Bad Body Mount Bushings

Bad Body Mount Bushings

Postby Mmusicman [OP] » April 20th 2017, 7:26pm

Well, after some time, I think I may have FINALLY found the reason (I hope) for my unstable front end steering issues. I have had a serious issue with wandering and over-steer for about the last year or so now, and no amount of new parts has "fixed" my problem. It always feels like something in the front end is shifting from under me, mostly on left turns in my case, or on gentle turns or on the highway. The shift/over-steer sometimes feels pretty scary! I also tend to wobble down the highway if I don't hold the wheel firmly and straight.

My replacement parts so far include new coil springs (for other reasons), new ball-joints, a new upper control arm, new upper and lower control arm bushings, new idlers, and new sway bar bushings. I have new tie-rod ends that I haven't installed yet, the last thing on my list. I have done multiple alignment tweaks... and nothing has solved my issue.

I've prodded... I've pulled... I'v wiggled... I've pried... and just couldn't seem to ever find the problem. The new tie-rods were going to be my last hope.. but the old ones seem pretty solid, and like with everything else so far, I wasn't confident this would be a solution either.

Yesterday, I threw out every assumption, and simply examined everything! I looked at welds... I looked at things I normally wouldn't suspect.

I never suspected I might have an issue with the sub-frame body bushings. While they appear cracked and old... they seemed to still at least be in place... or so I thought!

This time I pried in a new place and direction and made a pretty surprising discovery! :shock:

In this case, I'm not quite sure what has failed. The front passenger side is much worse than the driver side (it moves somewhat too)... the bolt is still tight. I didn't bother checking any of the rear or center ones.. I'll just replace them all.

All my prodding and prying were always against the sub-frame... never against the body.

I have no experience with body bushings... so this will be a first for me. It looks pretty basic, but I've never actually changed one, let alone the whole set. I don't know exactly how to access the top halves.. but I'll figure it out.

Now I just have to decide if I'm going with the Dorman 924-003 rubber bushings, or the Prothane one's I've seen suggested.

I don't mind a firm solid ride, or any little extra road noise (can't hear over the V8 rumble anyway)... but I don't want any squeaking issues, and I don't want to sit any higher than stock rubber mounts. The Prothane kit looks cheaper in the long run vs the stock rubber sets.

Every story I've seen posted by folks who replace these, boast of great steering and a great ride again... we'll see. There does seem to be quite a bit of discussion on this topic, so it should not have come as any surprise to me.

With close to 300K... I guess it's finally my turn. :mrgreen:
2000 Chevy Astro LS AWD | 31" LT265/70R17 Tires | 8" LIFT | 10" TOTAL
92 Chevy Astro Shorty | V8-350
http://www.CruisinSouthFlorida.com
Original Poster [OP]
Mmusicman
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L2)
Years of Membership: Mmusicman has been a member for 3 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 3 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 3 full years
Topics: 35
Year: 2000
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: 2000 AWD 92 V8-350

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • Subframe Bushings
    by 1lowcab » February 27th 2017, 11:04pm in Stock Suspension
    16 Replies
    Last post by Wimpazz View the latest post
    March 10th 2017, 3:59am
  • Polyurethane vs Rubber Control Arm Bushings
    by Mmusicman » December 31st 2016, 7:32pm in Stock Suspension
    18 Replies
    Last post by Mmusicman View the latest post
    January 7th 2017, 3:35pm
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    May 23rd 2017, 10:02am

Re: Bad Body Mount Bushings

Postby chevymaher » April 20th 2017, 8:13pm

There is no squeaking they are a non moving part. They are not that hard to put in. PB Blast them now real good and get them soaking.

I put the vans frame not the subframe on jack stands so the front tires were slightly in the air. Then used 2 floor jacks to move the sub frame. One on the side I am not doing and one to drop the side I was doing. Loosen all of them up at once or the opposite side will hold it in place.

