Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

Creaking noise

2K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Phantom 
#1 ·
1996 Astro
55K original miles

When the vehicle is cold and i proceed forward or back i hear a loud creaking sound, it's not a squeal, but a creaking sound. It is also there when I turn the steering wheel back and forth. I checked and filled the power steering fluid. Trying to determine if it's a bad belt or something else. Thanks

#4 ·
I have a similar issue..or it could very well be the same thing and I was hoping that someone could shed some insight on it.

Sometimes when I am driving through parking lots with speed bumps or on any severely uneven surface, I get a loud creaking noise which goes ERRRRK-ERRR-ERRRK-ERRR-ERRRK-ERRR...as the van wags from left to right. So today, I pinpointed the noise and discovered that it's coming from the right front wheel. If I shake the side of the van, the noise corresponds to the up and down movement. What could this be? What can I do about it? And should I be concerned?

#5 ·
It could be the control arm bushings telling you something. After doing mine, I swore I would never do them again. What a P....

Scurry under the truck, and put your hand on the bushing, while a buddy "rocks the boat". If it's creaking, you will be able to feel it.

Bob

#6 ·
Just so I understand clearly.. because I am a steering and suspension wuss.. Is the control arm that big A-frame thing that bolts between the bottom of the subframe and the bottom of the spindle? And is it that thing that's held on by the big gigantic nut that you see every time you view the front of the van from a distance?

I imagine that it's a pretty tough nut to crack if it was anything like pulling a pair of struts for my MPV.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.