V8 engine swap on 97 astro

V8 engine swap on 97 astro

Postby CustomAstro [OP] » February 3rd 2008, 5:31pm

Hello everyone, I have just purchased a 97 astro cargo van, since the engine is dead I want to install a V8 engine on it. What size can I put on it, I'm looking for a reliable engine with lot of horsepower. Can any one help. thanks.
Original Poster [OP]
CustomAstro
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Years of Membership: CustomAstro has been a member for 6 full yearsCustomAstro has been a member for 6 full yearsCustomAstro has been a member for 6 full yearsCustomAstro has been a member for 6 full yearsCustomAstro has been a member for 6 full yearsCustomAstro has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 2

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author

Re: V8 engine swap on 97 astro

Postby chops » February 3rd 2008, 11:34pm

the 5.7 seemes to be a popular choice amongst the ranks I have one in my beast....
If your gonna street race dont be affraid to go to the left!
chops
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: chops has been a member for 6 full yearschops has been a member for 6 full yearschops has been a member for 6 full yearschops has been a member for 6 full yearschops has been a member for 6 full yearschops has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 40
Alias (AKA): Thechopfather

Postby CustomAstro [OP] » February 4th 2008, 6:55pm

What modifications did you do to the body, did you get new engine mounts? If you have any pics, can you send them to me?
Thanks
Original Poster [OP]
CustomAstro
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Years of Membership: CustomAstro has been a member for 6 full yearsCustomAstro has been a member for 6 full yearsCustomAstro has been a member for 6 full yearsCustomAstro has been a member for 6 full yearsCustomAstro has been a member for 6 full yearsCustomAstro has been a member for 6 full years

Postby chops » February 4th 2008, 11:58pm

CustomAstro wrote:What modifications did you do to the body, did you get new engine mounts? If you have any pics, can you send them to me?Thanks

Image motor mounts for a 2 wheeldrive purchased from jagsthatrun.com 49.00 plus tax and shipping there is a conversion manual but dont bother it sucks I have one Ill scan the astro section for ya and post it.
heres a print out of the manual if you an make your own.

Ill post some more later tonight.
chops
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Years of Membership: chops has been a member for 6 full yearschops has been a member for 6 full yearschops has been a member for 6 full yearschops has been a member for 6 full yearschops has been a member for 6 full yearschops has been a member for 6 full years

Postby tym2clm » February 6th 2008, 8:56pm

Is there any drawings for AWD motor mounts for a 1994? Thanks
tym2clm
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Years of Membership: tym2clm has been a member for 6 full yearstym2clm has been a member for 6 full yearstym2clm has been a member for 6 full yearstym2clm has been a member for 6 full yearstym2clm has been a member for 6 full yearstym2clm has been a member for 6 full years

Postby nitropyro » February 6th 2008, 11:36pm

i put in a 402. all i did was flip the mounts side to side had to weld one bracket and bolted the other in. ill have pics up in a few when i post my project "ratstro" on here
Danny
ps supposedly all you have to do is flip the mounts around to put in a 5.7.
nitropyro
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L1)
Years of Membership: nitropyro has been a member for 6 full yearsnitropyro has been a member for 6 full yearsnitropyro has been a member for 6 full yearsnitropyro has been a member for 6 full yearsnitropyro has been a member for 6 full yearsnitropyro has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 4
Alias (AKA): nitropyro666

Postby chops » February 6th 2008, 11:48pm

tym2clm wrote:Is there any drawings for AWD motor mounts for a 1994? Thanks

I dont have one but to be honest in my opinion it so much easier to pay fifty bucks and buy the mounts that are basically plug and play, than put the engine in line it up then tack weld a bracket in then pull it back out to do a finsh weld but thats my opinion.
chops
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement

