are 95 4.3 Vortec faster then other years

are 95 4.3 Vortec faster then other years

Postby buick68 [OP] » December 25th 2010, 6:49am

Hello, I have a 1995 RWD Astro, Im thinking about adding some horsepower, or should i do a engine swapp for a diffrent year that is faster from the factory? i was told that the 1995 Vortec has the larger heads ect. is this true? does the 1995 have the faster engine from 1988 to 2004??
Original Poster [OP]
buick68
Fueling (1/2 tank)
Fueling (1/2 tank)
Years of Membership: buick68 has been a member for 4 full yearsbuick68 has been a member for 4 full yearsbuick68 has been a member for 4 full yearsbuick68 has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 21
Alias (AKA): jd
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: conversion

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author

Re: are 95 4.3 Vortec faster then other years

Postby chevymaherchevymaher is online! » December 25th 2010, 7:26am

From what I have read W vin heads from 94 on have best flow numbers And also w vin motors rated highest factory power in same years.Using computer performance program Tbi on a W vin motor has best power. There was also a high flow exhaust bigger exhaust manifold with larger pipe.Easy to tell them 3 Inch pipe from Y pipe through cat till muffler which is bigger.Again they all rated the same at 200 hp.What they call true vortecs with 8 intake bolts as opposed to older 12 bolts were from 96 on.Again same flow rating as 94-95 on heads and also same rated horse power.This is what I have read there may be some variation but this is close.My van came factory with alot of mixed parts and it runs really well.
chevymaherchevymaher is online!
Team Leader
Team Leader
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: chevymaher has been a member for 3 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 3 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 3 full years
Topics: 60
Alias (AKA): chevymaher
Year: 1994
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: SLE RWD cam ported

Postby jeff's93astro » December 25th 2010, 8:18am

I've been reading a lot lately about the vortecs espically the v8's. But from what i've read is the good vtrue vortec heads weren't made until 96 when it went to 8 intake bolts and they have a triple triangle casting on the end of the head. but the 88-95 tbi v8 put out 210hp and in 96 when they changed heads it went to 255hp.
88 Silverado 5.7L RWD 284,000 miles (going 383 soon)
93 Astro CS 4.3L RWD 230,000 miles (89 Astro 4.3)
ImageImage
jeff's93astro
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L2)
Years of Membership: jeff's93astro has been a member for 5 full yearsjeff's93astro has been a member for 5 full yearsjeff's93astro has been a member for 5 full yearsjeff's93astro has been a member for 5 full yearsjeff's93astro has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 53
Extra Info: CS 4.3L V6 RWD

Postby Mr_Bowtie » December 25th 2010, 11:04am

I thought I read somewhere that the '92 Astro W motor had the most HP of all the years by like 10HP. I use to own one and couldn't tell the difference.... :lol:

My '96 is way more responsive then the '92 I had and both had the same amount of miles on them at the time 168K miles. Difference in TQ maybe.
'96 Astro AWD 206K miles!
31" tires LIFTED 4" total with tires! SOLD! :(
Mr_Bowtie
250k+ Miles
250k+ Miles
Years of Membership: Mr_Bowtie has been a member for 5 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 5 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 5 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 5 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 69
Alias (AKA): Nick
Year: 1996
Extra Info: Lifted AWD

Postby chevymaherchevymaher is online! » December 25th 2010, 1:54pm

hey jeff where did you read about these motors.Your source seems much more in tune to reality than the load of @@@@ I found.What you found is real close to computer simulation I used so I really interested to read it to.A man in the know makes better decisions kind of deal.
Team Leader
Team Leader
Years of Membership: chevymaher has been a member for 3 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 3 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 3 full years

