HELP NEEDED! P0452 after fuel pump/filter replacement

HELP NEEDED! P0452 after fuel pump/filter replacement

Postby bmihalko [OP] » October 10th 2011, 8:48pm

New on here but could sure use some help!

1998 Chevy Astro 4.3L, 120K miles

I've replaced fuel pump, fuel filter and spark plugs but she's not running well and I have a P0452 code (Evaporative Emission Control System Pressure Sensor Low Input ).

Problem began w/no start. Checked fuel pump - NOT running. Banged on tank - NOT running. Removed fuel tank and pump. Hooked up pump outside of fuel tank and it ran. Re-installed fuel pump - key on and it cycled. I went ahead and replaced the fuel pump (a CarParts Warehouse.com fuel pump). This included a new style electircal connector which I had to replace on the van side harness to the fuel pump. Used butt connectors to splice new connector onto harness.

Van started and ran fine - did not test drive yet. I went ahead and replaced the spark plugs and some vacuum lines. Test drive good for a couple of blocks then van died. Hard to restart - acutally have to pump accelerator. Runs a litttle rough then okay for a minute then it dies. I checked OBD codes but did not get any. Took van into shop and he said they pulled the P0452 code and could not clear it. I dropped the tank again today and found one of the butt connection wires had come loose. I re-terminated/soldered all splices. All three lines from fuel pump are connected correctly (three different sizes). Van started and did the same thing again after short test drive. I did note the fuel tank had built considerable pressure in just 1/2 mile (I pulled the fuel cap off and it vented) I was able to see the P0452 code this time - clear it and it comes right back. I can hear the evap canister dripping into the fuel tank with the van shut off. The fuel tank has approx 1/4 tank of fuel.

My understanding is the evap canister is full of fuel now and it's purging into the injection system causing the engine to die due to a rich condition. Could the loose connection on the harness have caused the evap can to become saturated and keep causing this problem and the evap can needs to be replaced? Could I have a bad fuel cap? Updated: I just checked and found the Evap Solenoid wet with fuel? I disconnected the wire harness to the Evap Valve and started and ran the engine for a few but it tripped P0452 code again and then I found fuel running out of the evap solenoid.

I'm ready to throw a lit match at this thing so any help would be greatly appreciated!
Last edited by bmihalko on October 10th 2011, 10:17pm, edited 2 times in total.
Original Poster [OP]
bmihalko
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Years of Membership: bmihalko has been a member for 3 full yearsbmihalko has been a member for 3 full yearsbmihalko has been a member for 3 full years
Topics: 1
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: LT 4.3L