2003 astro will not start.

2003 astro will not start.

Postby glassguy [OP] » December 15th 2010, 3:12am

Hello, I am new here and I have a huge problem. My 2003 astro is my work van and it will not start. Let me start with how we came to this point, I parked my van last Monday the 6th in my unheated garage, and went out of town. I returned home, and went to start the van today. The van turned over like normal but did not start, it seemed that it had a bit of a hickup but did not start. I checked fuel pressure, and it is at 55, I checked spark and I have it, I checked distributor, and it was bad (I knew this already and had planned on chaninging it anyways), I changed dist,cap,rotor, and it still just cranks but wont start. It seems like it isnt getting fuel but it is gettign it.

I need help asap. This is my work van and if it does not run I do not work.

Thank you in advance
Original Poster [OP]
glassguy
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Years of Membership: glassguy has been a member for 3 full yearsglassguy has been a member for 3 full yearsglassguy has been a member for 3 full years
Topics: 1
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author

Re: 2003 astro will not start.

Postby 'cudapaul » December 15th 2010, 5:03am

Spray some starting fluid or ether down the intake.
If it starts and dies you have a fuel problem.

If it doesn't start then you have an ignition problem to solve.
'cudapaul
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: 'cudapaul has been a member for 6 full years'cudapaul has been a member for 6 full years'cudapaul has been a member for 6 full years'cudapaul has been a member for 6 full years'cudapaul has been a member for 6 full years'cudapaul has been a member for 6 full years
Alias (AKA): 'cudapaul
Extra Info: LT AWD

Postby glassguy [OP] » December 15th 2010, 5:07am

i did the starting fluid trick and no start still..
Original Poster [OP]
glassguy
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Years of Membership: glassguy has been a member for 3 full yearsglassguy has been a member for 3 full yearsglassguy has been a member for 3 full years

Postby Phantom » December 15th 2010, 5:50am

You said you knew the distributor was bad , were you referring to the parts replaced or the distributor?, sometimes the pickup coil under the rotor goes bad , The other things that come to mind that cause this problem are , Crankshaft sensor gone bad, camshaft sensor or wiring connector, or the ignition module mounted next to the coil , crank sensor and ignition module are common for this problem, is it winter there? water freezing in the fuel filter another possibility.
Phantom
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L4)
Years of Membership: Phantom has been a member for 4 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 4 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 4 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 15

Postby glassguy [OP] » December 15th 2010, 6:16am

i replaced the distributor, cap , and rotor. it is winter but it has been in the 40's

i dont know if this has anything to do with anything, but for awhile now every now and again when i turn the key everything comes on like it is suppose to, but the starter wont engage, but if you cycled the key a few time times it would finally engage the starter. it would also start if you jumped the starter.

I knew the distributor was bad because last summer it was raining really bad and the van would not run right at all, so i replaced the cap and rotor that fixed the problem. When I had it apart i noticed there was a bit of wobble to the distributor and was kind of rusty looking. my plan was wait it out until i could get the new distributor and repalce the cap and rotor again before winter.
Original Poster [OP]
glassguy
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)

Postby Phantom » December 15th 2010, 2:47pm

As far as the distributor wobble goes , that will causes a rough running various possible multiple run ability problems , a good new distributor at $59 with a full 5 year warranty is

http://www.skipwhiteperformance.com/det ... em=6671-BK

Usually when we speak of a van not starting it is thought to be cranking over with the starter ,just not firing up , seems in your case you may have several possible problem areas . If you can get it to start by jumping the starter , then you likely have a solenoid problem, which is mounted on the starter. the starter could have weak or bad windings\brushes\commutator brushes. In which case you should remove the starter and take it to autozone or advanceauto and have them perform a free test it to see if it is drawing too much current , it may need a rebuild or a new starter . I had bought a new reman AC Delco starter and it came with a lifetime warranty.for less than $60 for my Buick. It is hard to say if your ignition key switch\wiring is bad or good , but if it is good then your starter\solenoid is the first place to start testing, Write down everything you do tests and results and you will have something to refer to when diagnosing this problem , When removing the starter closely inspect the wiring , the wires there may have frayed or broken or maybe the fusible link has blown .
Phantom
Years of Membership: Phantom has been a member for 4 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 4 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 4 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 4 full years