Postby Bikehauler » February 7th 2008, 3:39am

I used the mounts from Racecraft performance. I don't think that they are around any more but the mounts from JTR should be fine (I used them on another swap). Getting the mounts and just bolting the motor in works well. You will find little things that need to be fiddled with while doing a swap. Don't make mounting the engine one of these things. BUY the mounts and move forward. Unless you really like fabricating your own stuff and have a lot of extra time.
Rocke.
1990 Astro Cargo shorty. 350 V8, roller cam, flat top pistons, roller rockers, tbi stage 2 chip, built 700r4 tranny. 3:42 open diff (3:73 posi waiting install). Now rollin on new 18's.
Bikehauler
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Fueling (3/8 tank)
Fueling (3/8 tank)
Years of Membership: Bikehauler has been a member for 6 full yearsBikehauler has been a member for 6 full yearsBikehauler has been a member for 6 full yearsBikehauler has been a member for 6 full yearsBikehauler has been a member for 6 full yearsBikehauler has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 1

Postby tym2clm » February 7th 2008, 6:08pm

What is the differance between the 2wd and AWD motor mounts? I have access to some high dollar equipment and certified welders here at work. I think I could build them cheaper than JTR. I could have a set of the 2wd mounts built and then prototyped to fit the AWD if there isn't much difference between the two. Thanks all for the replies. I'm new here and have recently aquired a 1994 AWD vin W Astro. Planning on swapping in a 327 once I have all my ducks in a row.
tym2clm
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Years of Membership: tym2clm has been a member for 6 full yearstym2clm has been a member for 6 full yearstym2clm has been a member for 6 full yearstym2clm has been a member for 6 full yearstym2clm has been a member for 6 full yearstym2clm has been a member for 6 full years

Postby moboman » February 8th 2008, 4:23am

Someone put in a 502 in an astro. They spent 20k on the conversion.
Sold: 1997 Astro Cargo with carputer
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2932891
moboman
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: moboman has been a member for 6 full yearsmoboman has been a member for 6 full yearsmoboman has been a member for 6 full yearsmoboman has been a member for 6 full yearsmoboman has been a member for 6 full yearsmoboman has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 14

Postby Bikehauler » February 8th 2008, 8:52am

moboman wrote:Someone put in a 502 in an astro. They spent 20k on the conversion.

That was Peter. This proves that you can do anything if you are determined enough. His entire project was beautifully chronicled on this very site before all the crashing. I had also documented 2 V8 swaps. The second one was done over a weekend and I posted the progress as we went. My brother and I along with another astrosafari member helped a 4th board member that need assistance with the swap. In fact we brought the van to my shop just to make it easier. Made some new friends and the thread was a lot of fun. Image
Sanj(reaper),Kevin(kidhauler),Rocke(bikehauler),Todd(Canadavan)
It will be great to see some new V8 swaps on here as they progress.

Now after all my rambling, to answer your question I have no idea what the difference is in the 4wd mounts. If no one can answer I will look it up in my old swap manual tomorrow.
Rocke
1990 Astro Cargo shorty. 350 V8, roller cam, flat top pistons, roller rockers, tbi stage 2 chip, built 700r4 tranny. 3:42 open diff (3:73 posi waiting install). Now rollin on new 18's.
Bikehauler
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Fueling (3/8 tank)
Fueling (3/8 tank)
Years of Membership: Bikehauler has been a member for 6 full yearsBikehauler has been a member for 6 full yearsBikehauler has been a member for 6 full yearsBikehauler has been a member for 6 full yearsBikehauler has been a member for 6 full yearsBikehauler has been a member for 6 full years

Postby nitropyro » February 8th 2008, 12:09pm

who can you posibly talking about lol? where is peter is he coming back to this site?
Danny
Danny Allen 21 years old
columbus ohio
Ratstro- 402 bbc bagged astro work in progress
nitropyro
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Years of Membership: nitropyro has been a member for 6 full yearsnitropyro has been a member for 6 full yearsnitropyro has been a member for 6 full yearsnitropyro has been a member for 6 full yearsnitropyro has been a member for 6 full yearsnitropyro has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 4
Alias (AKA): nitropyro666

