Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

Misfire at idle

1K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  MauiSafari 
#1 ·
Just purchased a 2000 Safari, 130K miles, to be used for hardware store runs....

Need some help please, I have a minor misfire at idle...

Pulled the codes and got the following..
P0300 - Multiple Cyl Misfire
P0304 Cly 4 misfire
P1345 Camshaft to Crankshaft Position Correlation Fault

I'll trace down the Cly 4 issue...would someone please post the firing order, any suggestions on what the possible cause is? Plugs were replaced by PO recently, plug wires look new as does the dist. cap. Thinking maybe a dirty injector????

As for the P1345 any suggestions as to what is causing this and a possible repair?

Thanks in advance for your time. :eek:bscene-drinkingcheers:

#2 ·
Just because it was done before doesn't mean it was done right, or at least not the culprit. If it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck... its dinner.

In this case, worn out dizzy. Time for Skip White to save the day once again.
Have you read through the forum much, its literally everywhere LOL.

Here is AstroWill's reference material...

https://sites.google.com/site/astrosafa ... or-disease

#3 ·
Wimpazz, thanks for taking the time to reply and provide information however YES I have looked around the forum for answers and saw the same document which you so kindly provided. I do not believe the distributor is the issue. I measured the amount of movement and lining up a tape measure on one of the raised lines on top of the rotor I get exactly 1/16" of movement. Based on the videos on the document you provided that appears to be well below the allowable limit. :eek:bscene-drinkingcheers:

I belong to several forums for all my cars and motorcycles and understand the issues with newbies asking repetitive questions however that is what these forums are all about, to help those with less knowledge and I truly appreciate all the help I can get.

Anyone else have any suggestions?

#4 ·
Plug wires being new doesn't mean they're good.

Mist water on them while idling - in the dark, if possible. If you see any arcy-sparky, the wires are bad. The flat caps are also problematic - if it's not an AC Delco, replace it. It could have a slight crack or malformation in the cap that causes tracking.

Having said that, it could be the #4 injector or plug - or cylinder. Leakdown test will test the cylinder. Look at the plug for discoloration or cracked insulator. Pressurize the system with the #4 injector unclipped (pull the coil wire so you cannot start the van and cause a spark) and see if it's leaky or varnished shut.

#5 ·
Not a newbie issue bro, its all good, please ask the questions, that's how we learn. I didn't see that you read posts, so good start. Again... because it was done already doesn't mean they did it right and its not the problem.

I had a mechanic do a tune up on my van. They cracked 3 of 6 plugs, the brand new AC Delco wires they used leaked, they forgot vacuum lines... you name it. I chased a misfire forever thinking... hmmm... what looks & acts like a shorted wire, a cracked plug and bad MAF. The answer was... shorted wires, cracked plug and an air hose that was bent up from ripping it off the TB.

Do the basics, check connections, pull the #4 plug, etc.
The reason I'm looking at the dizzy as an issue is P0300 and P1345 are usually both dizzy related. The Skip White dizzy is $50 and lasts forever. Now, I'm not a fan of throwing parts at a problem until you find the right one, but in this case its a cheap part, quick fix, upgrade for the future. Comes with a good cap n rotor as well as cam position sensor.

EDIT: Leeann beat me to it haha so x2 w/ Leeann!

#7 ·
well after waiting 6 weeks for the new Distributor from Skip Whiter, not the sellers fault it was shipped Priority Mail made it to the West Coast in one day but then some dumb A** at the post office failed to see it was shipped 3 day Priority Mail and put it in a Parcel Post bin going to Hawaii by boat!

Anyway came in yesterday, installed today. Bit of a PIA getting the oil pump drive to line up and of course I installed it 180 out the first time. So lifted distributor just enough to spin the cap, got it lined up correctly and Van fired right up.

Crank Position code went away, still have a random cyl. #4 misfire, cleared it and drove around the block did not return. Will see how it does.

#8 ·
Take a compression test. In the old days, a miss at idle many times was due to a burnt valve.

Pull all the plugs. Make sure the battery is fully charged. Screw the tester into one of the plug holes, and crank the engine over 8 times without stopping. Write down the reading and move to the next cylinder.

When you're done all 6, look at the numbers. If the missing cylinder is lower than the rest, it's time to do a leak down test to determine where the compressed air is going. If the compression numbers are within 15% of each other and OVER 100psi each, the engine is ok mechanically, and your misfire cause is external.

#9 ·
I'm hoping the distributor takes care of your issues. My Skip White is still in the box waiting for me to feel well enough to install it. Lucky me though, mine was here in 2 or 3 days.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.