Leaf spring mount

Leaf spring mount

Postby smokinjoe [OP] » October 17th 2011, 10:13pm

The front bracket for my leaf springs has a crack in it. Does anyone have a suggestion where to find a replacement? Are there parts fiches available online like there are for motorcycles or should I find it at a junkyard?
Original Poster [OP]
smokinjoe
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: smokinjoe has been a member for 6 full yearssmokinjoe has been a member for 6 full yearssmokinjoe has been a member for 6 full yearssmokinjoe has been a member for 6 full yearssmokinjoe has been a member for 6 full yearssmokinjoe has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 105
Alias (AKA): smokinjoe
Year: 1995
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: RWD

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author

Re: Leaf spring mount

Postby RECox286 » October 18th 2011, 1:17am

The front anchor can be scrounged from a JY, or you might find it at ChevyPartsOnLine.com. Get one for both sides, more likely than not you will need it. Also, take a look at the anchor plate

that attaches the spring to the axle. If the front anchor is bad, the center anchor plate probably is ready for repair or replacement. Let us know what you find.

Bob
Start a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm the rest of his life.

Sent using two Progresso soup cans and a string
RECox286
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L4)
Years of Membership: RECox286 has been a member for 4 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 4 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 4 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 31
Alias (AKA): Uncle Bob
Year: 1993
Extra Info: RWD V6 [325K mi]

Postby Lumpy » October 18th 2011, 1:42am

The "Front Bracket" -
Do you mean the hanger with the triangle side plates that the spring eye bolts in to?

If so, here they are at GMPartsEast for 74 bucks each -

http://www.gmpartseast.com/Page_Product ... &Year=2000

Courtesy Chevrolet for 82 bucks each -

https://www.partswebsite.com/gmnationpa ... type=parts

GMPartsDirect for 65 bucks each (URL may not resolve correctly) -

http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/catalog/frameset.cfm

ShopGMParts for 72 bucks each -

http://www.shopgmparts.com/partlocator/ ... atalogid=0

NalleyGMC for 107 bucks ea -

http://parts.nalleygmc.com/showAssembly ... bly=434467

As I hunt for dealer parts, I find the prices all over the map. Every time I find a dealer online,
I save the URL and then when I'm hunting parts, I open several browser windows and search for
the part at each place.

At my local junkyard, I paid 150 for the pair of leaf springs, with front hangers, anchor plates, bolts,
the whole hardware package, except for rear shackles.

Lumpy
Lumpy
250k+ Miles
250k+ Miles
Orange Status (L5)
Orange Status (L5)
Years of Membership: Lumpy has been a member for 4 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 4 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 4 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 139
Year: 1989
Extra Info: 9 in. lift Camo

Postby smokinjoe [OP] » October 19th 2011, 3:04am

So I saw a 98 at the yard but the mouning of the leaves was totally different. I cant even find the piece that is cracked on the sites listed. It looks like the cover that goes over where the front of the leaf mounts to the body.

They had the part that mounts the spring to the axle but those look fine on my van.

Any idea as to what I need or why the 98 looked like totally diff mounting?
Original Poster [OP]
smokinjoe
Years of Membership: smokinjoe has been a member for 6 full yearssmokinjoe has been a member for 6 full yearssmokinjoe has been a member for 6 full yearssmokinjoe has been a member for 6 full yearssmokinjoe has been a member for 6 full yearssmokinjoe has been a member for 6 full years

Postby RECox286 » October 19th 2011, 4:17am

Ask Phantom. He is an encyclopedia of car facts. I only have Gen 1 experience as far as suspension goes. Sorry.

Don't know where he is tonight...

Bob

RECox286
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Years of Membership: RECox286 has been a member for 4 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 4 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 4 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 4 full years

Postby Jasen » October 19th 2011, 4:18am

The pics Lumpy posted are for 89 I've never looked at mine but they could be different for the GenII's
I'm a Journeyman woodworker,
Every projects a journey man.

Ultra gauge

Being a mad scientist IS NOT as easy as it look's on TV

Jasen
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: Jasen has been a member for 5 full yearsJasen has been a member for 5 full yearsJasen has been a member for 5 full yearsJasen has been a member for 5 full yearsJasen has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 261
Year: 1997
Extra Info: AWD cargo Dutch door

Postby Lumpy » October 19th 2011, 7:00am

Actually the pics I posted are for GenIIs, not for my 89.

That part at least, if that's the one that's cracked, IS the same from the 95 changeover
till the death of Astrofaris. All steel springs mounded the same way on the front end.

