Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

V8 SWAP LIST

75K views 68 replies 42 participants last post by  sixsix 
#1 ·
I have taken what many of the Original members have listed on the old site of what is needed and what is recommend to get for the TBI V8 swap so here it is if I missed anything let me know and I gladly add it to this list and hopefully it will get pinned.

1) The V8 (Preferably same year as your van but not necessary)
2) Motor Mounts (Available Two places Through Jakepatch or http://www.jagsthatrun.com)
3) TB bracket from V8 if not on motor
4) V8 fuel injectors (Need to put them on Astro TBI don't forget rebuild kit)
5) 7747 computer w/V8 chip Or new chip from http://www.tbichips.com
6) V8 exhaust manifolds or Headman headers (68600) (use copper gaskets)
7) V8 distributor
8) Wire and connectors to lengthen some wires
9) Nipple for the back of the manifold
10) V8 knock sensor if using TBI
11) Truck valve covers
12) Thermostat housing for V8 (Don't use V6 housing hole too small)
13) Front tranny seal (better do it now while its easy to get too)
14) Transgo shift kit

The following has been recommended by several members
(You don't need but are strongly recommended)

1) intake w/ all acc. connected from an 87-92 van or truck 305 or 350 will make connecting everything easy to connect rather than trying to make the V6 stuff fit.
2) Tranny cooler
3) Oil cooler
4) Flowkooler disc in waterpump vanes
5) 3 flu radiator out of an 89 Astro (heavy duty)
6) Taurus electric fan
7) vette servo

hope this helps you all!!! :banana: :layrubber:

See less See more
#2 ·
Hey Chops thats a pretty complete list but I wonder if it works out as well for the 97 and up folks.
I have a 99 and will probably buy a 5.7 to replace the knocking 4.3 that i have now but don't want so much of a hot rod. I have other crap for that so I am thinking of buying a complete motor with TBI on it and everything. That way all I need is the stock 5.7 exhaust and ... ? I know I will need new mounts and all but what else should I need if I buy the motor complete? Whats that about a nipple for the manifold? Is this a early astro need? Why would I need to change the valve covers as well? OK I know, I know, lots of questions but I like to be prepared!

I also think I am going to cut through the front of my copre support to pull the motor. I need to pull one fender off anyway to replace it and repair the inner panel beneath it anyway so what one more side. I already have the new bumper and the new fender and little pieces and painted them to match the body so they are ready to go on after the swap! I also think I will be eventually swapping out the front bumper with a modified late 90s ford f 150 bumper to have a steel bumper that I can winch,pull and tie to. Plus it will look sharp with the gurad and the lift! ;-)

thanks all. Listen if you have done this swap on a later model van and have some tips or advice please feel free to help me out. I am good with making mods and repairs but not with researching mundane details on swaps. I am more old school and have delt with three and five wire engines.

thanks in advance!!
Matt

#3 ·
everything I have read and heard is if you go with the same year everything is basically plug and play I am in the process of doing my V8 swap but I eliminated the computer and am going carbed lil more intense from my understanding. that list is a basic list. the ones to really talk to on this is safarirob,lockdoc,rebel and a few others [Rule 21 Violation]they have and still are answering many of my questions...

#4 ·
Thanks Chops...

Well I will make this an open invitation to "those who know", if I can use the same motor and go plug-n-play that might make it easier on me then buying a new comp or even a chip. Chops, I thought of going carbed and I have a 305 set-up ready to go but its going in another ride (the '49 you see as my avatar) that was already down for the new engine when the van started to go (arrgh!) so I thought I would keep it TBI and everything else works pretty well so no complaints there. Its already been down almost a month so I need to get it going and would much rather do a "swap" than a "build" right now, thus the interest in simplification, so folks if you have personal experience in swapping a 5.7 v8 in and you used the same year and just plugged in the harness and it was fine please let me know-- in fact let me know if it didn't go fine too! I could really use the firsthand knowlege here! That would make it much easier on me and make the list a little shorter.... right now I have headers, v8, new mounts, and thats pretty much it other than some wiring stuff which I would think would be easy, especially if I buy a complete motor and have the wiring on it.

Well thanks in advance anybody, I truly do appreciate it!
Matt

#6 ·
I have no idea on that either.... I have a 99 safari so that even further away from the earlier models. I wonder if I get the computer and all from the donor vehicle if can simply take the ECM out of the other computer and if its the same year just stick it in my computer? Is this possible even? I am well out of my expertise here....

thanks,
Matt

#7 ·
cavegearhauler said:
I have no idea on that either.... I have a 99 safari so that even further away from the earlier models. I wonder if I get the computer and all from the donor vehicle if can simply take the ECM out of the other computer and if its the same year just stick it in my computer? Is this possible even? I am well out of my expertise here....

thanks,
Matt
I'm kinda wondering the same actually. With a (In my case) 95 pickup ECM work with it's own motor in my 95 AWD??? Not saying I'm doing it yet but defiantly thinking about it? I want everything to still work properly though (ex tranny, AWD, cruise ect...).

#9 ·
Chops,

You still around? I noticed that you mentioned using the V-8 knock sensor instead of the V-6 knock sensor on your swap list. I used the V-6 sensor on my 93 swap and except for the vehicle being hard to start when hot, I haven't noticed any problems that may be related to using the V-6 sensor. Was there a reason to use the V-8 knocker and if so why? I know when I did my original swap in the late nineties and made the decision to go with the factory TBI, there was no one on the internet that had tried it at that time, so, I was on my own. Now, I'm trying to work out the various running problems I had back then now that I'm trying to get the old van going again and trying using it for long trips like I used to do before the V-6 died a premature death. Thanks.

#10 ·
Hi lotuseclat767

From what I gather, chops has been very ill lately, he hasn't been around much at all. Just to let you know. :)

#11 ·
I usually use the internet auto parts suppliers websites to research compatable parts. This allows me to cross referrance parts that may be the same from engine to engine. I also speak with my parts guy at my G.M parts counter and ask him to see if a certain part for my donor engine is the same as my Astro engine, just to confirm. If you provide your G.M. guy with the last 8 digits of the VIN for the truck the engine came out of, he will get the exact part number for your engine component, then he can cross very accurately to your van.

#15 ·
Dennis-(Chops) has been very sick with with his fight with cancer and diabetics.He has lost his eye sight permanently and will not be posting anywhere.His fight with cancer is in recovery.

I want this thread to be a standing honor to one of the best.

Please pray for one of my friends and a fellow Astro brother.

#19 ·
Safari / Jeep. Sounds right, huh? So why do I seem to be the only guy swapping an AMC 304 into my Safari? 1970 360 heads, small chamber, 2.02 valve, dog leg exhaust port. Crower cam. Exhaust manifolds will work, oil filter works, mounts will be easy. And, distributer in front - don't remove the doghouse for tuning!
The DN five speed behind the 304 will require only a minor crossmember mod, and the Safari driveshaft length will work.
I'm the only guy doing this. I'm strange. But answer this ... Have ya ever heard an AMC V8 spark knock? Nope - not even on 87 gas.

Phoneman.

#25 ·
Bertscova said:
One thing Chops left out of his list were the bandaids and lots of them :screaming:
another thing i should ad to your list, really handy.
BEERS and a lot of it and ear muffs to your neighbor for foreign languages

and a last one? for those that want to know a little bit more about your motor? Casting number and all?
have a boo there http://www.jimsperformance.com/blocks.html

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.