Postby Phantom » December 25th 2010, 2:03pm

I recently read an article on the 4.3 , the name vortec was used pre 96 but 96 is when they considered a true vortec,,whatever that is supposed to say , 96 had revisions that made more power and durability , as even newer versions went to things like roller lifters , I'll have to pull out the article to reread it, I have it saved , one very important thing to remember is torque , high HP numbers with low torque numbers are not impressive engines on the street like high torque engines are , 190 HP @ 360 torque @ 2800rpm is better than
200 HP @ 275 torque @ 4000 RPM , these are just random numbers , I'll have to look up the data to give the actual HP & Torque numbers , but the point is , in order for it to be fast , the HP has to be available at an RPM range that the car can utilize , and get there quick as opposed to having a high HP that can only be available at high rpm , The reason most Big Blocks Engines Rule the streets is because they provide massive torque with high HP at a usable rpm range around 2600 -2800
Phantom
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L4)
Years of Membership: Phantom has been a member for 4 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 4 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 4 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 15

Postby chevymaherchevymaher is online! » December 25th 2010, 2:22pm

That where I getting lost with the things Phantom.One source saying one thing another saying another.From what I read mine all messed up.I got counter shaft, roller rockers,And the eyebrows on the head intake ports indicating from what I read it a W head for the port injection.But it a 94 my mom owned it from new and this original motor.It got TBI.And that huge exhaust I read about.Over 3 inch pipe from Y back to muffler.Exhaust manifolds and exhaust way bigger than the identical looking 90 astro I had.And unlike another car I had and foolishly mentioned somewhere else.I got this one in my hand.
Team Leader
Team Leader

Postby Gary » December 25th 2010, 2:34pm

Here us a ref:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_Astro

A common mistake is to start a mod on the wrong end.What I mean is to do a gear change in the rear end and tire selection first and then tailor the engine mod's towards that with a torque curve and a hp rating to compliment what the normal rpm range is.So I suggest you change gear ratios first and tire selection.4.10's are more towards towing in a hilly area and city as a example.
ImageImageImage

Keeping it real.
Gary
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L3)
Years of Membership: Gary has been a member for 6 full yearsGary has been a member for 6 full yearsGary has been a member for 6 full yearsGary has been a member for 6 full yearsGary has been a member for 6 full yearsGary has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 124
Extra Info: high top

Postby chevymaherchevymaher is online! » December 25th 2010, 2:39pm

That a good post and I read that one on wik end to end Gary.Mine also came with the 4.10 I would have to look again but I read my owners manual end to end when I got it.Serial number reflected towing option.
Team Leader
Team Leader

Postby Gary » December 25th 2010, 2:40pm

chevymaher wrote:That where I getting lost with the things Phantom.One source saying one thing another saying another.From what I read mine all messed up.I got counter shaft, roller rockers,And the eyebrows on the head intake ports indicating from what I read it a W head for the port injection.But it a 94 my mom owned it from new and this original motor.It got TBI.And that huge exhaust I read about.Over 3 inch pipe from Y back to muffler.Exhaust manifolds and exhaust way bigger than the identical looking 90 astro I had.And unlike another car I had and foolishly mentioned somewhere else.I got this one in my hand.

Look at the vin number.TBI's I think where all X engines.
ImageImageImage

Keeping it real.
Gary
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer
Years of Membership: Gary has been a member for 6 full yearsGary has been a member for 6 full yearsGary has been a member for 6 full yearsGary has been a member for 6 full yearsGary has been a member for 6 full yearsGary has been a member for 6 full years

Postby chevymaherchevymaher is online! » December 25th 2010, 2:44pm

Thats what odd. vin says it a tb4 that only came in cyclones typhoons.Everything I read says the motor I got did not come in van.But serial number on dash says it did.All I know is when I tried to replace the stripeing at dealer Thay told me it was a conversion van that it went some place for upgrades.What they upgraded beyond me it totally stock body and interior excapt graphics it had.Same situation as past car I owned.
Team Leader
Team Leader

Postby Phantom » December 25th 2010, 3:12pm

Here is a summary of VIN codes

# Z- 4.3 L w/ TBI,
# W- 4.3 L w/ CPI,
# X- 4.3 L w/ SFI,
# W- 4.3 w/ CSFI
# X- ('03-'04) 4.3 L w/MFI

In 96 the CSFI was introduced Central Sequential Fuel Injection,
Last edited by Phantom on December 25th 2010, 6:37pm, edited 3 times in total.
Phantom
Years of Membership: Phantom has been a member for 4 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 4 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 4 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 4 full years

