LM7 on 2003 astro cargo 2WD

LM7 on 2003 astro cargo 2WD

Postby astromstro123 [OP] » December 2nd 2015, 11:25am

wtssuuuuup astrosafarians im new to the site. i just got my astro. its a 2003 astro cargo 2WD. i live in Southern Cali just recently talked with a carb referee.i told em i wanted to get an LM7 from a 2005 2007 silverado to pit in my astro and he said it was legal so im super excited. the thing is ive never done anything close to an engine change. so where the hell do i start so that i can do this right the first time? the ref i spoke with said my astro pretty much has to be a silverado when i open the hood.
Original Poster [OP]
astromstro123
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Years of Membership: astromstro123 has been a member for 1 full year
Topics: 4
Year: 2003
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: 2WD Cargo 4.3l V6

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • 5.3 ls engine in Astro... some questions if anyone knows...
    by zach914v8zach914v8 is online! » January 29th 2017, 12:27am in V8 Swap
    9 Replies
    Last post by zach914v8zach914v8 is online! View the latest post
    January 31st 2017, 6:29pm
  • 97 Astro 5.7 Vortec V8 Swap
    by akforceten » February 13th 2017, 11:57pm in V8 Swap
    2 Replies
    Last post by akforceten View the latest post
    February 15th 2017, 5:52pm
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    April 26th 2017, 2:44pm

Re: LM7 on 2003 astro cargo 2WD

Postby Sailing_Faith » December 3rd 2015, 5:38pm

Does an LM7 do the shut down every other cyl thing?

It would be amazing to get 30mpg on the hwy!
Sailing_Faith
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: Sailing_Faith has been a member for 4 full yearsSailing_Faith has been a member for 4 full yearsSailing_Faith has been a member for 4 full yearsSailing_Faith has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 32
Alias (AKA): s/v Faith
Year: 1997
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari

Postby DRZ » December 3rd 2015, 7:07pm

I thought the LM7 or even better the L33 Silverado motors would be an easy swap for our 2WD Astros until one of our members had to modify the dog house to clear the truck style "intake". The Silverado DOES have the correct oil pan for a 2WD swap, the truck wire harness has the computer on the left same as our Astros to save the 180 wire splices it took to get the LS1 from a Trans-Am to hook up in my '98 Astro. You will have to clearance the frame slightly to clear the A/C compressor. I would recommend getting the engine with the correct transmission also rather than mix and matching any more than you have to. On my '98 I had to remount the coil pacs above the intake as there wasn't room in the stock location due to the tight fit at the dog house opening in the van floor. I made the engine motor mounts myself and the stock V6 frame motor mount location is fine.
Click on one of the pictures and it will take you to some of the photobucket pics that Mike saved from my album. Clicking on the arrows lets you see the rest. This shows the LS1 intake which clears everything.
Get your engine as a "Dropout" which includes everything to make it operate in any vehicle and don't be fooled with low prices on just an engine. The cost of swapping that way ends up costing more and makes the job way harder.
DRZ
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L2)
Years of Membership: DRZ has been a member for 9 full yearsDRZ has been a member for 9 full yearsDRZ has been a member for 9 full yearsDRZ has been a member for 9 full yearsDRZ has been a member for 9 full yearsDRZ has been a member for 9 full yearsDRZ has been a member for 9 full yearsDRZ has been a member for 9 full yearsDRZ has been a member for 9 full years
Topics: 45
Alias (AKA): HPbyStan
Year: 2004
Extra Info: awd cargo Alloys

Postby DRZ » December 3rd 2015, 7:28pm

Sailing_Faith wrote:Does an LM7 do the shut down every other cyl thing?

It would be amazing to get 30mpg on the hwy!

I think the LM7 that does the shutdown thing is renamed the L59. Wouldn't bet the ranch on that tho.
The LM7 comes two ways, with a cable throttle body or the drive by wire deal. I only have used the cable style myself so have no advice on the electronic system.
DRZ
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Years of Membership: DRZ has been a member for 9 full yearsDRZ has been a member for 9 full yearsDRZ has been a member for 9 full yearsDRZ has been a member for 9 full yearsDRZ has been a member for 9 full yearsDRZ has been a member for 9 full yearsDRZ has been a member for 9 full yearsDRZ has been a member for 9 full yearsDRZ has been a member for 9 full years

Postby DRZ » December 3rd 2015, 7:47pm

DRZ
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement

Postby astromstro123 [OP] » January 6th 2017, 7:38am

can i get a 5.3 from one of the newer trucks?? also can i get the ecm seperately and is it a good or bad idea??
Original Poster [OP]
astromstro123
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)

Postby chevymaher » January 6th 2017, 1:19pm

astromstro123 wrote:can i get a 5.3 from one of the newer trucks?? also can i get the ecm seperately and is it a good or bad idea??

I would get the ecm with the motor. It is there and you need the wiring and ecm.
chevymaher
Team Leader
Team Leader
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: chevymaher has been a member for 6 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 6 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 6 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 6 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 6 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 82
Alias (AKA): chevymaher
Year: 1994
Extra Info: SLE RWD Mercruiser

Postby WoodButcher » January 6th 2017, 3:47pm

astromstro123 wrote:can i get a 5.3 from one of the newer trucks?? also can i get the ecm seperately and is it a good or bad idea??

You want the motor, trans and all the related harness and computers for that motor, "turnkey" is what they call it I believe. Unless your a top dog mechanic and understand all the systems and can build each part of that given motor from scratch it is the only way to go.
As it is you'll have modifications to make as DRZ pointed out so why add more complications if you don't need to?

I went the easy road with my '93, same year and type of intake / ignition just 2 extra cylinders.
WoodButcher
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L5)
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L5)
Years of Membership: WoodButcher has been a member for 6 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 6 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 6 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 6 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 6 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 28
Alias (AKA): Bruce
Year: 1997
Extra Info: 4.3 RWD

Postby AstroWill » January 6th 2017, 4:54pm

astromstro123 wrote:the thing is ive never done anything close to an engine change. so where the hell do i start so that i can do this right the first time? the ref i spoke with said my astro pretty much has to be a silverado when i open the hood.

Well, as a first time swap, I would highly recommend getting the same year van engine, it's so much easier.

If you are willing, anything can be made to fit, but there are a lot of vehicles that get sold as 'project' vehicles, just because they got in too deep and never finished.
AstroWill
Team Leader
Team Leader
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L6)
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L6)
Years of Membership: AstroWill has been a member for 8 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 8 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 8 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 8 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 8 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 8 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 8 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 8 full years
Topics: 63
Extra Info: 90TigerGTv8 03AWD

Postby DRZ » January 6th 2017, 10:17pm

It seems the stock LM7 inlet manifold won't clear the "dog house" so I bought a LS1 manifold from eBay because I know that one clears with no problems. It looks like I will have to use the LS1 water pump or modify the upper hose outlet to clear the now lowered Throttle body.
DRZ
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement

Postby astromstro123 [OP] » January 7th 2017, 8:09am

is there such a thing as a rebuild manual for the 5.3l lm7 that has visual aids on what parts belong on the engine and where they go, all the wiring circuits?? can i get one at a dealer?? whats a good guide to rebuilding one of these engines?? or is it require me many years of experience to rebuild one of these?? tearing one down isnt a problem but i really want to be able to put one back together the right way. and i dont wana just take it to someone ao they can have all the fun.

thanks
Original Poster [OP]
astromstro123
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)

Postby Master slacker » January 7th 2017, 2:28pm