JoeSmoker - Here's a drawing of the 98 Astro rear axle and leaf.
Is the broken part here -

Lump
Lumpy
250k+ Miles
250k+ Miles
Orange Status (L5)
Orange Status (L5)
Years of Membership: Lumpy has been a member for 4 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 4 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 4 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 4 full years

Postby smokinjoe [OP] » October 19th 2011, 4:06pm

Right so I see that schematic but mind has a wierd looking front mount. I am thinking of just getting the springs off the 98 and replacing the whole thing. According to this video it should work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLdi64WOA6Q

I am believing that they are all interchangeable but cant get proof yet. Hopefully Phantom or Chevymaher will swoop in & tell me since I dont dig that cracked shackle cover (which doesnt appear in that diagram somehow)

OH YEAH,,, at about 2:49 of the video you can clearly see the part on mine that is cracked, its the steel that goes over the front of the leaf where it bolts to the mount (when it falls on the floor)
Original Poster [OP]
smokinjoe

Postby icebrrg3rd » October 19th 2011, 4:17pm

Smokinjoe has a '95, isn't that the bast....umm, odd year that is a mixed breed of parts? Joe, are your springs steel (3 or 4 leaf) or a single leaf, meaning fiberglass and a special front mount?

Not the best angle, but does it look like this?
LeafClamSmall.jpg
LeafClamSmall.jpg (126.29 KiB) Viewed 4678 times

If so, you have the fiberglass leaf springs.

-Andrew
81 Yamaha Maxim 650XJ 650cc, 67k mi. Green Beast
83 Yamaha Venture 1300cc, 78k mi. Great White
91 Chevy Astro Conversion 5.7L 5-speed, 243k mi. Rustic Red
00 Dodge Grand Caravan 3.8L, 184k mi. Baby Blue
icebrrg3rd
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L2)
Years of Membership: icebrrg3rd has been a member for 4 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 4 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 4 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 38
Alias (AKA): Andrew
Year: 1991
Extra Info: RWD Shorty Conv

Postby chevymaherchevymaher is online! » October 19th 2011, 4:30pm

I watched the video.That works on mine.90 and 94 same set up.(had a 90).A picture of what you got now would help.To see your odd clamp.I looked up the 98 set-up it seems to have the frame mounts Iceberg was mentioning.Front bolt hole spacing same?Axle tube diameter same?Rear mount swings so it only got to be in the ballpark lengthwise.If these answers yes I see it working.Pics please of what you got.EDIT I just looked at mine they the same as Andrews
chevymaherchevymaher is online!
Team Leader
Team Leader
Years of Membership: chevymaher has been a member for 3 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 3 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 3 full years
Topics: 58
Alias (AKA): chevymaher
Year: 1994
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: SLE RWD cam ported

Postby icebrrg3rd » October 19th 2011, 4:37pm

So Joe, is the cracked part on your van (a '95) or on the junkyard one (a '98)?

-Andrew
81 Yamaha Maxim 650XJ 650cc, 67k mi. Green Beast
83 Yamaha Venture 1300cc, 78k mi. Great White
91 Chevy Astro Conversion 5.7L 5-speed, 243k mi. Rustic Red
00 Dodge Grand Caravan 3.8L, 184k mi. Baby Blue
icebrrg3rd
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Years of Membership: icebrrg3rd has been a member for 4 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 4 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 4 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 38
Alias (AKA): Andrew
Year: 1991
Extra Info: RWD Shorty Conv

Postby Phantom » October 19th 2011, 5:16pm

The 95 had a late year 2nd design that has the rear steel springs

There were 2 option in that ,,
GM part #15732089 available HANGER RR SPR FRT,(M/L VANS HAVE STEEL REAR SPRINGS),(2ND DES)
this is the part that is also used in the Gen 2 vans

the other steel option for 95 is not available so no point in posting the part number that had been discontinued

It would seem that is would be fine to swap out the entire rear spring setup off a 98 and put it on your 95

If you have the steel springs on your 95 you can probably use this part for your van , I have not actually seen the part that has been discontinued

Do you have the fiberglass springs or the steel springs on your 95 , if you have the fiberglass you'll need to use the bracket for fiberglass
There are 2 part numbers for it as well
Phantom
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L4)
Years of Membership: Phantom has been a member for 4 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 4 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 4 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 15

Postby smokinjoe [OP] » October 19th 2011, 7:03pm

OK so I have fiberglass springs with the exact mount in icebergs picture. The steel piece covering the mount is cracked. I would like to replace just that (I think) but am confused whether steel 2nd gen springs will bolt right up.

They must since the guy in the video did it with little problem.
Original Poster [OP]
smokinjoe

Postby chevymaherchevymaher is online! » October 19th 2011, 7:58pm

They will fit then.I rewatched video the 99 springs fit my van to which is also a handy tip to know.
chevymaherchevymaher is online!
Team Leader
Team Leader
Years of Membership: chevymaher has been a member for 3 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 3 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 3 full years
Topics: 58
Alias (AKA): chevymaher
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: SLE RWD cam ported

Postby Jasen » October 19th 2011, 8:38pm

Check out Lumpy's thread, you might find your answer there

http://www.astrosafari.com/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=12783
I'm a Journeyman woodworker,
Every projects a journey man.

