tapping into fuel line/fuel tank for Espar heater

Re: tapping into fuel line/fuel tank for Espar heater

Postby AstroWill » April 10th 2017, 3:43am

Bat wrote:But I can tell you a story about a trainee mechanic and a Henry vacuum cleaner. If you don't have them in​.the US it's a heavy duty vacuum with a smiley face on the front and​ the hose comes out of the nose.

https://www.amazon.com/Numatic-Hi-Power ... B005ET3AP4
Never seen one before, going to show that to my son in the morning, he will love it.

Bat wrote:The trainee mechanic was changing a fuel sender unit on his own car during dinner break.
A senior tech had told him to blow the top of the tank off with the air line before removing the sender to keep the crap out of the tank. Well the trainee remembered after he'd removed the sender so opted to use the vacuum. The senior tech came dashing into the shop when he heard the explosion. The trainee was shaking in the corner and all that was left of the vacuum was an eyeball :rofl:
Cheers,
Gavin :)

Hope nobody got hurt. I bet he won't make that mistake again.
AstroWill
Team Leader
Team Leader
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L6)
Years of Membership: AstroWill has been a member for 8 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 8 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 8 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 8 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 8 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 8 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 8 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 8 full years
Topics: 66
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: 90TigerGTv8 03AWD

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • Fuel Line Replacement
    by gates » December 11th 2016, 8:12pm in Engines
    4 Replies
    Last post by gates View the latest post
    December 14th 2016, 4:45am
  • Fuel line leaking, Intermittent Stumble
    by kennysmoke » March 21st 2017, 11:18pm in Engines
    8 Replies
    Last post by Leeann_93 View the latest post
    March 22nd 2017, 2:09am
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    May 26th 2017, 8:38am

Postby RonRod [OP] » April 10th 2017, 8:00am

Hey guys,
Sorry that Ive been MIA, had some travel come up and my espar shipment was delayed from Heatso.

I dropped the gas tank today, and siphoned out all the gas. Even after topping off our other car, I had to go buy 2 extra 5 gallon jugs as I forgot that I was doing the install when I last filled the tank Doh! Took forever to get all the gas out.

Letting the tank air out overnight outside, thankfully there's a nice breeze to help things along.

I will be drilling a hole and placing in the fuel standpipe. No option to go through the fuel pump lid, as there simply is not enough space.

Thanks for the advice about drilling on an angle. I'll give that a shot. Additionally, Im going to see if I can get something inside the tank to catch any filings from the drilling. As well as the magnet.
Original Poster [OP]
RonRod
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L1)
Topics: 8
Year: 1996
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari

Postby RonRod [OP] » April 11th 2017, 4:06pm

Done!

So after looking everything over, I decided to put the fuel standpipe towards the back of the tank. The tank is slightly deeper on that end, and there is fairly easy access to that portion of the tank from the rear once I drop the tire.

I spent a bunch of time making sure every last drop of gas was out and that the tank was dry. The hot sun yesterday helped. Then I took an air compressor and blew it through the intake of the tank for a good twenty minutes. Repeated that twice.

When it finally came time to drill the hole, I started by folding a sheet of aluminum foil into a tray, and then rolled it slightly so that I could get it into the tank. Once the tray was inside the tank, I unrolled it with one hand, and then placed it under my proposed drilling site with the goal of catch as many of the filings/metal bits as possible.

On top of the tank, where I was adding the hole, I smeared a gob of grease to help catch any filings on top of the hole as the drill bit cut. Read about this somewhere on the web. It worked awesome.

I moved the tank out into the yard a ways away from where I had been working to make sure any lingering fumes would be at a minimum. I used a stepped drill bit to slowly put a 7/8" hole in the tank. Went really easy actually. The instructions for the Espar indicate to put a 1" hole in the tank, so that you can feed the standpipe in from the top by angling the fitting to squeeze through the hole. Since I had easy enough access to the inside of the tank, I drilled a bit smaller and left more metal for the standpipe fitting to grab on to.

