Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

What makes the gen III v8 so special?

3K views 11 replies 11 participants last post by  Zebediah III 
#1 ·
I am guessing that the answer to this question has to do with the millions of circuits that connect both the motor and transmission to a computer that makes it very efficient. The problem is, all of those wires and sensors make me a little bit nervous. If you started with a bare block, newly bored, installed aluminum pistons, a "low torque" cam, high performance ignition, (can you get 32 valve heads for these?) aftermarket tbi...would you come close to the performance/gas mileage that you would get with a gen III?

#2 ·
There is nothing special about them. Gov just pulled their head out and let them build them now instead of experimenting and trying to make them something they are not. Put the cam specs of a older smog motor in them and restrict head flow. Trying to make it what ever the hell they were thinking. Suddenly they have no power and get crappy gas mileage also.

Fuel economy also came from the Overdrives. Which appeared at the same time as the computer. Take the OD away and suddenly the mileage is gone also.

Biggest advantage is they let them be built with power now. So people with no mech or design skills can pop them in other things. And it is running the way they want it. The right set of heads matched to a cam is a wonderful thing. It don't matter what gen they are a air pump is a air pump.

All engines have the right parts to make them do this. But you got to know which ones to use. These engines are already done and idiot proof is why they are so well liked. Now the unwashed masses can build a hot rod to. Don't got to know or do anything.

#4 ·
chevymaher said:
These engines are already done and idiot proof is why they are so well liked. Now the unwashed masses can build a hot rod to. Don't got to know or do anything.
Thank goodness ;)

#6 ·
not really sure what year the Gen III V8 started, but the LS1 that started in 98 is aluminum block (Camaro s/s, Trans Am & Corvette). It is a 100 lbs less the 4.3 V6. 350 hp, from factory. My 98 Astro is tubbed with 33x22 rear tires, turned by a 9 inch ford with 4.11 gears, overdrive & a 99 LS1. I get 19-20 mpg & can cruise on the highway about 65 mph.

#7 ·
From what I know it started in late 1991 early 1992 of just drawings. But May of 1992 They did a comparison test on two Corvettes one GEN II Pushrod other LT5 DOHC. GM big wigs didn't like how the DOHC took awhile to "Wind up" This was the Birth of the GEN III push rod engine.

Late 91 Stephens buys pizzas for a Advanced Engineering team to pencil drawings

May 92 The blind Corvette test on push rod vs DOHC

1993 First beta dyno test

1994 Concept approval

1995 Engine near completion in vehicles and on the dyno

1996 Unveiled to media

late 96 Production of the LS1 begins at Romulus Michigan

In 1997 It was Voted Wards Engine of the year.Rest is Histor. Tom Stephens and Ed Koerner are considered the fathers of the GEN III V8

credit chevy LS1/LS6 Will Handzel

#9 ·
It's all about the "mystery" of a new and exciting engine. It's also all about getting fuel into a motor, and getting it to breathe. Just put a small supercharger and headers on any small block.. and you'll be talking! :D

#10 ·
Demand now is for motors that run 200k with zero maintenance..and keep their original HP at 200K.

The 5.3 did that. If I could wave a magic wand, the 5.3 would be dropped into my astro with a 4l80.

#11 ·
To start with, the stuff they come with stock is a lot better than many incarnations of the original SBC. The head flow numbers out of typical gen 3 heads are way better than virtually any gen1 head produced including the much vaunted L31 heads. Not only that, but it comes with an EFI intake that has great performance characteristics and good hood clearance. Something you spend good cash to do on a gen 1. The valvetrain is also equipped with factory roller rockers and roller lifters, something that either limits your years in an SBC or makes you buy extra parts in the case of the rockers. This is before we get into things like powertrain or engine management.

Engine longevity in the bores is largely attributable to EFI. The better controlled warm up cycles keeps fuel from washing the bores down compromising lubrication and causing bore wear/taper.

If I were going to buy in fully to an engine system today and was not going carbed/3 speed auto it would likely be an LS based engine of some kind. By the time you pay a buy in for a good EFI system that's aftermarket, the stuff to put on a gen 1 to make it an EFI system (don't say TPI, it sucks stock) and get a power train upgraded you're into not that much more spend and still probably making more power. To get a gen 1 350 to the point of a "cam only" 5.3L you're talking throwing on an intake and heads as well in all likelyhood. When you go into an all out race engine (think stuff people buy aftermarket blocks for) then the SBC starts balancing out in price because you're getting into a ton of aftermarket parts on both accounts anyways.

The LS series is the new SBC, it's the engine everyone's swapping into everything and that has the aftermarket support.

If the engine in my Lemans pukes out, it will be going to some form of 4.8/5.3L. I can get an EFI engine installed for about the same as it would cost me to rebuild the Pontiac and correct its flaws but will be lighter and make more power.

#12 ·
The LS isn't particularly that Imperialist Utopia Jesus Angleton and the rest of us
dreamed of, nor will it make you instantly experience some academic renaissance.
It's simply easy to find a wrecked vehicle with low miles, and all the wiring and
peripherals. It is also a lot more "tunable". It's the "Bellybutton" engine of this
era. You can get parts for it anywhere, day or night. The electronics are more
user friendly than anything previously offered, and yes- it fits!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.