I used a crowbar to pry down to get the middle ones in. You will get it.

After the last wreck mine were wasted like yours.
chevymaher
Team Leader
Team Leader
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: chevymaher has been a member for 6 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 6 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 6 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 6 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 6 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 83
Alias (AKA): chevymaher
Year: 1994
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: SLE RWD Mercruiser

Postby Mmusicman [OP] » April 20th 2017, 8:33pm

* Are all 6 bolts threaded upward into the body, into some sort of nut welded in place?
* What has to be done to get to the top sides? I'm guessing the front mounts are the only ones a little harder to get to though the front grill or bumper area?

I am "MOST likely" going to go with the Poly mounts.
These are the ones I saw mentioned?
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/ptp-7-108-bl
Apparently, I will have to buy bolts separately too.
Original Poster [OP]
Mmusicman
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Years of Membership: Mmusicman has been a member for 3 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 3 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 3 full years

Postby MI_Ghost » April 20th 2017, 8:59pm

Just like the control arm bushings. Those 25 year old subframe bushing have outlasted their useful life. The rubber simply breaks down over time giving them the support characteristics of a marshmallow.

For what you use the van for I would not think that the poly bushings would be necessary but if they are cheaper than rubber consider it a bonus. The squeak problem is directly related to the fact that you need to apply a silicone grease to the bushing to allow it to slip around as it flexes. The amount of grease that is supplied it the kits is seldom enough to provide proper coverage and eliminate dry spots which cause the squeaks. Plan on an extra tube for every 2 bushings above what is supplied with the kit. I also coat the metal pieces which contact the bushing just to give an extra measure of coverage.

Replacement is a simple matter of removing the bolts from one side of the subframe. Jacking the body up by the frame rail (that long rectangular tube that runs the length of the body). Once the old bushings are removed and new installed and everything is bolted back together do the same for the other side. Double check the torque when both sides are complete and the front is supported by the subframe again. This should be an easy 3-4 hr driveway project.

Just for piece of mind replace the bolts also. They have been torqued and stressed for 25 years. Say thank you and deposit them in the scrap bin.

While you are at it. Head back to the rear and get rid of those plastic noodles you have holding the axle under the van. I noticed in one pic you posted of the tires that they are starting to splinter. This is just the start of the quick demise of those leafs. Cracks on the outside are multiple times worse on the inside. Upgrade to the steel leafs and good bushings to give yourself better control of the extra power you have. You can use the hangers and shackles from the JOR or OLV lift kits. The top hole is stock height and they eliminate the rubber bushings in the hanger mount.

If you have not already done so already. Adding a rear sway bar will help take the wiggle out of the back end. While it is enjoyable to watch walking away. It is not something you want in the van. Especially with that V8 under the doghouse.

I have no problem spending other peoples money. So feel free to ask for more ideas if you have any extra.
Last edited by MI_Ghost on April 20th 2017, 11:08pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Ghost
Ast' Cargo: 2001 Astro Cargo
MI_Ghost
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: MI_Ghost has been a member for 1 full year
Topics: 2
Alias (AKA): Ghost
Year: 2001
Extra Info: Big White RWD Box

Postby chevymaher » April 20th 2017, 10:38pm

Mmusicman wrote:* Are all 6 bolts threaded upward into the body, into some sort of nut welded in place?
* What has to be done to get to the top sides? I'm guessing the front mounts are the only ones a little harder to get to though the front grill or bumper area?

The nuts or threaded portions of the program. They are permanent part of the van. You don't have to get to them. Only the bolts that screw into them.
chevymaher
Team Leader
Team Leader
Years of Membership: chevymaher has been a member for 6 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 6 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 6 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 6 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 6 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 83
Alias (AKA): chevymaher
Year: 1994
Extra Info: SLE RWD Mercruiser

Postby 1lowcab » April 20th 2017, 11:39pm

Thats how I found mine were bad, with a pry bar. Mine also had a crunching sound on the front.
Its weird as my front passenger side was also the worst one.

