Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

cheap shackle extension

18K views 21 replies 17 participants last post by  dee man 
#1 ·
since a few different members have thought about extending their shackle and i have been trying to help them with ideas i thought i would post up a quick idea that may at minimum inspire new ideas other than "stacking"shackles together
shackle 1.JPG

let me start by saying the original picture was a partial from overland vans kit
this set up would work with steel leave springs. since the poly springs are .5" wider than the steel you start with a poly shackle. then go to your local checkerzone and get the shackle kit that they have or supply some equal length steel .25" thick. the green is the new steel or new shackle. bolt it on with a bolt long enough to engage threads all the way through the nut. it should go through the factory shackle then the new piece. then drawn in pink is a spacer that will go around the bolt that is as wide as the same hole as the spring being used is. usually 2.5" but measure to be sure. then through the other new shackle or steel and then finally through the other side of the original shackle. put the nut on and tighten it on. then put the new end on the spring with one washer inside for a slight spacing. this will help with the heat when it pulls the metal. now weld it up along the black line. all the way around both sides. if wanted weld the pink spacer in as well when all the bolts are still tight. then take out the final bolt through the spring and remove the washer. install the newly modified shackle in the factory position with factory hardware. then put the bolt through the spring and all that work is now instant cheap lift. sorry no pics as this is to aid in others questions welcome though

Note the picture has multiple holes in the shackle. it is already a lifted shackle. this is just for demonstration so factory parts will vary slightly. the factory one will only have one hole.

See less See more
#2 ·
Thats pretty good. If someone didn't have access to a welder, what about extending the shackle extensions so that you could use a bolt and sleeve in the lower holes as well as the upper holes.

#3 ·
that would work as well as long as you could get the bolts very tight and more than one bolt per side so it does not act as a pivot

#5 ·
Wish I had done this! would have saved me some cash.

On a side note. I think we need a sticky in the lifted section on the different lift/shock options for the front and rear. I think there must be about 20 threads asking the same question "How do I lift my Astro cheaply?"

#10 ·
See, you just gotta raise your voice and stuff get's done ;) Thanks Austin :thumbup:

I haven't gone out to look at the stock shackles, but in general knowledge of shackles, I don't see why your couldn't weld on some extensions.
I was having a little PM conversation with Joe and this is kind of what got this thread going.

The idea I was bouncing off Joe.

I was thinking of using some 2"x3" 3/16 wall tube and making some. I've got a buddy that works at a commercial sheet metal fab shop so it would be an easy/free thing for me to do.

#11 ·
Here's a quick idea:
I had a stock S10 shackle laying around in the snow, so after kicking around behind the shop for a few minutes, "aha!" There it is...

I borrowed your idea $uperJoe (thanks) and 'stacked' them together. I was originally going to extend the Astro's stock shackle with iron I had left over from a trailer project, but remembered the shackles previously mentioned, and they've already been drilled for bolts! :idea:

I flipped the S10 shackle, but had to trim it a bit so when the leaf flattened under load (or frost heave- you should see these roads!) it wouldn't hit the mounting area, then welded them together outside/inside on each side. I also welded a piece of all-thread through the middle bold area to further solidify the idea. The final product works really well. I thought about welding a piece of iron down the entire side for rigidity, but believe me... it doesn't need it!

Here's a pic of the idea:

:think:
I do have a question though: What is the length of Overlands shackle? They claim it as a 2" lift shackle right? Does that mean it's 4" longer? Thanks beforehand to anyone with an answer...

#13 ·
dualsport said:
Here's a quick idea:
I do have a question though: What is the length of Overlands shackle? They claim it as a 2" lift shackle right? Does that mean it's 4" longer? Thanks beforehand to anyone with an answer...
the OV shackles give you 6" total lift, basically 2" per hole just as the first image on this topic...

#14 ·
dualsport said:
I do have a question though: What is the length of Overlands shackle? They claim it as a 2" lift shackle right? Does that mean it's 4" longer? ...
Yes. They are 4 inches. My Overland shackles were drop shipped from this place -
http://www.airbagit.com/category-s/2152.htm
Which is actually just a few miles from me.

I don't see Astro shackles on that airbagit site, but that's where they came from.

Lump

#17 ·
This is a good idea. The rear of my Astro seems a little low, especially when I put the 14 foot aluminum boat behind it. I was thinking of either bagging it or going the air shock route, but this may be a better angle..

#20 ·
redfury said:
This is a good idea. The rear of my Astro seems a little low, especially when I put the 14 foot aluminum boat behind it. I was thinking of either bagging it or going the air shock route, but this may be a better angle..
If your van sits low at the rear then you have spring issues. Longer shackles will give you a van with the rear sitting too high to give correct steering geometry......AND you'll STILL have spring issues. First things first..........

-M!ke-

#21 ·
Extending shackles seems like a bad idea to me... extending leverage points too far. Simple blocks will do the job of lifting, and are quite secure between the axle and spring. Better springs is certainly the safest and best solution.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.