Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

V8 engine swap on 97 astro

19K views 19 replies 7 participants last post by  howiez 
#1 ·
Hello everyone, I have just purchased a 97 astro cargo van, since the engine is dead I want to install a V8 engine on it. What size can I put on it, I'm looking for a reliable engine with lot of horsepower. Can any one help. thanks.

#4 ·
CustomAstro said:
What modifications did you do to the body, did you get new engine mounts? If you have any pics, can you send them to me?Thanks
motor mounts for a 2 wheeldrive purchased from jagsthatrun.com 49.00 plus tax and shipping there is a conversion manual but dont bother it sucks I have one Ill scan the astro section for ya and post it.
heres a print out of the manual if you an make your own.

Ill post some more later tonight.

#6 ·
i put in a 402. all i did was flip the mounts side to side had to weld one bracket and bolted the other in. ill have pics up in a few when i post my project "ratstro" on here
Danny
ps supposedly all you have to do is flip the mounts around to put in a 5.7.

#7 ·
tym2clm said:
Is there any drawings for AWD motor mounts for a 1994? Thanks
I dont have one but to be honest in my opinion it so much easier to pay fifty bucks and buy the mounts that are basically plug and play, than put the engine in line it up then tack weld a bracket in then pull it back out to do a finsh weld but thats my opinion.

#8 ·
I used the mounts from Racecraft performance. I don't think that they are around any more but the mounts from JTR should be fine (I used them on another swap). Getting the mounts and just bolting the motor in works well. You will find little things that need to be fiddled with while doing a swap. Don't make mounting the engine one of these things. BUY the mounts and move forward. Unless you really like fabricating your own stuff and have a lot of extra time.
Rocke.

#9 ·
What is the differance between the 2wd and AWD motor mounts? I have access to some high dollar equipment and certified welders here at work. I think I could build them cheaper than JTR. I could have a set of the 2wd mounts built and then prototyped to fit the AWD if there isn't much difference between the two. Thanks all for the replies. I'm new here and have recently aquired a 1994 AWD vin W Astro. Planning on swapping in a 327 once I have all my ducks in a row.

#11 ·
moboman said:
Someone put in a 502 in an astro. They spent 20k on the conversion.
That was Peter. This proves that you can do anything if you are determined enough. His entire project was beautifully chronicled on this very site before all the crashing. I had also documented 2 V8 swaps. The second one was done over a weekend and I posted the progress as we went. My brother and I along with another astrosafari member helped a 4th board member that need assistance with the swap. In fact we brought the van to my shop just to make it easier. Made some new friends and the thread was a lot of fun.

Sanj(reaper),Kevin(kidhauler),Rocke(bikehauler),Todd(Canadavan)
It will be great to see some new V8 swaps on here as they progress.

Now after all my rambling, to answer your question I have no idea what the difference is in the 4wd mounts. If no one can answer I will look it up in my old swap manual tomorrow.
Rocke

#14 ·
nitropyro said:
who can you posibly talking about lol? where is peter is he coming back to this site?
Danny
His little blue hairs are a little ruffled over all the crashes from when Will had the site so he says he doesnt have the time to devote to two sites but he'll regain his senses and come home....Or we'll just have to go kidnapp him and bring him back :yipes: Just kiddin lurkers!!!

OBTW Bikehauler how tall is your Garage door opening??? :biglaugh:

#17 ·
What now I have to go measure the garage door?? I think it is 9' tall. This is just incase I want to do a lifted astro one day. See I plan ahead for all the possibilities. The shop is 23' x 30' and the roof is a deck attached to the house.
Mombo What do you mean you only see 3 people?? Clearly there are 4 in the picture and a Van.
And this also reminds me I was supposed to check the motor mount differences. Better get on that and stop hijacking this thread!
P.S. if you lived around here we probably would put a V8 in your van. I'm always a sucker for a van in need. Although I think my bro will be pissed if his van isn't next.
Rocke.

#18 ·
Bikehauler said:
What now I have to go measure the garage door?? I think it is 9' tall. This is just incase I want to do a lifted astro one day. See I plan ahead for all the possibilities. The shop is 23' x 30' and the roof is a deck attached to the house.
Mombo What do you mean you only see 3 people?? Clearly there are 4 in the picture and a Van.
And this also reminds me I was supposed to check the motor mount differences. Better get on that and stop hijacking this thread!
P.S. if you lived around here we probably would put a V8 in your van. I'm always a sucker for a van in need. Although I think my bro will be pissed if his van isn't next.
Rocke.
Man I wish I had a garage with a nine ft high door! that garage is sweet by what I see... and MR Mobo lay off the sauce :drunk: I see four too!
:biglaugh:

#20 ·
I have CAD models and drawings of S10 V-8 conversion mounts, if you could use them to speed up your fabrication. I put a 400 small block in my 83 4x4 S10 some years back, and made detailed plans and one set of mounts based off mounts that were purchased. I was working with the guy that programmed our burn table then, and he was able to nest parts in some scrap, and run it through with production stuff. Government work, that a case of beer got it welded together. Unfortunately, i don't' have that luxury with the company i work for now, they hoard every scrap and watch the burn nests, so I can't sneak anything through. I think they are close in size to the ones shown here in an earlier post, if someone would like drawings or CAD models, just holler, i'll see if i can dig them up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.