Super easy to change, it took me about 4 hours because one of the captured nuts was spinnig and I had to cut an access hole.

Heres some pics of mine
http://www.astrosafari.com/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=113002

It will feel like a new one when your done, I went with the rubber ones as I didn't want the extra noise to be transmitted to the cabin.

The only thing you have to do with with the dorman replacements is open up the hole in the 2 metal cups for the center positions, easy peasy!
2003 Astro AWD, G80, 3" Lift, Hankook Dynapro ATM All Terrains
1lowcab
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: 1lowcab has been a member for 1 full year
Topics: 27
Year: 2003
Extra Info: AWD G80 3 Inch Lift

Postby Mmusicman [OP] » April 21st 2017, 1:58am

Well, I did a little more inspection this evening... and found the front passenger side was the ONLY bushing that was really bad. The rubber was practically disintegrated.. particularly the inside of the upper half. There wasn't much there, and some of it crumbled out. The rest of the bushings were all pretty solid and much better... but I will replace them all anyway.

I suspect the passenger side may disintegrate due to possible contamination from coolant overflow, or simply spilling out when the cap is opened... and absorbing into the bushing over the years. It's just a guess.

All the bolts came out easily... and still looked clean like new. No rust on them whatsoever.

While underneath.. I was able to "temporarily flip" the bottom metal cap on the bad bushing... allowing me to snug up the bushing tightly against the body, without bottoming out the cap. There is no longer any up and down movement whatsoever.. but again this "fix" is very temporary, and better than it flopping around loose. The defective upper half of the bushing also lost it's ability to stay centered in it's captive hole.. so again it will temporarily rely on simply being tight against the body frame for now to hold it in place, until the new ones arrive. I'm still contemplating poly vs rubber.

If this fixes my steering issues, I will still be a little pleasantly surprised.
The fact that the forward portion of the arm on the sub-frame could flex loosely might be reason enough.
Again... we'll see...
Original Poster [OP]
Mmusicman
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement

Postby WoodButcher » April 21st 2017, 4:09am

Glad that you found no rust. I know your in Fla. but so is the ocean. When I bought the '93 I crawled under and found nothing, pulled the subframe for the swap and found a nightmare. Both front mounts were rusted and needed a good bit of work.
For what it's worth I like the prothane, living on a dirt road the bride isn't fond of the jarring ride but it's only a 1/4 mile to a reasonable surface.
WoodButcher
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L5)
Years of Membership: WoodButcher has been a member for 6 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 6 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 6 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 6 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 6 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 28
Alias (AKA): Bruce
Year: 1997
Extra Info: 4.3 RWD

Postby Mmusicman [OP] » April 21st 2017, 1:50pm

MI_Ghost wrote:While you are at it. Head back to the rear and get rid of those plastic noodles you have holding the axle under the van. I noticed in one pic you posted of the tires that they are starting to splinter. This is just the start of the quick demise of those leafs. Cracks on the outside are multiple times worse on the inside. Upgrade to the steel leafs and good bushings to give yourself better control of the extra power you have. You can use the hangers and shackles from the JOR or OLV lift kits. The top hole is stock height and they eliminate the rubber bushings in the hanger mount.

Yes... good advice (and good observation too). I have been giving this some considerable thought for some time now. My stock springs are actually arching backwards now.. and I have a lift shackle in place just to compensate for sagging and leaning. I'm on top hole on one side, middle hole on the other just to be level. I do carry an offset load, and the stock springs do concern me.

If you have not already done so already. Adding a rear sway bar will help take the wiggle out of the back end. While it is enjoyable to watch walking away. It is not something you want in the van. Especially with that V8 under the doghouse.

Yes... also on the wish list.

I have no problem spending other peoples money. So feel free to ask for more ideas if you have any extra.

