Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

Carrying weight (question from a new guy)

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  WoodButcher 
#1 ·
I and sure this one has been asked, What is the best way to maximize the weight my 02 cargo van can carry? I need to do it on the cheap and I have access to a pretty good junk yard.

I am pretty handy and with specific directions, I'd like to do it myself to save money and have the satisfaction.

I am a self contracted delivery driver, so more weight, means more $ in my pocket.

Thanks!

Mick

2002 (plain jane) asto cargo

Already fixed:
transmission
catalytic convertor
front shocks
vent issue
door handles (several)
new seat belt receivers
replaced drawer under Passenger seat
took care of rust and waterproofed cargo area
replaced door seals

See less See more
#3 ·
Welcome to the forum.
CC hit most of it, change your oil more often, keep a grease gun handy. My white van is still running and she's got 275,000 on now.
Add a trans cooler and expect to run in 3rd when loaded, I don't know if you have the tow / haul button the newer astros have. I switched over to an electric fan from a Subaru, twins actually, got rid of most of the fan shroud so I.ve got easy access to the front of the motor. When the rad blew I put in a dual core. Expect an intake manifold gasket if it hasn't been done yet.
Ultragauge, one of the most used tools on my genII.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.