Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

Is this a fuel pump gone bad??????

2K views 16 replies 4 participants last post by  Leeann_93 
#1 ·
Been running like a top, no problems EVER at all until today. Went to the grocery store, fine, no problem, went to go home, started fine, I pulled up to the stop sign and BOOM it shuddered and died. It started back up but I had to pump the accelerator to keep it running, limped back home pumping the accelerator, about 8 blocks. What do you all think? :shrug: :shrug:

I keep the tank full always. 91,000 miles. What to check or do? 1994 Astro

Thanks all

#3 ·
Wimpazz said:
Fuel filter would be a good start. Were you low on gas at the time?
I noted in my post that I alway keep my tank full, when I get close to 1/2 tank I fill up. I changed my fuel filter a while back but I will check it.

Thanks

#5 ·
xit said:
I noted in my post that I alway keep my tank full, when I get close to 1/2 tank I fill up.....
ummmm... :confused: you sure 'bout that?

Any flash codes yet? If fuel filter is off the table, I'm with TnB, fuel pressure test is a good place to go next.

#10 ·
TurnNburn said:
when the key is turned on there should be a super soakers amount of fuel coming out of that line... you gotta dead pump bud. she is 23 years young, older then most
That was my thinking after checking the filter.

Thanks
\
Fun will be had by all :cheers: :cheers:

#12 ·
Leeann_93 said:
First, check your EGR valve. When mine was stuck open with a chunk of carbon (on my '93), it acted like that.
Even the no gas from the fuel line? EGR should have no effect on fuel delivery.

EGR should probably get pulled and cleaned anyway. They are notorious as well

#16 ·
DSCF1821.JPG
DSCF1819.JPG

Yesterday, I raised it up on jack stands, all four wheels & siphoned out ~ 22 gallons of fuel. Dropped the tank & installed the new Delphi pump & strainer. The toughest part was removing the four hoses & filler hose.
Not an easy job, took about 3 1/2 hours doing this myself, if I had to do it again it would be much quicker. What made it nice was to have a huge building with a concrete floor & a big air compressor & all the tools I needed.

When I got home there was plenty of cold beer to cool me down. :cheers: :cheers:

Thanks for all the input from all of you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.