Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

my new engine

5K views 26 replies 8 participants last post by  Mr_Roboto 
#1 ·
just a few pictures of the 5.7 vortec I bought used to install in my 89 Astro RS

Attachments

See less See more
#9 ·
I found out something very important about the vortec engines today. It seems that GM decided to change the coolant system with the Vortec V8. This is for 1996 and up only blocks, the water pump has to have a 5/8 inch hose attached to the top going to the top front of the intake manifold for coolant. IF YOU DO NOT HAVE THIS YOUR ENGINE WILL OVERHEAT! That means I will have to reuses the water pump the engine came with till I get the new one I just ordered.

#11 ·
All thats left is the distributor , wires, exhaust, and coolant if everything works out right should be running by end of next week. I have to go out of town for a couple days so it will wait till I'm back. I have to say if I ever do a vortec again I will use the brackets that were on it instead of making mine fit. I had to fabricate 3 brackets for stability that go from the front brackets to the intake & the throttle bracket needs to be completely replaced.

#12 ·
Today I built my exhaust system by using the Y pipe from the 93 safari with 4.3 HO engine since this Y pipe was 2.5 to a 3 inch collector I simply cut the pieces that bolt to the manifolds off and used the same pieces from the pipes I got from a local pick and pull. I cut all the pieces then bolted every thing in place under the van with a jack holding it then marked it all with my trusty sharpy then took it all apart then welded it all together with my Mig welder. Then bolted the stock (except for muffler and a pipe in place of Cat con) This is a temporary system till I get to California and find out what I have to do to make it legal there. I hope to go Y pipe to cat con then out to duals if California allows it.

#13 ·
Today I took all front brackets off the engine and cut a hole in the front lower area above the water pump. I did this because the temp sensor that sends messages to the PCM is suppose to be mounted in the area above the water pump. I looked to see if I could mount it in one of the cylinder heads and the threaded holes I found in the heads were not only bigger but very near impossible to remove the threaded plugs. So I cut a hole in the bracket and welded a piece of flat steel to reinforce it then installed the sensor and reinstalled the brackets and it is not done. Tomorrow I will hopefully finish up and start the engine.

#18 ·
hope you prime the oiling system before the initial start. if not, you may chew through 40,000 km of bearing life before you even close the hood. but you did /will right. and for the record, your pics show that you live in the same color house as me and you own a gold sebring. i'd like to talk to you about your identity, cause it seems as though you are living my life. tough break for you bud. i'm poor and not worth the time it takes to steal my life...lol. . . maybe I stole yours, who's older you or I? your the other ram air van. how are you going to connect you intake?

#20 ·
Cowboy dan, I am 49 will be 50 in august , the motor was at my neighbors house when the pics were taken the house and the sebring are both his. The air intake will be attached to the stock air cleaner with a dryer hose for now until I can make a tube that will work better and allow me to open the hood without it falling apart. I will take pics.

#25 ·
seems I either lost the middle exhaust gasket or the manifold is warped, I thing I lost the gasket. and my timing light blew the bulb so I am gonna have to buy a new one unless I can find a bulb.I did however back the van up a bit today on its own power. (just wanted to see if it would move)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.