Postby Gary » December 25th 2010, 3:20pm

Yeah know,I screw that up.It's not a X,but a Z. :doh: :dunce: I'll go set in the corner now.Sorry. :banghead:
ImageImageImage

Keeping it real.
Gary
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer

Postby chevymaherchevymaher is online! » December 25th 2010, 3:25pm

Yes it a Z
Team Leader
Team Leader

Postby Phantom » December 25th 2010, 3:38pm

the CSFI....the pics illustrate the different configuration
Attachments
94 -95 4.3L  W  CPI .jpg
94 -95 CPI injection
94 -95 4.3L W CPI .jpg (25.81 KiB) Viewed 2663 times
96 and Later   CSFI injection  4.3L W Engine.jpg
96 and Later CSFI injection 4.3L W engine
96 and Later CSFI injection 4.3L W Engine.jpg (15.57 KiB) Viewed 2663 times
Phantom

Postby Mr_Bowtie » December 25th 2010, 4:15pm

4.10 gears are for more then just pulling if you ask me......... :layrubber:

So, '96 is a TRUE vortec that makes more sense cause my '96 pulls way harder then all my pre-' 96 Vans do/did.
'96 Astro AWD 206K miles!
31" tires LIFTED 4" total with tires! SOLD! :(
Mr_Bowtie
250k+ Miles
250k+ Miles
Years of Membership: Mr_Bowtie has been a member for 5 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 5 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 5 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 5 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 69
Alias (AKA): Nick
Year: 1996
Extra Info: Lifted AWD

Postby Gary » December 25th 2010, 5:34pm

Well my point is you start with a gear/tire size change mod first.Then if you not pleased with that,mod the engine next to match the power curve.This O/P I suggest does that first.

My 1994 is hands down faster than the 1985 and both have miles on them that is very close to each other.
Gary
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer

Postby Phantom » December 25th 2010, 7:25pm

buick68 wrote:Hello, I have a 1995 RWD Astro, Im thinking about adding some horsepower, or should i do a engine swapp for a diffrent year that is faster from the factory? i was told that the 1995 Vortec has the larger heads ect. is this true? does the 1995 have the faster engine from 1988 to 2004??

If you plan on an engine swap , a 5.7L Sequential Tuned Port Injection would be the way to go , the swap is about as easy as another 4.3 swap , rather than focusing on which year 4.3 is better, a V8 is better than a V6 for more power . The LT1 is easy for the 95 to older , as it does not need all the emissions stuff and there are a lot of performance mods for available for it . Sometimes when it comes to factory rated HP numbers there can be a difference of 20 HP in having a tuned exhaust and better PCM programming . A combination of performance mods is what is key , tuned headers with an X crossover pipe , and other simple mods . Rear gears should be considered in the equation but no matter what gears you have you will notice a big difference swapping in a V8 and you may find the rear gears you now have is what you want to use as there are various ratios used for the same year(s)
Phantom

Postby jeff's93astro » December 26th 2010, 4:15am

chevymaher wrote:hey jeff where did you read about these motors.Your source seems much more in tune to reality than the load of @@@@ I found.What you found is real close to computer simulation I used so I really interested to read it to.A man in the know makes better decisions kind of deal.

Let me find it and i'll post it. But I do know some of my information came from http://www.gmt400.com where i'm also a member of. Its where i got the inspiration to build a 350hp/400tq TBI motor.
88 Silverado 5.7L RWD 284,000 miles (going 383 soon)
93 Astro CS 4.3L RWD 230,000 miles (89 Astro 4.3)
ImageImage
jeff's93astro
Years of Membership: jeff's93astro has been a member for 5 full yearsjeff's93astro has been a member for 5 full yearsjeff's93astro has been a member for 5 full yearsjeff's93astro has been a member for 5 full yearsjeff's93astro has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 53
Extra Info: CS 4.3L V6 RWD