Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

Ticking, Knocking Sound, High Oil Pressure?

8K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  chevymaher 
#1 ·
I have a 2000 GMC Safari v6 vortec. I recently replaced the thermostat as it was overheating and had the oil changed. The other weekend I was leaving the ski resort and when I started the van I heard a ticking sound for about 5 seconds than it went away, I turned the van off and checked the oil which was full and fine looking. I than started it a continued to drive home, I noticed the oil pressure was running above normal at times and would fluctuate from high to low on my 60 mile ride home. I parked the van and later in the night went to move it and the ticking sound was back and wont go away. It get faster if you rev the van and slows down as it idles? It has 163,000 miles on it. Could this be a stuck lifter or oil pump? Im hoping this isnt the end of the van, any incite would be greatly appreciated.

#2 ·
How badly was it overheating? This all started right after the oil change? So now the noise is all the time, I would try and get an oil gauge on there and see what it is reading. I would be careful driving it until you can find out your oil pressure.

#3 ·
It was overheating pretty bad pinned to the highest it could go. The noise is all the time, I ran it for a bout 15 minutes and havent driven it anywhere yet, the oil pressure on the guage is pretty high but goes up as the motor is revved.

#5 ·
loula said:
It was overheating pretty bad pinned to the highest it could go. The noise is all the time, I ran it for a bout 15 minutes and havent driven it anywhere yet, the oil pressure on the guage is pretty high but goes up as the motor is revved.
sounds like a oil passage got blocked.The one to the lifters.thinking this because of the ticking and higher oil pressure.If the lifters oil starved it would cause ticking and pressure would not bleed off through lifters causing pressure to rise.if it was not having pressure to main galley a hammering sound would develop.these all guesses as I cant see and test motor.I would in your shoes.Get mechanical gauge to verify high pressure.If this is the case and true pressure.Next move would be pull the valve covers to see if they getting oil to the rockers while it running.One bank or the other may be blocked.again hypothesis based on your situation.Overheating broke internal deposits loose and one blocked passage.Drain oil and check for debris carbon lumps shavings of metal.After checking pressure and oil to lifters.this is how I would start.After these questions answered move on to other test.If blocked galley found then we get a plan to reverse blockage.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.