Postby moboman » February 15th 2008, 1:59am

I didnt want to mention Petey's name. He might come over here along with his "smurffness" lol

I think he has decided to stay over at the other site. :(
moboman
Years of Membership: moboman has been a member for 6 full yearsmoboman has been a member for 6 full yearsmoboman has been a member for 6 full yearsmoboman has been a member for 6 full yearsmoboman has been a member for 6 full yearsmoboman has been a member for 6 full years

Postby chops » February 15th 2008, 3:46am

nitropyro wrote:who can you posibly talking about lol? where is peter is he coming back to this site?
Danny

His little blue hairs are a little ruffled over all the crashes from when Will had the site so he says he doesnt have the time to devote to two sites but he'll regain his senses and come home....Or we'll just have to go kidnapp him and bring him back :yipes: Just kiddin lurkers!!!

OBTW Bikehauler how tall is your Garage door opening??? :biglaugh:
chops
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement

Postby moboman » February 15th 2008, 6:24am

ya thats a huge looking garage! And I only see 3 guys in the picture? Maybe one is really a vampire? :o
moboman

Postby moboman » February 15th 2008, 6:26am

next my 97 astro :D. You guys had so much fun doing that one. :banana:
moboman

Postby Bikehauler » February 15th 2008, 8:15am

What now I have to go measure the garage door?? I think it is 9' tall. This is just incase I want to do a lifted astro one day. See I plan ahead for all the possibilities. The shop is 23' x 30' and the roof is a deck attached to the house.
Mombo What do you mean you only see 3 people?? Clearly there are 4 in the picture and a Van.
And this also reminds me I was supposed to check the motor mount differences. Better get on that and stop hijacking this thread!
P.S. if you lived around here we probably would put a V8 in your van. I'm always a sucker for a van in need. Although I think my bro will be pissed if his van isn't next.
Rocke.
Bikehauler
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Fueling (3/8 tank)
Fueling (3/8 tank)

Postby chops » February 15th 2008, 11:12am

Bikehauler wrote:What now I have to go measure the garage door?? I think it is 9' tall. This is just incase I want to do a lifted astro one day. See I plan ahead for all the possibilities. The shop is 23' x 30' and the roof is a deck attached to the house.
Mombo What do you mean you only see 3 people?? Clearly there are 4 in the picture and a Van.
And this also reminds me I was supposed to check the motor mount differences. Better get on that and stop hijacking this thread!
P.S. if you lived around here we probably would put a V8 in your van. I'm always a sucker for a van in need. Although I think my bro will be pissed if his van isn't next.
Rocke.

Man I wish I had a garage with a nine ft high door! that garage is sweet by what I see... and MR Mobo lay off the sauce :drunk: I see four too!
:biglaugh:
chops
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement

Postby moboman » February 16th 2008, 5:41am

I found my problem. The picture was sized down, so all I saw was 2 guys on the right, and Rocke was kind of cutoff. Then I didnt even see the 4th guy!
moboman

Postby howiez » February 20th 2008, 4:27am

I have CAD models and drawings of S10 V-8 conversion mounts, if you could use them to speed up your fabrication. I put a 400 small block in my 83 4x4 S10 some years back, and made detailed plans and one set of mounts based off mounts that were purchased. I was working with the guy that programmed our burn table then, and he was able to nest parts in some scrap, and run it through with production stuff. Government work, that a case of beer got it welded together. Unfortunately, i don't' have that luxury with the company i work for now, they hoard every scrap and watch the burn nests, so I can't sneak anything through. I think they are close in size to the ones shown here in an earlier post, if someone would like drawings or CAD models, just holler, i'll see if i can dig them up.
howiez
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Years of Membership: howiez has been a member for 6 full yearshowiez has been a member for 6 full yearshowiez has been a member for 6 full yearshowiez has been a member for 6 full yearshowiez has been a member for 6 full yearshowiez has been a member for 6 full years