The combo of the grease and the aluminum tray worked a charm, and meant that I only had 2 bits of metal to retrieve with a magnet.

From there, I added a new fuel pump (now my gas gauge actually works) and fuel filter and then wrestled the tank back into place. Refilled the tank and the van seems to have a little extra pep in it. Also the whining noise that I had before seems to be gone. I think that fuel pump was getting to the end of it's life.

Now onto the install of the actual Espar heater.
Original Poster [OP]
RonRod

Postby AstroWill » April 12th 2017, 12:14am

Glad to hear that you got the tank part finished, get any pictures?
AstroWill
Team Leader
Team Leader
Years of Membership: AstroWill has been a member for 8 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 8 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 8 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 8 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 8 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 8 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 8 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 8 full years

Postby Nomad » April 13th 2017, 4:42am

would love to see pics once you got it in and were you installed it...
Nomad
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: Nomad has been a member for 1 full year
Topics: 39
Alias (AKA): Nomad
Year: 1999
Extra Info: AWD - 4.5 - 5in Lift

Postby Bat » April 15th 2017, 9:32am

Hi,
The grease is a good shout. The hole-saw would have created most of its swarf on the top of the tank, I blow the swarf off as i drill. Glad you're​ all sorted and a wise move to sort the fuel pump while the tank's out! :)
When installing the heater pay attention to the small details for the most reliable outcome.
Things like fuel pump angle, combustion air pipe and exhaust layouts are all key to making it work properly. A strong electrical supply is also important on 12volt systems as volt drop can leave you with a heater that won't start!
Correct calculation of the ducting factor will prevent overheat shutdowns too.
Cheers,
Gavin :)
Bat
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Year: 1995

Postby RonRod [OP] » April 17th 2017, 4:03pm

This. heater. is. freaking. awesome.

Slept down to high thirties on Friday night, and everyone was plenty toasty. In the morning, we were able to hang out inside the van comfortably waiting for the sun to get over the ridge. There is a little bit of noise, but worth it for the comfort.

I located the main heater in my rear bench seat box. The controller, high altitude sensor, and temp sensor went in/on the pillar behind the drivers seat. I wanted to be able to see/adjust the controller from the upper sleeping platform. This setup works great.

The intake and exhaust run on the rear drivers side.

Gavin, thanks for the tips. So far, so good!

I also made a little shroud for my fuel pump from some closed cell foam that I had on hand. Trying to protect it and maybe dampen just a bit of the ticking sound that sometimes happens with the pump.

Here's some photos:

Aluminum tray to catch filings

Installed Standpipe:

Tough to get a shot of the intake and exhaust. This part actually took the most figuring, as I did not want the fuel line, nor the intake to get get too close to the exhaust pipe. Tight space to work in, but eventually got it sorted. I can try to get a better photo in the future when I have the van back up on stands.

Controller mounted near the top of the drivers side pillar.

I used a Nite Ize Steelie WallMount (https://www.niteize.com/product/Steelie-Wall-Mount-Kit-Tablets.asp) to mount the controller. This allows me to rotate the display depending if Im hanging out 'downstairs' vs in bed upstairs. I do a bit of work for Nite Ize, so I had this laying around. Works great.
Original Poster [OP]
RonRod

Postby AstroWill » April 17th 2017, 4:17pm

AWESOME! Great looking install!

Thanks for posting pictures/details.
AstroWill
Team Leader
Team Leader

Postby Nomad » April 21st 2017, 12:15am

could we get pic of were exhaust/intake is under van and a pic of the heater but from a farther point to kind of tell better as to location...

I just build a bed/box like that for my van so it may just work out for me too I do like the way you did the fuel thing on the tank awesome...
Nomad
Years of Membership: Nomad has been a member for 1 full year
Topics: 39
Alias (AKA): Nomad
Year: 1999
Extra Info: AWD - 4.5 - 5in Lift

Previous