Postby glassguy [OP] » December 15th 2010, 3:17pm

the starter issue is the easy part that only happens once in a while lol. i have to figure out the bigger issue of why it will not start. the van has 160k on it without throwing all kinds of money at it there really could only be a few issue to deal with right? the ignition modual, coil, or cranksensor. unless it jumped time which im dont think happened. phantom, you seem to know your vans if you were to guess on this issue what would be the more common part to go out?
Original Poster [OP]
glassguy
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)

Postby Phantom » December 15th 2010, 6:18pm

I once had a similar problem as you , it was only an intermittent starting problem but once started it ran fine . One very very cold winter morning it would not start at all , to make a long story short it was the crank sensor gone bad , it's basically a magnet and had worn out , replaced it and it worked fine , problem gone , but I would hate to tell someone to go buy one and find out later that it was a bad ground, or a frayed wire , blown fuse\fusible link . The sensor may or may not need replaced , The thing to do is start a diagnosis report of your own , start with checking battery condition and just go step by step process of elimination , checking simple things first to either eliminate them or find out how they are performing ,writing down each thing you test ,. Is component doing what it is supposed to do?, progressively you will identify the problem area , make sure your electrical connections are clean and corrosion free . Ignition modules are heat sensitive and there is dielectric grease between it and the heat sink , as aging the grease dissipates and the heat is not transferred to the heat sink like it should and overheats and burns out, If you have confirmed that you have good fuel , and good strong spark the crank sensor could be the problem .

One thing that people who want to fix their own cars should get is a OBD scanner to read live data that helps pinpoint what the problem is, most DIY'ers think it cost too much money cause they think they will only use it once or twice , but a person may use it on friends cars or friend of a friend\stranger and help someone out in trade .One person may be in business to clean carpets , so they clean your carpet for free and you diagnose and help with the car for free, various possibilities to barter and neither side has to put out any cash but both get services for free . :)
Phantom

Postby chevy57bert » December 15th 2010, 8:26pm

:goodpost: Phantom.
You made it very clear what to do.. Diagnose first. Then buy the parts you need..
chevy57bert
Section Moderator
Section Moderator
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L3)
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L3)
Years of Membership: chevy57bert has been a member for 5 full yearschevy57bert has been a member for 5 full yearschevy57bert has been a member for 5 full yearschevy57bert has been a member for 5 full yearschevy57bert has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 67
Alias (AKA): Bertjuh
Year: 1992
Extra Info: Ext 4.3L rwd

Postby glassguy [OP] » December 15th 2010, 10:02pm

thank you for the help phantom,
The van is at a shop and on the scanner but it is not showing any codes. i figured seeing as it has 160k miles i would replace these parts so i did

distributor
cap
rotor
ignition module
coil

still doing the same thing I am gettign the crank sensor hopefully overnight. If the crank sensor does not do the trick are there any other sugeestions?

:confused:
Original Poster [OP]
glassguy
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)

Postby Phantom » December 15th 2010, 11:49pm

A question I have is , with the van being at a shop , I take it you mean a repair shop, and they have put it on a scanner. There is a difference between a scanner and a code reader, a code reader only reads codes, a scanner reads live , real time, instantaneous data , like if there is a misfire it will give a read out of which cylinder misfired , what injector info is, fuel trim and a lot of other data that occurs instantaneously , the moment it happens it reads it and can record it and give results that a code reader cannot do . If a shop has a scanner on it they should be showing you what is happening in real time , if all they can tell you is that there is no codes , then they did not scan it for live data and should have told you that ,.
That is the difference in going to autozone to get a free code reading and going to a real repair tech who charges $65 -$85 for a diagnostic scan, Did you try the other things I mentioned in earlier post? and what was the resulting info ?
Phantom

Postby glassguy [OP] » December 16th 2010, 12:13am

problem solved

crank sensor fixed it.

thanks phantom for youe support!!!!!!!

you rock
Original Poster [OP]
glassguy
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)

Postby Phantom » December 16th 2010, 12:38am

Good to hear, now you're in good shape all round , congrats ! :)
Phantom