engine swap laws in California???

engine swap laws in California???

Postby markmitch [OP] » December 17th 2016, 7:03pm

OK so I found a bunch of info on what is legal and what is not on the various California websites and yet there is very little about the air intake rules, it says the smog equipment must be what came on the engine that was swapped into the vehicle. But the air cleaner assembly is way to big to fit in the Astro. Now the Astro air cleaner will fit but is it legal to use on the truck engine? Also my van is an 89 and the engine is a 92.
Original Poster [OP]
markmitch
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L4)
Years of Membership: markmitch has been a member for 9 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 9 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 9 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 9 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 9 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 9 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 9 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 9 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 9 full years
Topics: 433
Alias (AKA): Mitch
Year: 1989
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: RS 350 TBI

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • LS series engine swap web site.
    by markmitch » January 30th 2017, 2:16am in V8 Swap
    3 Replies
    Last post by zach914v8zach914v8 is online! View the latest post
    January 30th 2017, 9:21pm
  • 67 327 Swap? in a 92?
    by Jonnyimpala » March 21st 2017, 1:10am in V8 Swap
    6 Replies
    Last post by Jonnyimpala View the latest post
    Today, 8:17am
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    March 24th 2017, 6:47pm

Re: engine swap laws in California???

Postby 97cargocrawler97cargocrawler is online! » December 19th 2016, 9:28am

If the vehicle has and engine that isn't stock you need to see a smog referee and get it approved. If it passes the ref then it's fine. You cannot just go willy nilly swappin stuff.
97cargocrawler97cargocrawler is online!
Orange Status (L5)
Orange Status (L5)
Years of Membership: 97cargocrawler has been a member for 5 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 5 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 5 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 5 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 42
Alias (AKA): CC, CARGO, CRAWLER, ASSHOLE
Year: 1997
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: 4.3L V6 RWD

Postby markmitch [OP] » December 20th 2016, 8:20pm

I know that I checked all the sites and everything I have done is legal after the ref station but they do not list what can or can not be used for the air cleaner. The trucks air cleaner is much bigger and it will not fit. Thats what I wanted info on if anyone here has done the V8 into the Astro swap on a first gen van. But I appreciate your input.
Original Poster [OP]
markmitch
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer
Years of Membership: markmitch has been a member for 9 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 9 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 9 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 9 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 9 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 9 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 9 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 9 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 9 full years

Postby 97cargocrawler97cargocrawler is online! » December 20th 2016, 8:31pm

I don't understand what your asking I guess. If the ref approved whatever you had on it for the inspection...that's it. That's what you are supposed to use. But I seriously doubt any smog tech is going to question anything else that looks like it belongs on there.

If I'm not understanding you, and you have not already seen the ref...obviously you need to use something that fits. If they don't like it be certain they will let you know.
Orange Status (L5)
Orange Status (L5)
Years of Membership: 97cargocrawler has been a member for 5 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 5 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 5 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 5 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 5 full years

Postby markmitch [OP] » December 20th 2016, 8:49pm

agreed
Original Poster [OP]
markmitch
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer

Postby Astro Pop » December 20th 2016, 9:23pm

There is and has always been some disagreement between BAR and the referee about the air cleaner assy. That's why there is no clear statement about it. The referee is a contractor that kinda works independent of BAR. Actually the BAR wants to allow modifications before the TBI/carb, but the referee says everything has to be stock to the engine according to their reading of the regulations. The only thing to do at this point is simply get to a referee and see what he says. If you disagree contact the BAR office they might be able to assist, depending on the attitude of the supervisor and the referee. Politics, why does everything come down to politics???
All that said, if you could get the v8 filter in there for the inspection...somehow. Then you could go back to the air filter of choice for everyday driving. Even if you show up with the doghouse off, which can be justified since they need it off for a full inspection anyway...just thinkin out loud here. Nothing illegal about that.
Failing all that then check with the referee, maybe a phone call before the visit, and discuss possibly using a filter from a later v8 vehicle that will fit.
Astro Pop
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: Astro Pop has been a member for 5 full yearsAstro Pop has been a member for 5 full yearsAstro Pop has been a member for 5 full yearsAstro Pop has been a member for 5 full yearsAstro Pop has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 23
Alias (AKA): Xfirepop
Year: 1996
Extra Info: AWD - 3 inch lift

Postby Wimpazz » December 20th 2016, 9:47pm

Many of my Jeep friends have the K&N filter on a stick, which gets kicked out by the smog guys pretty regularly. My smog friend says he gets used to whats supposed to be there, but as long as it looks like its fits and there aren't any 'cheats' in there, he doesn't give it consideration. He is however always looking for filter on a stick.
:2:
2000 AWD Safari "TK421"; (Build Here):http://www.astrosafari.com/viewtopic.php?f=127&t=103714
Wimpazz
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L3)
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L3)
Years of Membership: Wimpazz has been a member for 1 full year
Topics: 23
Alias (AKA): =Wimpy=
Year: 2000
Extra Info: AWD 3+1 Lift

Postby AstroWill » December 21st 2016, 12:10am

si.png
AstroWill
Team Leader
Team Leader
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L5)
Years of Membership: AstroWill has been a member for 8 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 8 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 8 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 8 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 8 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 8 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 8 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 8 full years
Topics: 60
Alias (AKA): Richard C., Advocatus Diaboli
Year: 2003
Extra Info: 90TigerGTv8 03AWD

Postby markmitch [OP] » December 21st 2016, 12:17am

I called and I have to call beck with the vin, the engine ID numbers and such before they can give me an answer. So I told them on the phone I will call back after the holiday. They agreed. So I will post what they tell me. Thanks for the help guys, Mark
Original Poster [OP]
markmitch
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer

Postby AstroWill » December 21st 2016, 12:32am

If you are that far along and the filter housing is the only thing you are worried about, throw the one that fits on, make an appointment and get it checked out.
AstroWill
Team Leader
Team Leader
Years of Membership: AstroWill has been a member for 8 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 8 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 8 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 8 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 8 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 8 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 8 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 8 full years
Topics: 60
Alias (AKA): Richard C., Advocatus Diaboli
Year: 2003
Extra Info: 90TigerGTv8 03AWD

Postby Lumpy » December 22nd 2016, 1:15am

California? - Tell em you're a practicing Felchulist bishop and it's your religious right to have that air cleaner. Go naked to the smog station. Tell them that's your religion too.

Cardinal Lump and the Air Flow Mass
Lumpy
250k+ Miles
250k+ Miles
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: Lumpy has been a member for 6 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 6 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 6 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 6 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 6 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 261
Extra Info: 11 in. lift Camo

Postby 97cargocrawler97cargocrawler is online! » December 22nd 2016, 2:58am

Lumpy wrote:California? - Tell em you're a practicing Felchulist bishop and it's your religious right to have that air cleaner. Go naked to the smog station. Tell them that's your religion too.

Cardinal Lump and the Air Flow Mass

Stop you're makin me horny!
Orange Status (L5)
Orange Status (L5)