Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

Torsion bar relaxing?

3K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  AstroWill 
#1 ·
I installed a new torsion bar on the right side. But after a few weeks it seems like that side sags a little, about 1/2" at the wheel wells. My question is, do new torsion bars relax or something as it settles in?

#3 ·
Ok. So I've adjusted it 2 times and each time after a few days it relaxed back down. Now it is maxed out but the left side that still has the older torsion bar has room to be cranked more. I don't understand how the new torsion bar can be "softer" or "weaker" than the old one. Any advice on what to check? Is it common to get a bad one from the parts store or something?

#4 ·
starving030 said:
Ok. So I've adjusted it 2 times and each time after a few days it relaxed back down. Now it is maxed out but the left side that still has the older torsion bar has room to be cranked more. I don't understand how the new torsion bar can be "softer" or "weaker" than the old one. Any advice on what to check? Is it common to get a bad one from the parts store or something?
Sounds like the rear spring on the new bars side is weak also. So it is trying to hold that entire side up. Jack the rear side that is sagging and see what the front does. if it comes way up you found the issue.

#5 ·
chevymaher said:
Sounds like the rear spring on the new bars side is weak also. So it is trying to hold that entire side up. Jack the rear side that is sagging and see what the front does. if it comes way up you found the issue.
When I have a trailer or any weight on the back it levels out more, so I'm not sure if it's the back springs but I'll give it a shot. I'm desperate to figure this out.lol The rear springs are brand new. Believe it or not the front left is the only old spring on it.

Thanks

#6 ·
It's been awhile and I'm still trying to figure this thing out. I jacked the rear up at the hitch and the front didn't level out or change much. In fact, the front right when down about a 1/4" more compared to the left. I'm going to try replacing the torsion bar again to see if I got a bad one. I am also going to replace the rear spring as well. Anyone know a good source for leaf springs and/or a torsion bar? What kind I should get? I have the +4" HD Spring Pack from overland but they are bit expensive to but again.

#9 ·
Well I took the torsion bar out and rotated it once and it seemed to sit a little higher. So I took it back out and rotated it a second time and it sat a even higher. The third time it went down again. So I rotated it back to where it sat the highest.

I'm guessing that there is a certain way to install these things? The only markings on it are at the rear end there is a white paint marker symbol that looks like a long letter F.

As of right now it seems to be sitting almost perfectly level. I just hope it lasts and doesn't start to sag again.

#10 ·
starving030 said:
Well I took the torsion bar out and rotated it once and it seemed to sit a little higher. So I took it back out and rotated it a second time and it sat a even higher. The third time it went down again. So I rotated it back to where it sat the highest.

I'm guessing that there is a certain way to install these things? The only markings on it are at the rear end there is a white paint marker symbol that looks like a long letter F.

As of right now it seems to be sitting almost perfectly level. I just hope it lasts and doesn't start to sag again.
That sounds strange. I do believe these bars have a front and rear orientation like they do on my full-size truck. I am not aware of the hex clocking end to end making a difference in adjustment. Seems illogical that it could.

Did you "jounce" the suspension a few times before measuring?

#11 ·
I do think jouncing it is good advice and could make a bigger difference then you think if you don't.

That doesn't sound right at all. And im not sure how explain how it could. A spring is a spring and its lift is specific, unless you have a progressive spring, which im pretty sure torsion bars are unable to do.

But hey, if you found something that fixes your problem them go with it.

#12 ·
I'm not sure what jouncing is but I did move it out of the front driveway around around to the side yard. About 50 yards away.

The reason I tried it was an old mechanic friend said that the torsion bars have some type of very slight cure to them. Something to do with how they are heat treated something or other and they respond different depending on the angle of the pressure put on them. Only time will tell if this works.

Also, I did notice while i was under the van that the r-rear leaf spring might have cracked because it was carrying all the weight for so long. The van suddenly started leaning really bad about a week ago after I hauled a couple trailers full of gravel. Now the spring is shaped like a recurve bow instead of a nice arch.

I'm starting to regret this lift idea.... eh not really.lol

#13 ·
Sounds like you need to address the rear issue before messing around with the front.

Jounce means to cycle the suspension...like by hopping up and down on the bumper etc. Moving from one place to another will cycle the suspension but you pretty much lose your control factor of having it on top of the same measuring plane. The pressure on each of the 4 corners (wheels) depends on how level the van sits. Best not to move it, just flex the suspension and remeasure several times and take an average of the results.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.