You are doing a GREAT job at it! lol
Original Poster [OP]
Mmusicman
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement

Postby MI_Ghost » April 21st 2017, 7:54pm

Mmusicman wrote:My stock springs are actually arching backwards now.. and I have a lift shackle in place just to compensate for sagging and leaning. I'm on top hole on one side, middle hole on the other just to be level. I do carry an offset load, and the stock springs do concern me.

Mm, I have always considered you reasonable in your views but what you describe of those rear springs make it a far more dangerous situation than the subframe bushings. If those springs are arching backwards it is only a matter of a sharp bump or quick takeoff for them to break completely. The internal structure of the spring is completely compromised. The spring clamps are probably the only thing holding those springs together.

The subframe bushings are an inconvenience but those springs are a safety issue.
I strongly urge you to focus on those springs first and not drive the van until you do.
~Ghost
MI_Ghost

Postby Mmusicman [OP] » April 21st 2017, 8:53pm

MI_Ghost wrote:The subframe bushings are an inconvenience but those springs are a safety issue.
I strongly urge you to focus on those springs first and not drive the van until you do.

I appreciate the strong advice and words of wisdom.
Again for me, uncharted territory.
I noticed it might be an issue only earlier this week.
My concern is that I do not want to raise the vehicle (with replacements).. but firm (as an option) is fine with me.
I will do some research and look into my options regarding the rear springs...
Advice is always welcomed and appreciated.
Thanks
Original Poster [OP]
Mmusicman
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement

Postby MI_Ghost » April 22nd 2017, 1:19am

Mmusicman wrote:Advice is always welcomed and appreciated.
Thanks

Well, You asked for it this time! :lol:
Starting with the requirements of load capacity and ride height here are some of the possibilities.
Note: This all assumes using stock spec steel leaf springs

The front hangers are going to need to be changed because of the mounting style of the glass leaves compared to the steel leaves.

You can go with stock replacements from a 95-05 from a U-pull yard
HANGER. Auxiliary Spring
Part Number: 15732089

Aftermarket from Journeys Off Road or Overland Vans.
The aftermarket parts have the added benefit of not using the rubber cushioned mounting points of the stock hangers. One less point of flex in the system.
http://journeysoffroad.com/astrosafari- ... ories.html
http://www.overlandvans.com/0104_suspension.html

Or they are included in the DJM 3.5" drop flip kit.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/djm- ... odel/astro

Belltech also makes flip kits but does not included the front hanger and has a non-adjustable rear shackle.
2.5": https://www.summitracing.com/parts/bel- ... odel/astro
3.5": https://www.summitracing.com/parts/bel- ... odel/astro
The belltech kits are designed for vans that are already equipped with steel leaf springs.

Note: The flip Kits eliminate the clam shell spring clamp and convert to the u-bolt and plate style mounting. Frame interference will not be a factor as the u-bolts in the flip kit will be pointed downward with the nuts under the axle.

You can find stock steel leaf springs through
SD Truck springs: http://www.sdtrucksprings.com/leaf-spri ... /astro-van
General Spring: https://www.generalspringkc.com/Leaf_Sp ... s/1851.htm
or your local spring shop.

Alternative options:
Belltech also offers a 3" drop leaf spring.
http://www.belltech.com/products/bellte ... -5958.html
No specs available on the capacity of these drop springs and they retain the clam shell spring clamp mounting. You would still need to change the front hanger and locate the narrower steel leaf clam shells.

Edit:
Another source for drop leafs was provided in another post. Added for addition information.
Western Chassis.
https://westernchassisinc.com/Leaf-Spri ... ro-Safari/
Western offers both 2" & 3" drop leaf springs.

A quick note on the clam shells.
There are 3 different clam shells that have been used.
The 3" wide fiberglass leaf.
The 2.5" wide stock 3+1 steel leaf.
The slightly taller 2.5" wide 4+1 heavy duty steel leaf.

