Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

1997 GMC Safari 4.3 to 5.7

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  redfury 
#1 ·
Hello!
My name is BoB and i'm from Québec Canada( so my english waz so so) I have 1997 awd gmc safari 4.3 vortec i want swap 5.7 vortec because my 4.3 waz tired.....I read alots and alots about it and i have fews questions if you want help i will greatly appreciate it!

First... I write to PCMPERFORMANCE for my ECM convert it 5.7 ....I know i have 2 extra wire to ecm and 2 another wire for power ! I want know which pin ecm use for my 2 extra injectors and another 2 wire is ground or 12v power?

I know i need stretch h some wire (knock sensor etc etc) but i use my 4.3 vortec sensor on 5.7 ? or use 5.7 sensor maf etc?

If you have pinout and schematic just post it!!

Thank again!

Donor car is Express 5.7 99

#4 ·
a few things I know- you will need the pcm and possibly the harness and maybe even the trans from the doner, best bet get the exhaust from the doner and better if its a truck.
Some newer trucks came with a LS series engine setup and this would be harder to do but better engine but DRZ has done this swap and may be of more help. Good luck and take a lot of pictures. Mark

#5 ·
The easiest way to do it is to upgrade the PCM to the 12200411 ( or commonly referred to as the 411 PCM ) which allows for a great deal of tuning and ease of installation of the 5.7 Vortec, as well as adding control for an electric fan ( I suggest the fan from a 94 Thunderbird ). You'll have to spend a few hours repinning your new PCM harness plugs from the old ones, but if you can read a chart that shows the pin you are removing and the place to put it, you are good to go. It took me a few hours standing out in the February cold of Minnesota when I did mine. The only thing you will have to get is O2 sensors for an 01 express van. You'll either need to change the factory wiring harness plugs to match the new O2 sensors, or switch the wires from the new O2 sensors into the plug from the old ones.

http://www.pacificp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7814 You can find all the info you need about the 411 here.

#6 ·
I may still have the spreadsheet on my other computer ( from my 98, and I think 97 and 98 were very similar years ). The transmission is the stock 4L60E that came with the van, so there's really nothing to do other than cram that V8 in there and hook it up. The stock fuel pump should be able to feed it as well, though if you are getting high positive fuel trim numbers, you may need to replace it with a new pump if yours is getting worn down.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.