there's always something.. :driving:

Lump

#220 ·
I'd say that ANY lift is "a lot of work". Body pucks and rear shackles is "relatively less work" but it's still a lot of problem solving and physical wrenching and moving of heavy iron.

The higher you go, the more new parts, the more tools, bigger tools, more interacting things to address.

But it's all a lot of work.

This particular thread is about rear leafs. There's more than one extensive thread about front end lift. But they're simply not separate. You lift the front, you lift the rear. It's not likely that anyone lifts only one end of the van.

As always, I recommend reading beyond anyone's projected lift. ie, if you're thinking of 3 inches, read and study the 9-10 or even 30 inch lifts. They're all a little different. But they're all a little bit "the same". My solution to leaf to axle mounting, for example, wasn't the same as CargoCrawler's. One or the other, or a combination of both, may or may not give you ideas for your particular lift.

And for some "is that easy" is a whole different ball game. Maher would think nothing of dropping a transmission and rebuilding it while waiting to pick up his kids from soccer practice. So his version of "is that easy" is quite a bit different than mine.

Lump

#223 ·
George1571 said:
I work in my van. In back change the mono leaf to metal, And 2" chakle wirh pinion chim 2 grade, shock absorber 2" more long. Front coil spring of chevy 1500 (1.5" inch) but i want 4 inch more front an back for 30X9.50. see my van pic. thanks
You're going to need some tall body spacer blocks or some new spindles for the front. The rear can easily be lifted 4" with a Lumpster-style Frankenspring pack.

I made my own:

The lift was crazy high (alto loco, vato) before I added my rear bumper:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.