Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

1991 Astro conversion tpi swap

20K views 143 replies 15 participants last post by  nwmod39 
#1 ·
Hello,
I have been lurking in the forum for several years now and finally think that I am going to start gathering items for my v8 swap.

I have a 91 astro conversion.

I have owned it for 8 years and have had zero issues with it besides being underpowered.

Heres some pics.

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
'91 is a good year! That's a nice looking conversion, my bench doesn't have that third cushion. My kids love the mid-row captains that swivel in mine. Is it a Tiara?

Best thing is to get a whole donor vehicle, preferably a '91 due to the similarity in electronics and plugs. I used a '91 Silverado for my swap. Not much is needed to swap over, the TBI is fairly simple and the V-8 computer just plugs right in place of the V-6 one. A few wires needed to be extended due to the longer block, and I still have to get a van valve cover for the oil fill tube to be installed for ease in oil changes.

Oh, the only issue with a '91 V-8 is it isn't a Vortec, it has the swirl-port heads, which I hear aren't the best nor can they be cheaply modified to be made better. Oh well, maybe I'll install Vortec heads next swap I guess.

-Andrew

#7 ·
Tiara is just a van conversion company, yours was done by Quality Coaches per your door jamb label. Mine is a Tiara conversion, not sure what my original interior color was, but it sure looks pink now, kinda the same shades as your van pics look like. That's why I was wondering what conversion company your van was done by.

-Andrew

#9 ·
Also forgot to mention that I am non emissions so I have the option of going straight carb and losing all of the tbi and ecm stuff.

I really want to do Tuned port just because I have always loved the look of the tpi engines and think it would be killer in an astro conversion.

#10 ·
I am still shopping a donor engine.
I have come across a couple but nothing jumps up as a good deal.

I have purchased some items though.

JTR mounts. Extremely nice piece!

Prothane subframe bushings and
Prothane upper and lower control arm bushings.

#12 ·
Nice toy. Drop that 550hp engine in your van, think it might pep it up a little. BTW I see it has "pink" on it too just like your van...

-Andrew

#13 ·
Oh believe me, I have thought about the race engine in the astro but then I do not get to race!

I bought more parts today.
New upper and lower balljoints along with new coil springs.

I am shopping 2 tbi engines. Both are super clean and priced near the same.

I want to start the subframe removal first thing January.

#14 ·
You'll want to do the control arm bushings as well while you have it out. I'm soon to roll the subframe back under mine and have similar miles. I found rust in the center mounts of the body as well. Check the build thread in my signature, I have lots of pics in the thread, body mount rust repair (pg. 6) and the upper control arms (pg. 8).

Andrew, A.K.A. Iceberg did a manual trans in his you may find interesting.

#15 ·
Yeah, the stick is interesting, but I'm still on the fence of swapping back in the auto...

I agree with WB, if you have the time & money, clean & repair all the issues on the sub-frame and body, there are a few things I wish I had the time & money to fix that I bypassed. I'll have to address those issues later, and it won't be as easy as when it was all apart.

-Andrew

#16 ·
indeed, I will be replacing all of the control arm bushings the subframe bushings upper and lower ball joints along with all of the steering components.

I am fortunate enough to have access to a 40 by at workshop this winter and several other vehicles to drive so time is no issue.

#20 ·
20141024_201019.jpg

20141024_201009.jpg

ENGINE IS IN THE SHOP!!!

95 TBI ENGINE claimed to have 90k miles but its way too clean for 90k.

The pieces keep rolling in as well.
Balljoints, bushings, coil springs, engine mount inserts, JTR block brackets, subframe bushings, and engine are all in attendance.

Shopping for a trans between now and January.

#25 ·
I will send the phone but you have to overnight it back to me.

I plan to check out the engine prior to install. Typical stuff...

pull valve covers and oil pan. Maybe the intake out of curiosity.
Compression check even though it was in a running driving suburban that was totaled due to 1 rear door getting smashed and the front grill and bumper too.
The rest of the suburban was SPOTLESS!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.