Brew your own drop.
Chassis Tech offers the Drop Axle Relocator kit.
http://www.streetpros.com/product_info/ ... _id/38728/
Which you can use to mix & match your chosen combination of hangers, shackles, and springs.

Your desire to not increase the ride height is the driving factor behind the rear drop. The sagged condition of your springs would be similar to the drop. To make it easy I would suggest the DJM flip kit with stock replacement springs. This should fill both the ride height and capacity goals.
Last edited by MI_Ghost on April 22nd 2017, 8:48pm, edited 2 times in total.
~Ghost
MI_Ghost

Postby WoodButcher » April 22nd 2017, 5:16am

Good info and links there Ghost, I copied your post and filed it for reference as my '93 will need the same at some point.
WoodButcher
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Years of Membership: WoodButcher has been a member for 6 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 6 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 6 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 6 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 6 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 6 full years

Postby MI_Ghost » April 22nd 2017, 7:22am

WoodButcher wrote:Good info and links there Ghost, I copied your post and filed it for reference as my '93 will need the same at some point.

Thanks WB!

That is about a year worth of rummaging through all the various topics and builds researching a plan for my van. After all of that research I came up with something totally different and will be taking the brew your own approach.

Keep a close eye on those plastic noodles!
~Ghost
MI_Ghost

Postby WoodButcher » April 22nd 2017, 2:19pm

I would use parts from that post to make a "homebrew".
Another option that has always made my mouth water, tubs, narrowed with a four link. A lot of work but I really want it...
WoodButcher
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement

Postby Mmusicman [OP] » April 22nd 2017, 4:07pm

WoodButcher wrote:Another option that has always made my mouth water, tubs, narrowed with a four link. A lot of work but I really want it...

Damn WoodButcher... you and I "suffer" from the SAME disorder!!! LOL!!! :mrgreen:
@MI_Ghost: Fantastic information.. nice compilation!!! Thanks!!!

PS: Side note: Tightening up my loose front bushing did NOTHING for my front end "wobble" and left-turn over-steer issue... apparently I haven't found the actual problem yet! The "quest" continues...
Original Poster [OP]
Mmusicman
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement

Postby MI_Ghost » April 23rd 2017, 12:23am

Mmusicman wrote:
WoodButcher wrote:Another option that has always made my mouth water, tubs, narrowed with a four link. A lot of work but I really want it...

Damn WoodButcher... you and I "suffer" from the SAME disorder!!! LOL!!! :mrgreen:
@MI_Ghost: Fantastic information.. nice compilation!!! Thanks!!!

PS: Side note: Tightening up my loose front bushing did NOTHING for my front end "wobble" and left-turn over-steer issue... apparently I haven't found the actual problem yet! The "quest" continues...

Your Welcome Mm!

I think that you will find that those worn/damaged plastic noodles are going to play a big factor in the cause of your problem.

Skipping the the theory lesson for now.
~Ghost
MI_Ghost

Postby markmitch » April 23rd 2017, 2:31am

the shackles you speak of using may cause the over/under steer you speak of when you use a shackle on the bad springs it can cause more play up front. The shackles are illegal to use in some states just for this reason. (they consider them to be easily misused on warn parts on Maine)
markmitch
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L4)
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L4)
Years of Membership: markmitch has been a member for 9 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 9 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 9 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 9 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 9 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 9 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 9 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 9 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 9 full years
Topics: 440
Alias (AKA): Astro gearhead
Year: 1989
Extra Info: RS 350 TBI

Postby WoodButcher » April 23rd 2017, 4:55am

"Brothers from another mother!" LOL.
In actuality what I'll probably do I have a gen II 3:73 rear to rebuild w/ an Eaton and 11" drums. Randy likes his tru-trac he put in 3 years ago and I know he isn't nice to it, and add slappers to the steel springs.
At some point it may get paint and look nice but that's a long way off.
WoodButcher
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement