Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

Coolant Leak Q part 2

909 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Leeann_93 
#1 ·
I have a slow leak. Nothing is dripping on the ground. I poured in the radiator a 1 oz bottle of UV dye. I drove two days to work, 100 miles. I am confused by the results.
I was expecting to find one spot where the leak was. Instead much of the top of the engine is covered with dye. It looks like something is dripping on a pully or the serptine belt and slung it to the top. The biggest concentration is on the bottom of the power steering pump. There is a noticable amount on the top of the intake manifold. I pulled the dip stick and the oil lights up some. This engine has never been overheated. It has 220K on it. I had the intake manifold gaskets replaced 75 k ago.

The intake manifold gasket has gone bad again............tell me this isn't true

#2 ·
nyukx3fan said:
Instead much of the top of the engine is covered with dye. It looks like something is dripping on a pully or the serptine belt and slung it to the top. The biggest concentration is on the bottom of the power steering pump.

The intake manifold gasket has gone bad again............tell me this isn't true
Sounds to me like it is more the possibility of the weep hole in the water pump leaking and getting thrown up and blown back but if the cheap plastic core intake gasket was used in the replacement it is entirely possible that it has gone bad again.

#3 ·
You are correct!!!!...........I power washed the engine today to start over looking for the dye. I realized if the LIM gasket was leaking it would just run down the side of the block and drip on the ground. Since it was all over the engine, it had to be dripping on a belt or pully. Looked at weep hole, there was dye coming out of the weep hole and it would drip straight on the belt which throws it at the power steering pump.

Thank you

#4 ·
While you are at it check the radiator where the core meets the tank ends. That and the heater core will be next on the list of leaks to fix. The heater control valves are cheap plastic and will likely break if you start messing with the heater hoses. If you have the rear heater there will be a 6 port and a 2 port valve. No rear heat will only be a 4 port valve.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.