Ultra gauge

Being a mad scientist IS NOT as easy as it look's on TV

Jasen
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Years of Membership: Jasen has been a member for 5 full yearsJasen has been a member for 5 full yearsJasen has been a member for 5 full yearsJasen has been a member for 5 full yearsJasen has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 261
Year: 1997
Extra Info: AWD cargo Dutch door

Postby RECox286 » October 19th 2011, 9:15pm

The picture a few posts up is what I am familiar with, since I have several 93's with fiberglass springs. What you can do, if you are crafty, and the crack is not too big, and the plate is not completely rusted thru, is to

weld, or have it welded shut. I would suggest drilling some holes at the end of the crack. (called stop drilling, it relieves the stress and stops the crack from spreading. Too bad they haven't

perfected the technique to work on windscreens. Ha) Any how, get it welded and have them reinforce the work piece. Shouldn't cost an arm and a leg. Or, get newer out of JY. IMHO, no big deal.

Bob

RECox286
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces

Postby Lumpy » October 19th 2011, 11:30pm

OK. Roger that, you've got glass springs.

Do the steel springs "bolt right up" if you get the new hangers?

Well.....Not exactly. There's several parts you have to find, modify, fabricate.
As Jasen suggests, go have a look at the leaf spring thread at
viewtopic.php?f=40&t=12783

Here's a pic of your leaf and it's related parts -

Here they're available from GM. Not too expensive.
On this page you likely want items #16 and 17.
Note the labels at the Nalley GM site are NOT the same numbers as on the drawing above.
http://parts.nalleygmc.com/showAssembly ... bly=434509

Lumpy
Lumpy
250k+ Miles
250k+ Miles
Orange Status (L5)
Orange Status (L5)

Postby Phantom » October 20th 2011, 3:37pm

If you want to change to steel springs I found some Xtra Heavy Duty that can support
2,550 lbs and designed for Astro

http://www.autoandtrucksprings.com/prod ... 674-0.html

Description
2-1/2(W)X26(S.E.)X28(L.E.) 4/1 Lvs 4/.401 1/.590 2,550 Lbs Capacity. Front and Rear Bushings INCLUDED, Uses 9/16" Bolt Front and Rear.

http://www.autoandtrucksprings.com/inde ... iew=Thumb1
Phantom
Years of Membership: Phantom has been a member for 4 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 4 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 4 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 15

Postby JohnnyC16117 » June 15th 2012, 7:20pm

Does anyone know if these after market kits include the " clamshell hanger assembly " or if the front hanger assembly for the composite mono spring itself is sold after-market? I have tried to locate one to replace the broken hanger for the front of the spring on my 1994 with no luck. No yards had any that were not shot and the part is a GM discontinued part. I really do not want to go through the whole swap process to steel springs to fix a single hanger. I checked out the site that lumpy posted but cant find the parts on there. On the diagram he posted I as well need parts 16 - 17 plus 18 , but on the site they are labeled different :? I'm lost, lol. My van is in the collision shop and we need to replace this " front of rear composite mono spring hanger assembly " before he can go any further with the work, but finding the parts is proving to be a job of its own :cry:
JohnnyC16117
Fueling (3/8 tank)
Fueling (3/8 tank)
Years of Membership: JohnnyC16117 has been a member for 2 full yearsJohnnyC16117 has been a member for 2 full years
Topics: 7
Alias (AKA): Johnny C
Extra Info: CS 4.3L V6 AWD W-Vin

Postby Lumpy » June 16th 2012, 8:51pm

I have nothing overly encouraging to offer re replacement front clamshells for glass springs. Repair the old ones or find used replacements at a junk yard seems the only options at all.

$100-200 will get you a new set of steel leaves and their front hangers. Then you'll need to find, fabricate, modify the axle mounting hardware to deal with the steel leaves. That's perhaps another hundred bucks.

IF you can find some AstroFaris at a U-pullit, the front clams aren't difficult to remove.

I would highly recommend NOT replacing just one hanger. Replace/repair both. Expect the rubber bushings at the spring ends to be buggered up. The clam was a poor design, I think. It held water, dirt, grit in the cup of the bottom clam shell. That's just asking for trouble as it wears, rusts etc.

Best route would be to replace it all with steel leaves. But you have to drop a couple Franklins to do that. The simpler option, however, may simply NOT be an option if you can't find or fabricate the parts.

Part of the fun of driving a 20 year old, discontinued van.

Lumpy

You were the "OPERATION" game voice?
Yes. Take out wrenched ankle.

www.LumpyMusic.com
Lumpy
250k+ Miles
250k+ Miles
Orange Status (L5)
Orange Status (L5)